Gray water... why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedogz

Reaction score
I tried searching for this question, but for lack of either keywords or context I got nowhere.

I found a lot of mentions from folks who save/accumulate their gray water from washing/dishes/etc. for later disposal. This is most common in the bigger RVs where they might accumulate 10 gallons on a weekend. But I've een some YT videos of people saving up a quart until they to a "disposal" place.

For a vanlifer who might accumulate 1-2 gallons a day of face-wash-water, are we not overthinking? I mean, if I washed my hands at a hose bib and left the suds on the ground, nobody would even notice. Same if I washed my car, or a plate.

Now, I'm NOT talking about washing food waste into the gutter, nor about peeing on the roadside, nor anything else that puts permanent or hazardous gunk anywhere. I AM talking about- if I build a "sink" into my setup, how critical is it to capture the miniscule amount of gray water I expect to generate?

Gray water attracts animals and especially insects, it is illegal to dump even small amounts it’s in certain areas but people pour out or spill coffee or drinks occasionally. Vehicle air conditioners drain water on the ground by design. If you build in a drain it makes pretty oblivious where water is coming from and can cause problems if not contained and properly handled. As a full timer you learn to conserve water while cleaning and showering or join a gym and and use laundromats if urban. You need to change your attitude from a sticks and bricks environment to a camping in a steel tent one. You will not have the space or weight capacity to use water as you did in a sticks and bricks. Spray bottles and microfiber towels and wet wipes are your friend! Lol!!!