OREGON '23...............Postcards from the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the hood was supposed to be open because rodents don't like being exposed. They prefer an enclosed dark space. So we SHOULD leave it open at night. With a light on the engine bay, if possible.
Mice are not afraid of light. But they are cautious about movement. But if you are doing long stay camping they do begin to get used to the moving lights after a week or so and begin ignoring it. Rodents are pretty clever creatures.

It's still a RODENT !.........I don't care what you call it.......It built and re-built a nest on top of my engine....

I asked a Local Camper..................It was actually a pregnant POCKET GOPHER

Looking to build a safe nest.......SNAP !.......If I didn't squash the face in the trap I could see those FAT CHEEKS

I had never heard the term “pocket gopher” so I looked it up. The name is not used for any particular subset group of gophers. It is just more of a regional thing and it refers to gophers having cheek pockets (pouches) they stuff with food as a means of transporting the food back to their nest. It would be like calling a hamster a pocket hamster as they too have those cheek pouch areas.

I am camped in an area with gopher holes. Hopefully they won’t try to nest in my engine compartment but I suppose they might. However I have been in gopher territory most of the summer and none so far. No mice or rats either as there is too much volcanic rock in the soil for any nest digging other than by the gophers. The gophers can’t even create the typical dirt mounds in this soil. Fortunately those volcanic rocks also reduce the issue of getting stuck in the mud during the monsoon season.

To repel rodents, my first thought is a cat or dog, and a roll of fencing to circle the vehicle. Have a separate strip along the top that flexes inward to discourage climbers.

Yes, the bulk would be a nuisance, but how much does damage repair cost, in comparison?

^^^Trying to fight nature on its home territory is seldom successful. Maybe an electric fence coated in peanut butter! Lol!!! Pets/ their food and feces attract more pests than they get rid of usually in my experience. Just saying!

Mice are not afraid of light. But they are cautious about movement. But if you are doing long stay camping they do begin to get used to the moving lights after a week or so and begin ignoring it. Rodents are pretty clever creatures.
Do they run from loud noises? This is overkill, but how about hood raised, a light and a motion activated fog horn?

I had never heard the term “pocket gopher” so I looked it up. The name is not used for any particular subset group of gophers.

The park ranger told me all about them.........They have evolved to match the color of their surroundings.........they dig burrows but NOT mounds..........Please don't "hunt" them.............

""The smooth-toothed pocket gophers, genus Thomomys, are so called because they are among the only pocket gophers without grooves on their incisors. They are also called the western pocket gophers because they are distributed in western North America. Wikipedia""

Last edited:
""The smooth-toothed pocket gophers, genus Thomomys, are so called because they are among the only pocket gophers without grooves on their incisors. They are also called the western pocket gophers because they are distributed in western North America. Wikipedia""
I was picturing tiny kangaroos… haha!

Ah man that sucks! I hope she had insurance. Does she have a place to sleep at this time?
Yes, a tent, sleeping bag and other basic camping gear was given to her by other members of the caravan she is traveling with. Obviously not a good situation to be in but she has people there helping out.

Last edited:
We have moved South to Walker Lake outside of Hawthorne Nevada...............camped at Sportsman Beach ($6) nite .........Buy 6 get the seventh nite FREE !.............$36

Lots of "lake bugs" here so we park overlooking the lake in the Day-use area w/vault toilets......the "camping" area is nearer the lake....... the lake has been drying up for the past 140 years.........down over 175 vertical feet

Great Verizon and ATT/Mifi signal....................COOL nites and wet weather on the Horizon this week

Arrrggggghhhhh

Last edited:
Yes (pending insurance adjuster).........and Yes (a tent).........there's actually a Nomad Love Story happening ........

AND another couple.....Met in the caravan earlier this year and got MARRIED yesterday !

Something in the water..................................
More likely caused by consumption of adult beverages than the water 🤪

Still at Sportsman, abnorm?
We're there. Parked at bottom sorta near boat launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.