OREGON '23...............Postcards from the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what yet, but it looks like they are doing some kind of work on the main road.

Bigger than car or truck machines with lots of wheels driving up and down the road.

Camilla and John will be heading to Quartzsite this year. Still in the stage of figuring out what to bring along.

Perhaps sometime this week I will stop at the entry gate over at Tyson Wash and see if the attendants know what is going on with the roadwork and when is the opening date for the new wastewater dump and freshwater fill stations.

Last edited:
I am officially quartered in Quartzsite. I'm over in an RV park, but I'm in town.

All you Tonka toy lovers are missing some very good lawn chair viewing entertainment at the La Posa South Pirate Campsite. Road work vehicles of many types and sizes are busy making noise today. It is quite the Richard Scary “Busy Town” childrens’ book scene! Including funny cars, vans, motorcycles, OHVs, Semi truck cabs, box trucks, pickups, motorhomes, trailers,bicycles, people and dogs. What it is not is a quiet, relaxed, serene dispersed camping scene 😆

Last edited:
From a volunteer...

1. The brochure in the pic is one EVERYONE should have received when checking in to the LTVA areas. If you didn't get one, be sure to pick one up at any LTVA station. It includes current rules, map locations etc.

2. If you pre-registered and paid online at reg.gov etc, you are required to bring your PRINTED RECEIPT to the window. NO EXCEPTIONS. We do not look up nor print your receipt for you. You can get your receipt printed for small fee at the library or the truckstops.

3. Burning Pallets & Construction Materials.
While currently legal, a Supplemental Rule banning the burning of pallets etc will soon be forth coming. So it is highly recommended you forgo stock piling pallets etc. Nails, metals and hazardous materials have become a big problem, especially when campsites are abandoned.

4. New Dump/Water Station at Tyson Wash:
Expected to be open fully operational within next 2 weeks.

Currently running operational tests now.
Will have 4 lanes and should move much faster but obviously there will be some wait time at times. Water is tentatively expected to run 24/7 to see how it goes.

5. La Posa South Dump/Water station. Will remain in place for now till further notice. When Tyson Wash Station Opens, the water trailer blueboy dump will be first to be removed. So plan on that accordingly.

6. La Posa South Water is turned off from 6pm to 6am so that the well can recover. If no water available, you can thank those that sneak in after hours, use the water, leave it running etc, and even dump without using drain or water hoses etc.

7. The LTVA Program was initiated in 1983 and was designed to be self-supporting without use of tax payer dollars. Currently that is not happening as cost such as trash removal have quadrupled since the last rate raise in 2008.

Therefore expect a future increase for seasonal LTVA passes probably next season. $300 was mentioned as possible rate but still a good deal for 7 months LTVA camping.

8. Vendors: The District is all in favor of those who provide professional related services such as rv repairs, mechanical etc.

HOWEVER you will have obtain a BLM Vendors Permit in addition to any Quartzite City or State Requirements.
The process can be lengthy so don't wait till Next month or later to apply and get it started.
To get vendor process started, you MUST FIRST contact District Head Ranger Bill Alexander at (928) 580-0486. Be patient and he'll get back with you asap to work out what needs to be done to accommodate you.

They put on the first layer of oil today spread onto a brand new layer of fine gravel starting over by the dump, fill and trash area. Hopefully that will help with keeping the dust down. It was a much firmer surface than the graded road surface was without those toppings. I drove on it when I took my vehicle over to the dumpsters.

Most of the roads in rural Utah that are considered “paved” are done in a similar way and is the reason most vehicles have chipped or cracked windshields in my opinion. Drive very slowly for a few miles after driving over it till it gets packed down.

Most of the roads in rural Utah that are considered “paved” are done in a similar way and is the reason most vehicles have chipped or cracked windshields in my opinion. Drive very slowly for a few miles after driving over it till it gets packed down.
Note that I am not disputing what you have stated. But just adding some extra cautions regarding your advice because that advice can lead persons into a situation that creates a safety hazard for themselves. It is one of the situations where taking precautions for safety to others can lead into yet more precautions needed when doing that.

That road leads onto the 65 mph Hwy 95 on which many persons exceed that speed limit. It has quite a lot of semi tractor trailer traffic on it. If anyone is going to enter onto that road and drive a at a slow spreed then they should be using flashing hazard lights and staying close to the shoulder of the road while doing so because they will be getting passed from behind by vehicles traveling at a much higher rate of speed.

There are always going to be rock chips happening most everywhere you go. That is situation normal. I accumulated several small ones in the last year.

Never had as many back east of the Mississippi River, those were usually caused by overloaded trucks not the road surface.

Never had as many back east of the Mississippi River, those were usually caused by overloaded trucks not the road surface.
As a former trucker I get the red ass when I c rock haulers with loads not tarped. Where I live some even have the nerve to paint across the tailgate: "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts