OREGON '23...............Postcards from the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, saw you as we came in. We're brown f350+5th wheel. Will stop by before we head to Tonopah.

Well, the fire ring is still here (where we were last year), though it looks a bit smaller than I remember.

Also, they did indeed redo the main road...and now there is no blacktop other than maybe the first about ten feet in, the rest is dirt road. However, NO POTHOLES!!

Not sure if there were always three RV dump stations but if there weren't there are now. Water and trash look the same as last year. Didn't think to check the blueboy dump on the way in.

Not sure if I am remembering correctly, but they may have leveled the area a bit.

I’d rather have the potholes then the dust... but that’s just me... here we thought they’d maybe take out the dump station on the la posa south side with the added new station on the Tyson side. Glad you could make it back Mark. I hope the van is serving you well.

According to Q Chatter on FB..........

Tyson dump station won't be ready til January at the earliest.....No Electric or Water at the site yet..........

There were two aisles with three ports, one on each edge and in the island.... did you venture over to the other side to see the new setup?
I haven't gone to the other areas as yet. Though on the way here from Q I did see what I assume is the remnants of the LP South road piled up in front of one of the North areas.

If I remember I will take a pic of the RV dump setup. Obviously I don't use them so it may be the same.

Last edited:
I’d rather have the potholes then the dust... but that’s just me... here we thought they’d maybe take out the dump station on the la posa south side with the added new station on the Tyson side. Glad you could make it back Mark. I hope the van is serving you well.
I would rather have the road as well, but won't miss the potholes.

As for the van, it's serving me pretty well. 500 miles shy of 200k and no major problems as yet. Though I do need to go into town for super glue to fix the window mechanism on the slider. My fault, not the van's. I also will probably have to go to a salvage yard to fix the directionals as apparently the part I need has been discontinued.

Ah yeah... I forgot. You could dump either side as long as the other lane wasn’t using the middle one... maybe they made a lane for the far right one?
Anyways, the potholes slowed people down and the blacktop controlled the dust. With no potholes people will drive faster no matter the speed limit and will create a constant dust bowl... unless it rains a lot..

You could move Pirate camp further away from the main road into La Posa South. Of course then it would not be an easy walk over to the dumpster to d

Makes sense to be by the vault toilets as you will have Pirate camp visitors who come in needing help who are not set up to qualify as being self contained with holding tanks. So as all the vault toilets a close to the main road that means dust from traffic.

Don't know if there were always three hoses but if there weren't there are now. I didn't get out and check dump holes, though. Obviously I don't use these, so for all I know it could be the same as last year.

Blueboy dump is the same as it was last year, including the rock over the hole and the big non-potable water tank.

Water spigot area is the same on both sides as is the trash dump.

Vault toilet near last year's Pirate Camp area is the same, though the light doesn't appear to be working so make sure to bring a flashlight.

So if the RV dump area is the same as last year, the only change appears to be them removing the asphalt road. Also, be careful pulling onto the side road from the main road, the rock piles aren't worn down much yet from the grading.

Pirate Camp area is still clear (I'm parked in the middle at the moment) including RVNaut's favorite spot.

IMG_20231005_101129639_HDR[1].jpg
IMG_20231005_101201243_HDR[1].jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mark......or should I say Scout...........that's the same old setup.......Two lanes

Just gravel road huh ?............

The campground I spent my summers at growing up had gravel roads. They sprayed them with a black liquid that looked like oil. I just looked it up and I think it was oil:

One caution: do not use waste products such as crankcase drain oil from engines. This is harmful to the environment and is in violation of EPA rules.

Other things used for dust stabilization at the EPA website: https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2015-10/documents/2003_07_24_nps_gravelroads_sec4_0.pdf

So I had a look at the other areas. North and West...*shudder* need lots of work.

Tyson Wash appears to have had work done. They do, indeed have RV dumps now (no clue if they were there before) which do not appear to be open as yet. There is also a very nice water spigot area, which also doesn't appear to be open yet. Both have that orange netting on them.

All three other areas had trash dumps, but only one dumpster at each.

In my opinion South is still the best of the four.

IMG_20231005_155745734[1].jpg
IMG_20231005_161638544[1].jpg

FYI... the road between Pahrump and Henderson is under heavy reconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.