FormerQueenOfRoadSteeringtoRTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathleen

Reaction score
Hi friends. I spent many years hauling a heavy load. Not an 18 wheeler, just my car, so much inside, it rode on the axles. My best friend shook his head every year when I took off from my home in the Southwest to drive north. My route was along the old Plains Indian trail, the Rocky Mountain corridor that runs north and south. I've always been prompted by inner guidance, and that's what led me 18 consecutive years along that route. I scoured old forts, battlefields, ceremonial sites, and places of historic interest. Traveled alone and met friends along the way. Joined up with tour groups here and there, got led to conferences and gatherings. The Plains Indian people divided into small groups during the harsh northern winters and gathered again in warm weather in big groups. I found that folks in South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana still do the same today. When the snow melts, people want to join together.

I drove from reservation to reservation and never had a bit of trouble, though I didn't know a soul when I arrived there. Each year I met more beloved friends. I call them my Northern clan. After many happy years on the road I suffered a sudden collapse. All my life I believed in my ability to take care of myself, so this came as a total surprise. For 5 years the people I saw the most were docs and medical staff. Seeing them, and getting poked and probed and tested felt like a full time job, but the help that came out of the woodwork was amazing. I learned about aspects of life I never knew existed before.

Nature was one of my greatest forms of support. Whenever I felt strong enough I walked out my door into the National Forest, in an area others did not travel. I found ancient coral, opalized shells, petrified wood, and minerals of every color. For those with an interest in American Indians you may appreciate that the rocks were very much alive to me. Most consider them to be inanimate objects. To me, they were the Stone People, and I credit them with saving my life.

To bring this story up to date, several years ago I started looking for a van. I figured if the SHTF I may as well have a metal shelter to keep me out of the wind, snow and rain. I also wanted to travel again, in spite of health challenges but I'm not going around the corner at 95 mph on two wheels any more! :blush:

I watched tons of "living in my vehicle" videos and looked at Craigslist every day. Finally in mid June, I turned on the pc while slurping down my first cup of java. There was a 2005 T and C Touring Van, 54k miles, garaged, one owner, never smoked in. Estate sale, a bargain. I called and got the seller of my dreams. He spent a good natured half hour answering my long list of questions. A friend joined me right away and we drove 20 mins out of town to see the van. The service records were all in order along with the vehicle manuals.

We didn't drive test drive it very far. After spending two hours talking about everything under the sun with the man selling the van I decided to buy it based on trust. I had promised myself not to purchase a vehicle without my mechanic's inspection but the seller's phone was ringing off the hook. It helped that the man selling the van was a jet mechanic and he knew car mechanics inside and out too. Couldn't have asked for a better guy, so I bought it.

When my mechanic inspected it two days later he wistfully said he wished he could've bought it. Right away my van gave herself a name: "Freedom", something I'm ready to embrace again. Life's been over the top busy since I bought Freedom. For her maiden voyage out of town nature whipped up one heck of a storm. We cruised through thunder and lightning, a double rainbow, giant clouds, and major excitement til we reached our campsite at a friend's rural location. Lots more to share, but I'm sure there will be a chance to do that later.

If I can get free from family commitments I'll be at the AZ RTR and look forward to meeting all of you and the guy who helps bring the tribe together every year. Yup, that would be Bob. I especially enjoyed that video where he pulled the other van dweller out of the mud. Pretty funny, and the dogs add so much to the show.

On a final note, I'm interested in learning "primitive" skills, which actually aren't primitive at all. Things like gathering medicinal and edible plants, dehydrating and storing high quality food, making pemmican, ancient fishing and hunting, tanning hides, flint knapping, fire making techniques (gotta stay warm), building shelters & lots more.

When I was a kid I saw the future. It pretty much lines up with what Bob wrote in one of his Survival Blogs. I saw the petroleum run out and what followed wasn't pretty. So here we are. It's a good time for us to learn how to take care of ourselves and each other, teach each other what we know, and pool our knowledge. I hope some of you share my "primitive skills" interests and want to learn the same.

Many blessings to all, Kathleen

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Kathleen! If you're interested in primitive skills there's a gathering, near Phoenix, after the RTR. I know a few people who have attened and enjoyed the camp.

"The Winter Count gathering (February 12-18, 2017) is a place to learn and share ancestral, primitive, and more modern skills that help lessen our impact on the earth by giving us the knowledge and hands on experience to make beautiful objects, work with genuine materials, and become more skilled within our abilities. At the same time, we build self-confidence and our capacity to do more with less..."
https://wintercountcamp.com/home

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome, Kathleen, "Freedom" sounds great!

Thanks for the welcome, Cyndi! I need help with posting here, so thx for the Tips link. If my memory bank kicks in I'll read those before I post again. Yes, Bob mentioned the Winter Count gathering. I checked their website, then called the people who organize it. Interestingly, they live just a few miles from me. I'm glad you know a few people who attended and enjoyed. Maybe a group of us will go up there in February.

I've considered myself semi-nomadic all my life. Van dwelling and outdoor/nature skills seem to go hand in hand. Will you be at RTR this year?

Kathleen

Queen said:
Welcome, Kathleen, "Freedom" sounds great!

Thanks, just have to get "free time" to hop in and take off with her! :)

Welcome aboard Kathleen!
Thanks for sharing your story and for continuing it in the future.
I think you will find the tribe a great resource.

Thanks, Popeye! After years of watching videos I'm looking forward to the real thing, tribe and all!

Kathleen

You have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Wait,,,,,,,,,did I just quote somebody ??????

Thanks again, Cyndi. Been busy watching videos and reading the older blogs. So much to learn. Van levelers for 15 bucks, a great item. Love the mini tow trucks, the flat things Bob placed under the back tires of the RV to get it out of the dry rock bed. Both items look useful. I skimmed the Tips and Tricks for the forum. Good info. Posted two long comments at the Big Horn Mtns blog before reading Tips. Will be brief from now on, unless I can share something useful to others. Love CheapRVLiving, a kind and generous site.

Welcome Kathleen. I am also attending RTR. Winter Camp looks pretty cool. I may be interested in going. I would love to hear first hand from someone that has been.

Caryn

Hi Caryn,

YES, I'd be interested in meeting someone who's attended Winter Count also, where you learn animal tracking, brain tanning leather, cordage (making rope from natural fibers), wild edibles, and other skills used by hunter/gatherers round the world.

You can go to the Winter Count site for info, soon to be updated for 2017. They permit van camping. 

Van Dwelling seems a natural step to me. If SHTF it's warmer in a metal box than a tent. If fuel becomes unavailable, the "primitive" skills, like building an outdoor shelter, building fire without a Bic, and primitive cooking, hunting and fishing could keep you alive. Awareness is your number one skill, the connection with Spirit that gives you a warning when you most need it.

With climate change and dwindling resources it's best to help each other become better prepared. If anyone else is interested in going to Winter Count, north of RTR site, please let us know.

Kathleen

Welcome! sounds like you got a great van from a great guy! that Winter Count thing sounds intriguing

ArtW, U R right. I looked for a van for 2 years. The guy I bought it from was so great he offered to refund me the money if I wasn't happy with it. He received an award for excellence the day after I bought it. Sometimes patience is a virtue.

Welcome to 2 more ladies:  Kathleen & Freedom! :D

Thanks for that warm welcome, DrJean. I look forward to sharing, learning, meeting and traveling with new friends. Spent years traveling but never been a van dweller before. New adventure ahead! Does anyone know how to fish????

I've been trying to get to Winter Count for the last 5 years and just never made it. I have a friend who has gone every year for 8 years and loves it!!!

If you're into primitive living skills, it's the place to be!

YVW

I know how to fish but not sure the hands will obey any more for that!  Yummmmm  baked fish with lemon & pepper over a campfire ah hhhh  breakfast!   :D

akrvbob said:
I've been trying to get to Winter Count for the last 5 years and just never made it. I have a friend who has gone every year for 8 years and loves it!!!

If you're into primitive living skills, it's the place to be!

Maybe this will be the year, Bob!

Kathleen,

DrJean said:
YVW

I know how to fish but not sure the hands will obey any more for that!  Yummmmm  baked fish with lemon & pepper over a campfire ah hhhh  breakfast!   :D

Yum Yum, I've got the equipment, just need a teacher. After learning modern way, I'm going to "trout tickle" (catch with bare hands) and old tribal methods. Many YouTube videos on how to catch fish without rod and reel.

I also want to learn old ways of hunting. Tom Brown Jr, the Tracker, taught by an old Apache scout, knows 240 ways to trap. I agree with Bob, there is life after death, but I'd like to stick around as long as I can by being self sufficient. I will teach others what I learn, and will always give thanks for any food I receive: plants, fish, animals.

Traditional Aboriginals in Australia begin their day by giving thanks for the food they will eat. During their outback wanderings they always come across their daily meal. And it's not a can of Spam!! :rolleyes:

just a little heads up in CA you MUST use a line and hook to catch trout and only one rig in the water at a time. highdesertranger