Searching for a quality all metal faucet & water pump system

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anothertry

Reaction score
I couldn't find a section for plumbing/kitchen sink/water systems so I'm posting this here.

Having researched a variety of kitchen sink water systems I am having difficulty finding either USB, 12V electric or manual hand pumps made from quality parts such as stainless steel, brass and silicone. Most items use a lot of plastic which breaks easily.
I've spent many hours searching Amazon and Google and have searched these forums and others but am not finding anything.
I'm aware I could get metal pipes and build a plumbing system but finding a manual pump with metal housing will still be the issue.
An "old style" metal well water pump would work in concept but probably not with a small water container since the pumping distance is very short and there may be a lack of flow control with such a pump.

1. The Whale Babyfoot manual foot pump body is plastic and the pumping diaphragm is neoprene.
I was told by the manufacturer it's not certified for potable water but can be used for washing hands and doing dishes.
I suggested they make the same model but use stainless steel or silicone for the body and diaphragm to make it food grade/medical grade for drinking water.  So for some of us this is ok to use for washing but not drinking.

2. For drinking I have considered those USB/battery electric dispensers that attach to the top of a 5 gallon water jug, but the dozens of brands and models appear to be all cheaply made from China. The interior housing on probably all of these is made from plastic and breaks easily and it's the same story for a lot of other manual or electric water pumps/faucets. This small electric dispenser pump is a "shortcut" versus buying a bigger electric pump system which costs more.

3. An online review comment about the Valterra hand pump: "I bought this pump to replace one of the exact same type I had installed just a couple months ago.  The pump's housing is too weak at the ports for the spout and the pump handle; tightening the spout or handle gland nuts to attempt to eliminate leakage just causes the housing to fracture at the threads, and then it sucks air through the cracks and won't pump water at all. And still leaks.
This could be eliminated by redesigning the housing to add more material to the port areas, or by changing to a metal housing--I seem to recall that the housing was at one time made of cast zinc--but I think that's unlikely to happen, since ValTerra basically has a monopoly and every cracked housing means that they can sell another $35 pump."

4. Mcmaster Carr has some pumps but these are expensive and seem to be for the commercial market.

5. I found this water control foot pedal. It is not a pump but used to stop/start the flow of water, probably via an electric system. But this is useful to look at as it is all metal and looks like a quality part. Now I just need to find an actual electric dispenser or manual hand pump made like this.

To me it makes more sense to spend more money on a faucet/water pump that has some type of metal housing and thread which will last longer.
The last thing you need is a water leak while out on the road and waiting to get a plastic replacement part which might still crack again so I'd like to avoid all plastic types.
I suppose I could try to modify existing hardware but I'll waste time buying it and if I fail I can't return it.

Does anyone know of a catalog meant for the RV consumer market with quality metal pumps?
I'd like to find either the small electric dispenser type or manual pump type with a metal housing and thread.
The tubing/hosing I can buy separate - silicone, natural/gum rubber, etc.

Forget the RV catalogs. Go to a marine supply store. Fisheries Supply out of Seattle is a great source for faucets and pumps. They do phone orders, internet orders, mail order and have a great big shipping area in the bottom floor of the building. That is where I got my faucet and pump.

I use one of those cheaply made, plastic pumps that uses two D cells and sits on a 5 gallon water bottle. I use it for my daily drinking water as well as refilling my fresh water tank 30 gallons at a time. I am on my second replacing the first when the switch on the cap went out after 4 years. Bob has a video of me using it to transfer water from my truck to the trailer.

A basic RV water pump is made out of plastic but they don't exactly break all that easy unless they freeze.

maki2 said:
Forget the RV catalogs. Go to a marine supply store. 

Fantastic. That's what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if quick connect fittings leak? My 12 volt DC pump puts out around 45 lbs per sq in.

jimindenver said:
A basic RV water pump is made out of plastic but they don't exactly break all that easy unless they freeze.

OOPS! I moved the electric off the cold back porch and inside yesterday.  Now I see that I should move the water pump inside, forward the bathroom wall.

It sure makes it easy to design when you can get tips from others that have already gone before.

Come to think of it, I must find a way to heat the back tailgate kitchen when the back of the van is cold and closed. I can't let it fall below 32f.