OREGON '23...............Postcards from the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rocks flung out behind trucks sure do like to hang suspended in the air waiting for me so they can get another rebound in.

Ouch.....That detour hurt.......We left Pahrump Wed. and 300 miles later we're right back in Pahrump on Thurs.

I left my DEBIT CARD in a 'Square' reader in Pahrump !................We'll TRY to escape again on Friday !

Paulette might Never let me hear the end of this One....................................

The mountain behind us is frosted in New Snow today !

Looing forward to seeing you guys again and officially getting Pirate Camp kicked of for the season!

Also, I don't blame Paulette for never letting you live this one down. LOL

Not a huge deal, really, just calling the bank, cancelling the card and having them send a new one. However, that wouldn't have helped you today.

*grin* That's why I have two cards...just in case.

...and our address is Q......not helpful for shopping/supplies !.....and I have access to two cards....Me&Mrs.....GRIN

WHO's in camp..........Mark.....Maki......Scott.....?

Soon..................

Now that you have that debit card….It sure would be nice to have some treats from that French Bakery on Basin street in Pahrump….of course only If your freezer has room left for anything.

There was one more person here but he left. I have mostly been in hibernation mode when not out running errands or exploring. I was checked out the Tyson Wash area several days ago as I had never really explored much of that LTVA on that side of the hwy. Unkown when those water and dump stations will open but likely to be open before the last days of the fiscal year 2023 or perhaps not until the first days of budget year 2024. Follow the money 🤑

I stopped the other day at the entry kiosk at Tyson Wash I asked the volunteers working the intake counter when water and dump would be turned and they said next week. I then asked how long they had been responding with ‘next week” and they said since around the first week of October. I then asked what the real time estimate was and they responded the real goal of the BLM was to have that facility operational in time for the January crowds arrived.
I have been here about 2 weeks now. The second day I drove over there and saw a couple of guys who had opened the main water valve as the potable water station. They appeared to be flushing out the line. I have seen no other activity going on at that facility or the waste dump.

Right now there is road work happening at the 4 Quartzsite LTVA entry road areas. They finished with La Posa South Last week. This week they were working on La Posa North. La Posa West and Tyson Wash have not yet received the final coating of oil and fine gravel layers. Logically they will not be opening the new facilities at Tyson Wash waste water and fresh water fill until after that road work is completed as the those areas and the wide waiting area for the waste water dump lines also need to have that final hard surface layer applied to them before that facility opens.

So do not put a firm belief in that
“open in just one week” rumor. They have not even installed any sign post or signage for those facilities.

Of course it would be nice to have Pirate Camp over at Tyson Wash as there is a lot stronger signal from the cell towers over towards those mountains compared to the signal at La Posa South. I get one maybe two bars and nearly useless speed in the evenings of Verizon at the traditional Pirate camp location compared to 4 bars and much faster speeds at Tyson Wash as you get towards the intersection of the Tyson Wash entry road and the Old Yuma Road. Also all along the Old Yuma Road which continues on into the back area of La Posa West. But come January the speeds on cell towers will be slow everywhere in the Quartzsite camping areas. So it does not much matter where you camp unless you stay up very late or get up very early to go online with a cellular service.

Last edited:
Of course it would be nice to have Pirate Camp over at Tyson Wash as there is a lot stronger signal from the cell towers over towards those mountains compared to the signal at La Posa South. I get one maybe two bars and nearly useless speed in the evenings of Verizon at the traditional Pirate camp location compared to 4 bars and much faster speeds at Tyson Wash as you get towards the intersection of the Tyson Wash entry road and the Old Yuma Road. Also all along the Old Yuma Road which continues on into the back area of La Posa West. But come January the speeds on cell towers will be slow everywhere in the Quartzsite camping areas. So it does not much matter where you camp unless you stay up very late or get up very early to go online with a cellular service.

The problem isn't necessarily location so much as tower availability.

To my knowledge there are only 4 towers total in Q. Three just on this side of main street (two near the vendor areas, one on the other side of 95 from the vendor area in one of the old RV parks) and one on the other side of main street probably 1/4 mile from it. I know that one of the towers is strictly T-Mobile, don't know about the other two but obviously at least one is Verizon.

As populated as Q gets during the season, the towers simply get overwhelmed in the evenings (when most people are settling in for the night and streaming movies and such). What needs to happen is the cell companies need to realize that for 7 months out of the year the cell towers they have here are just plain inadequate.

Every time I end up contacting visible for whatever reason I point this out to them and let them know just how much more populated Q gets during the season. I also make the suggestion that they place a new tower on 95 between all four LTVAs. I think this would help quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts