Strange Problem With Inverter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny flank

Reaction score
I've got a Verta-Max 1.5kw inverter that I got way back when I first started dwelling. (Yes, it is overkill, but it came as part of a kit, and at the time I was seriously thinking about wanting to run a microwave.)

To save on the battery, I've always shut the inverter off whenever I'm not actually charging something. But yesterday after charging up my laptop I went to shut the inverter off--and nothing happened. Tried the switch several times, and it just won't go off. Tried again today, same result. It's now "on" all the time, continuously draining my battery.

Not really a big deal now, but in winter when the days get shorter it'll present a real difficulty. And of course now I can't trust the inverter to keep working anyway, since apparently something is wrong somewhere inside there.

So it looks like I'll be replacing the inverter (with something smaller, no doubt).

It just struck me as a very odd thing to happen.

Disconnect it.  Then it's off.  I have the same issue with a 100 watt Radio Shack lighter socket inverter.  The switch doesn't shut it off so I unplug it when I'm not using it.

Sounds like you've got a bad switch. If it works when you plug it in and stops working when you unplug it, you can use it that way, or you can plug it into a power strip and use the switch on the strip, as a stopgap measure. If you're certain that you don't want it anymore, there are lots of people who I'm sure would be happy to buy it and replace the switch themselves.

Is there a forum here for "buy, sell, trade, free"? I have stuff I'd love to pass on to other Dwellers, and there's stuff I'm sure other people have that I need ;-)

The Dire Wolfess

on an inverter that big more then likely the switch doesn't carry the main load, there would be a relay. the switch triggers the relay and the relay carries the main load. it could be the switch but more then likely the relay has fused on. highdesertranger

^^^ Yes, that sounds logical.

EDIT: I really don't need an inverter that big anyway, so I'm likely gonna end up just replacing it with a smaller one.

Is the fuse easy to access?

If so, you could use that as a 'switch' for at least awhile, until you replace the unit.

^^ I'm not all that techie-savvy, and I don't really wanna be messing around with electrical stuff. :)

An inverter should always have a fused positive DC connection. Pull that fuse. If there is not a fuse...

Keep in mind a smaller unit will have about the same amount of parasitic load when idle. Can vary with fan(s) intermittently or constantly running. I have tested a few units from cheap small units to a Samlex PST 1000.

Your 1,500 watt inverter is not always producing 1,500 watts.

The actual non peak watt rating is about half of what the labeling says. In my experience.

I have used a pole lamp with three bulbs to test output. The lights would dim at about half of the rating. 150 watt inverter would only support one 75 watt bulb. Switching an additional 60 watt bulb on and both lights would dim.

At least with inverters there is a consistent set of measurement as to capacity across manufacturers. Unlike batteries. But they can still lie.

^^ It was professionally installed by an RV-repair shop, so it has all the necessary fuses etc.

I'm not an electrician. I don't mess with electrical stuff.

:)

Basically all I use it for is to charge my laptop and my camera batteries. I figure a smaller 3-400w inverter should do the job for me and have plenty of padding.

No need for an inverter to charge batteries or power a laptop in the first place

If the relay is stuck on I would just plug it into a surge protector like they said above .

I believe Lenny said he was just going to get a new one. however I am curious how is a surge protector going to shut off an inverter. you need to cut the 12v feed not the 110ac output. highdesertranger

Smitty716 said:
Most surge protectors have an on and off switch. Or at least all of mine do

All the surge protectors I have seen only work on 120VAC, not 12VDC.  Using one of these, the inverter would still remain on.  The output of the inverter is the only thing that would be cut-off.

Only putting a switch on the 12VDC feed side would disconnect the inverter.  It would have to be a big switch to handle the load.  Buying a new one seems the best course IMHO.

Why would you buy an inverter without a remote switch capability? Or at least place it near the appliance so easy to reach. . .

John61CT said:
Why would you buy an inverter without a remote switch capability? Or at least place it near the appliance so easy to reach. . .

I lost the remote a week or so after I got it.  :)

Assuming you mean wired as I did, a generic one will replace it.

It came with a little wireless remote. I haven't a clue what happened to it. It's probably lying on a curbside somewhere in Florida.

Whether a new remote will solve the problem or not depends on exactly what's wrong--it'll help if it's the switch that is the problem, but if a relay is fused "on", it won't help. :(

Anyway, I don't really wanna be dicking around with the thing, so I'm gonna just replace it with a smaller inverter first chance I get.