Straight lines for van walls

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nature lover

Reaction score
The latest generations of vans (sprinter and similar) are so much easier than older cargo vans as the walls are straighter and easier to insulate and panel.  - everyone knows that but I have been thinking about how much space would be wasted by using straight sheeting over contoured walls and leaving the air space between. Talk about thinking outside or inside the box.

My original rig was a GMC Safari that was originally a traveling office for MA Bell and was insulated and carpeted on all 4 sides.  It was an easy build from there.

What I am thinking of is laminating 4x8 sheets of foam insulation with foil and using a product like liquid nails to glue thin paneling of some type creating insulated panels.  By placing these panels as close to the contoured walls as possible (cutting out for wheel well gas fill ect).  If some think the lost space behind these panels is too much you could use multiple straight panels so that they could hug the wall and not lose as much space.  With two straight panels forming a triangle by joining them in the middle.  or  3 panels with a narrow  panel in the center and the other two angled toward the inside (wish I could draw a picture).

I will be interested in hearing others opinions.

You can buy foil faced foam. It makes no sense to do it yourself as the result won't be nearly as good and having the foil applied to the foam in a factory setting. If you want to adhere a plywood skin to the side that does not have the foil that is best done by rolling or spraying on an appropriate contact cement. I recommend doing that while the foam is lying on a floor, then placing the paneling on top of it and using a J-roller to press the plywood onto the foam ensuring a firm continuous bond. The J-roller can be rented if you don't wish to purchase one. They are commonly used for applying Formica laminate onto a plywood base for to creating countertops.

Thank you I know you can get the foam with foil. I should have worded that differently, added commas. I would use the foam with foil on it and the glue the panel (which kind - up to you) I would not use a spray - I like another way to apply. I am to dumb to know what a jay roller is but I would use the type of roller used for vinyl floors or just several sheets of plywood with weight on top. The cutouts for wheel well and gas fill could be done after the glue drys. The wasted space between the van wall and the panel might help insulate some??? I cant wait to play with it.

nature lover said:
what a jay roller is

What I think it is, is probably not what matters here.

Anyway, can air not be managed as an insulator? The gaps be your friend? I think you would just need to seal them.

Latest posts