SSW Magical Bus Conversion with lots of pics.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks good so far,what year,engine/trans?
i really like the back porch,paint the roof white and the rest any color you want
any info on those rims?

Over in the Cargo Trailer sub-forum of the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum, somebody reported that they had used one of those infra-red thermometers to compare the skin temperature of white cargo trailers against some of the colored ones, when they were sitting in the sun.  He reported that any of the colors were 20 to 30 degrees hotter than white trailers.

Infra-red thermometers are getting cheap, I hear even Harbor Freight is selling one these days,  if you can beg, borrow, or steal one, run your own tests on various cars in a parking lot on a sunny day.

There are white roof coatings for RVs, even metal roofed ones, that have proven to keep the RV significantly cooler once a couple of coats are applied to the roof.

Regards
John

Gary68 said:
looks good so far,what year,engine/trans?
i really like the back porch,paint the roof white and the rest any color you want
any info on those rims?

1987. Chevy 350. Not sure on tranny. Supposedly the rims are hub centric but idk. I know there is some bounce like some of you mentioned so either its the rims or shocks. I am going to take it up to the tire shop and have it looked at soon. I haven't even had a chance to get it legal yet. Hopefully will do that in the morning.

It will probably be a week or so before I can get tires checked because I have to do it when they have time etc. I work at a small car lot so its hard for me to leave my job when tire shop is open because if I am not at work, the whole lot is closed because I am the only employee (saving a detail guy when we can keep one hired). Hopefully my son will have a day off to take it for me or something like that. Not in a big rush because I have no extra cash right now for shocks or rims if that is needed.

My priority is going to be getting inside liveable so I am not paying house bills. I can save enough by doing that to buy something it needs every month. I'll do a bed and the basics real quick just to get moved in there and then a little each week on inside.

I'll try to post a good pic of rims tomorrow and see if you can tell what they are. I planned on a white roof. the rest is undecided. I hate to make too girly in case I sell it later. But, I also want to like it.

Do you think converting it to fuel injection is worth it? I was told by my mechanic at work that it doesn't really help MPG when its a conversion. Just getting 2nd opinions. Thanks!

rvpopeye said:
Anything the sun shines on will have to be white , no theory about what color for where the sun don't shine.........awwwwwwwwwww badooom tshhhhh.

I was thinking that about the tanks on the rear bumper too !

And then Scotty replies....
Cap'n if I push 'er any harder , she'll blow fer sure !....aaaaahhh the ship that is ,,,

HaHa!! yeah, not sure I want to risk propane back there while traveling.
Optimistic Paranoid said:
Over in the Cargo Trailer sub-forum of the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum, somebody reported that they had used one of those infra-red thermometers to compare the skin temperature of white cargo trailers against some of the colored ones, when they were sitting in the sun.  He reported that any of the colors were 20 to 30 degrees hotter than white trailers.

Infra-red thermometers are getting cheap, I hear even Harbor Freight is selling one these days,  if you can beg, borrow, or steal one, run your own tests on various cars in a parking lot on a sunny day.

There are white roof coatings for RVs, even metal roofed ones, that have proven to keep the RV significantly cooler once a couple of coats are applied to the roof.

Regards
John

That's a significant difference. I will look into that.

Hey SSW, my cargo trailer is dark red, with galvanized silver roof. It is insulated and I think that makes a big difference. I've been in unisulated all white trailers that are definitely warmer. I would put white "Kool Kote" on the roof and paint the sides whatever you want. I don't think teal is to girly, but lavender might be. Just my thoughts.

masterplumber said:
Hey SSW, my cargo trailer is dark red, with galvanized silver roof. It is insulated and I think that makes a big difference. I've been in unisulated all white trailers that are definitely warmer. I would put white "Kool Kote" on the roof and paint the sides whatever you want. I don't think teal is to girly, but lavender might be. Just my thoughts.

Those colors were your idea I believe MP :D I got to thinking about it and thought they may look pretty good.

I had planned on Kool Kote. I also plan to insulate well. Makes sense if I do that it shouldn't be a big deal about the sides. Thanks/

hi.......i have started threads before however today is a bad day and i can't remember how....i'm just throwing this out there and the powers that be can see where it lands.    THIS IS FOR A 1977 CARPENTER COACH CADET "mini bus"  it's had a ton of stuff done to it and the guy says it's road ready.      if someone wants to move this to a better spot  just knock out your running lights and go for it i have no problem with that.                                          

httpd://dothan.craigslist.org/rvs/5478478336.html                           TJB

Tjaybird said:
hi.......i have started threads before however today is a bad day and i can't remember how....i'm just throwing this out there and the powers that be can see where it lands.    THIS IS FOR A 1977 CARPENTER COACH CADET "mini bus"  it's had a ton of stuff done to it and the guy says it's road ready.      if someone wants to move this to a better spot  just knock out your running lights and go for it i have no problem with that.                                          

httpd://dothan.craigslist.org/rvs/5478478336.html                           TJB

I dont know how to move it. Mods would be able to. it should go under the for sale or trade category. Go to that, then start new topic, then post way. :D

SaltySeaWitch said:
Okay. Starting thread prematurely as I just got the bus so no conversions yet. I will be updating as I go here. 

I'm in love. I walked outside this morning and the song "There She Goes" started playing in my head. Can you be in love with a vehicle? I think you can. I've thought about her all day. LOL.

Pics coming as soon as I figure out how to do it from my phone.

I'm not saying i'm old however...........i was expecting the lyrics...there she goes just a walking down the street...singing do wah ditty ditty dum ditty do etc.        Congrats on your new home!   :)     TJB

Tjaybird said:
I'm not saying i'm old however...........i was expecting the lyrics...there she goes just a walking down the street...singing do wah ditty ditty dum ditty do etc.        Congrats on your new home!   :)     TJB

"There She Goes"

There she goes
There she goes again
Racing through my brain
And I just can't contain
This feeling that remains

There she goes
There she goes again
Pulsing through my veins
And I just can't contain

There she goes
There she goes again
Racing through my brain
And I just can't contain

There she goes
There she goes again
She calls my name,
Pulls my train
No one else could heal my pain
And I just can't contain

There she goes
There she goes again
Chasing down my lane
And I just can't contain

There she goes
There she goes
There she goes

ascii_man said:
There are threads here about a paint which claims to have special insulating properties 

Congrats on the new platform SSW!

I mixed some Ceramic additive into my roof paint in the precisely recommended ratio.

http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_paint_additives.html

I Wish i did not.  I have no idea if it is effective at all in insulating.  What it did do was make the paint into 120 grit sandpaper.  I wound up putting on 4 more coats trying to get it smooth, then gave up and sanded it mostly smooth, and painted another  2 layers.  Now it is just orange peel texture and is hard to clean and hard to keep clean and I rue the day I bought the additive and mixed it into my paint and applied it.( fist shaken at sky)

Here is some on my back door ladder hook, to show the texture:
ceramicpaintedladderhanger_zpsc08a2200.jpg

So for a No slip grip, by all means this product works well, but for actually insulating, all those little grits of sand, are supposedly vacuum filled spheres, supposed to rise through the paint and make an outer shell on top of the paint that insulates.  Well, I just do not see that happening, perhaps 40% of the surface would be covered.  In reality I added so many layers of paint trying to smooth it out the insulative properties of so many layers of paint is likely more effective than the special wallet draining, time wasting, curse inspiring, tool throwing, ceramic gritty Additive. 

I've no ideal about other insulating type of paints

One note on painting, it appears like your bus was painted before.  Who knows how well it was prepped before the paint was slapped on.  The key to an acceptable  roll on/brush on paint job is in surface preparation.  Sanding and degreasing, possibly degreasing before sanding so as to not push contaminants deep inside the sanding grooves.  One might find the old paint flakes off when prepped, and the job grows in size to ridiculous, tool throwing tantrum, proportions.

In a suspect area, wipe the paint with rubbing alcohol, let evaporate then put some masking tape down and rub it in with a fingernail, and rip it off like a bikini waxing.  Did it take paint with it?

If it did, then painting over this might not work very well, especially if one is applying tape to do edges.  On one section of my van I used a whole roll of masking tape to peel off a paint layer I apparently applied with no thought to secondary bonding.  PITA, and wasteful.  Tools were thrown, curses were slinged, nearby humans ran for the hills.

I can recommend Rustoleum Marine topside paint for a pretty good medium price paint.  It has very good adhesion and scratch resistance, and pretty good gloss. When fully cured( water no longer beads), it can be waxed, unlike regular rustoleum enamel which just turns wax applicator pad the same color as the paint.

What I do not like is the one coat every 24 hours maximum, and application sooner, or too thick, and the paint remains soft.

If one wants a better roll on paint, consider Interlux premium yacht enamels at 2x the price of Rustoleum topside marine enamel.

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-206999-Marine-Topside-1-Quart/dp/B000BZTJT2

http://www.amazon.com/Interlux-Yach...sr=8-1&keywords=interlux+premium+yacht+enamel

Thanks Sternwake. that sounds like a nightmare. I am shaking my fist at the sky with you!

I think my son will attempt to spray paint it. Not sure if can really do it. He has spray painted truck parts at a job before so he feels qualified lol Will that same marine paint work in a sprayer?

hub-lug-centric.jpg

would tell you to check the lug nuts but dont know if the last guy did things right so tire shop sounds good,if the rear inner rims are steel and the outer aluminum,i wouldnt like that but lets see what hdr and the tire tech say

fuel injection would cost a pretty penny and require some mods to be done,i would go with edelbrock aluminium intake and carb,last ones i got from ebay for $150 1 year old and made a huge difference over the crusty holly that was on,should be able to pick them up at any swap meet/craigs list, they are common parts

gas is around $2 and your bus will get great gas milage as you bbq that fish you just caught

flying kurbmaster said:
love the balcony, with the rear door open, great indoor outdoor flow. love the open plan look, nice find good luck, Do those flashing lights work, what a sight you will make arriving at the next RTR with your flashing lights all ablaze.

Gary68 said:
hub-lug-centric.jpg

would tell you to check the lug nuts but dont know if the last guy did things right so tire shop sounds good,if the rear inner rims are steel and the outer aluminum,i wouldnt like that but lets see what hdr and the tire tech say

fuel injection would cost a pretty penny and require some mods to be done,i would go with edelbrock aluminium intake and carb,last ones i got from ebay for $150 1 year old and made a huge difference over the crusty holly that was on,should be able to pick them up at any swap meet/craigs list, they are common parts

gas is around $2 and your bus will get great gas milage as you bbq that fish you just caught
Pretty sure they are Hub centric.

Congratulations on getting your Schoolie  SSW.   That should take you far and make memories for a lifetime.

Over the next 7 months you could have it all ready for a trip south for the coming winter 2016.  That could be a fun first trip. 

I once drove across the panhandle of Florida from Baton Rouge to Tallihassee, Fl.  I was quite impressed with the area.

But I'm sure you will find places that reach out to you as well.

I'm still thinking of moving to Pensacola Fl  area and establishing there as my domicile state.   Best wishes !

TJB
For sale links are usually placed in Trading Post probably get more views there.
That song was called Doo Wah Diddy

Stern
I was looking at that insulating ceramic beads additive stuff a while back and concluded it was too $ intensive and probably a pain to use glad to hear a real world review, THX

SSW
I've used the Interlux a lot on boats , usually used an application method called Rolling and Tipping. With a roller in one hand and a brush in the other ,pretty easy once you get into the groove. It left a super smooth glossy finish , hard to tell it wasn't sprayed.......pricey though.
I got mine from a local boat yard run by a old friend , gotta love those deals!

Big ditto on proper prepping before any paint no matter what the method.
Do it right , once. Cheapest and best results in the long run. Even if you just use Krylon spray
Which I just did to paint the "Rich Plum" stripes on my rig , mom's fave pic.
I'm secure in my manhood so purple don' bother me mon !
I even will walk a friend's poodle when I dog sit , even if his DW brings him to the groomers first to POOF him out ! He is one BIG standard poodle though !

Gary
THX for the tip on the Edelbrock , not sure what mine is , it's so hard to get into the durn thing to find out but 6mpg suxxx big time. Is the Holly stock OEM on the 350s of that era?
Mine's an '81...

eDJ_ said:
Congratulations on getting your Schoolie  SSW.   That should take you far and make memories for a lifetime.

Over the next 7 months you could have it all ready for a trip south for the coming winter 2016.  That could be a fun first trip. 

I once drove across the panhandle of Florida from Baton Rouge to Tallihassee, Fl.  I was quite impressed with the area.

But I'm sure you will find places that reach out to you as well.

I'm still thinking of moving to  Pensacola Fl  area and establishing there as my domicile state.   Best wishes !

I miss Florida very much. I was born and raised on the East Coast, moved to TN in 2004. I miss the beach! I have thought of moving around Gainesville because you can still get ag property there for less than most places in Florida. Set up a homestead someday. No snow. An hour to the beach. I would love Pensacola too. I have found a few deals there but their zoning laws are tough as is most of Florida. Can I rent a spot in your backyard when you move? :D

rvpopeye said:
SSW
I've used the Interlux a lot on boats , usually used an application method called Rolling and Tipping. With a roller in one hand and a brush in the other ,pretty easy once you get into the groove. It left a super smooth glossy finish , hard to tell it wasn't sprayed.......pricey though.
I got mine from a local boat yard run by a old friend , gotta love those deals!

Big ditto on proper prepping before any paint no matter what the method.
Do it right , once. Cheapest and best results in the long run. Even if you just use Krylon spray
Which  I just did to paint the "Rich Plum" stripes on my rig , mom's fave pic.
I'm secure in my manhood so purple don' bother me  mon !
 I even will walk a friend's poodle when I dog sit , even if his DW brings him to the groomers first to POOF him out ! He is one BIG standard poodle though !

I won't be spray canning it. We will be using a paint spray rig for it. I have seen the rolled ones and some are nice. Overall, if we can spray it though, I think it will look better. My dad has done several of his RVs and vans using a sprayer. He is a house painter not an Auto painter but it turned out good. Let's hope mine does too. Both my sisters are/were house painters as well so maybe my son has it in his blood. I hope. :)

I painted a couple houses.  98% scraping and patching, 2% painting. 

It is all in the prep.

Congrats on your bus SSW!
I really like your back porch. Excellent storage area when traveling.
I've been trying to configure one to add to my Cube. If you happen to think of it, snap a pic of how yours if attached.
Early March and spring is here in the mid-west, whoot... It's all down hill from here.
Oh ya, and I vote for a light sky blue bottom with a cream top.

Matlock said:
Congrats on your bus SSW!
I really like your back porch. Excellent storage area when traveling.
I've been trying to configure one to add to my Cube. If you happen to think of it, snap a pic of how yours if attached.
Early March and spring is here in the mid-west, whoot... It's all down hill from here.
Oh ya, and I vote for a light sky blue bottom with a cream top.

I will be glad to take pics for you Matlock. Sky blue would be pretty. I think I like the bottom right one. [img=400x341]http://www.vintagevibes.net/1950-1967.jpg[/img]