SSW Magical Bus Conversion with lots of pics.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
might want to drive this thing around and take it on a camping trip or two to see if it fits you before going all Bob Villa on it

Gary68 said:
might want to drive this thing around and take it on a camping trip or two to see if it fits you before going all Bob Villa on it

I plan on it :)

working from what RvPopeye said, I'd get some cardboard boxes, and cut 'em up to mock up where your cabinets and things are gonna go.

This way, you'll get the full 3-dimentional feel for how everything fits into your bus, and how much room you'll really have to work with. It's also super easy to modify it now as you like/need.

From there, then you can easily map out just where the wiring is gonna go, and just how much of what you'll need for the job. Oh, and plumbing stuff too.

(This is one of my favorite parts of the job!) :D

It's extra work but a dang good idea though. Cardboard is free and it might stimulate more creative thinking.

Please post pictures of your Lego project! :D

John

I don't tend to agree with the hide-a-key thing on the outside of a vehicle. Instead, I like to keep a spare key in my wallet, shoe or belt (cut off the head and keep the shank of the key so it isn't as bulky). Of course, this method supposes that you always dress with at least one of the same accessory, so it's sometimes more appealing to men than women. It also supposes you don't often run around naked.

Not much I can do right now. Gotta get some $$$ saved up again then I will start on it.

I keep 1 spare key in my wallet and 1 more hidden under the rig on a piece of wire. :idea:
Those magnet boxes have a way of dropping off when you hit a pot hole or a bumpy road! :huh:
You can open your hood without being in the vehicle so under that somewhere out of sight ...
maybe on a wire bundle wrapped with electrical tape (if you cant find a hiding place ) so it looks like a wire splice. :sleepy:
You also probably have separate door and ignition keys like me so door key as above and ignition key under the seat or rug etc inside.

Just camping out there in the back yard should give you a feel for wheel dwelling.

Patrick's cardboard idea would be way cool too!

If you use 3 or 4-5-6 layers glued together and urethane them they would probably make actual useful furniture!!!!!!!!
I had a book on cardboard furniture back in the 70s hmmmmmmmm.........

Could probably do the same with foam panels, that would make things nice and light.

John

Take a look at today's post on Falcon's build thread !
Simple design and pretty easy carpentry involved.
I also liked some of the stuff in the Emerald Gypsy bus

Take a look at today's post on Falcon's build thread !
Simple design and pretty easy carpentry involved.
I also liked some of the stuff in the Emerald Gypsy bus
I used to own a cabinet shop and did custom kitchens but I tend to prefer the simpler designs now (guess partly because of all my heavy shop tools that are now sold so that stuff is way harder to do with what's left , a circular saw , sabre saw , router and a belt sander)! :( :(

OH yeah don't forget to get in touch with Patrick for a CRVL sticker for the new rig !!!!

SaltySeaWitch said:
Here are a few. More in a bit. Could not get pics up with phone had to use laptop.
That looks like a very usable size. I like it.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the helpful advice and encouragement :) 

Weather has warmed up. Kinda hot actually. But it has been pretty dead this week at work :(  I imagine people are out enjoying the sunshine and I can't blame them!

The bus is still full of my son's stuff. Hopefully will get it emptied this weekend and at least get to start scheming and dreaming if not actually building yet. Money is tight this week but I keep reminding myself to be patient. The bus was the hardest part. It's here, the rest will follow.

Hey everyone!

Quick update...

I've been sick all week and work is still slow so no progress to report. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I hope to at least get inside of bus cleaned and painted so I can throw a mattress in it and start sleeping in it. Money is still tight so can't do much to it right now. 

On the bright side, rvpopeye pm'd me about a cure for my cold but just between all of us, I don't think it's FDA approved and I'm almost positive that man does not have a medical license even if he does make house calls :dodgy:  It did make me laugh though and they say laughter is the best medicine so thanks rvpopeye!  :D I'm still laughing lol.

Also, my Internet has also been out all week so I havent had data to spare to be on here. I have to be home for Comcast to check it and can't be home because I have to work :huh: . My son is going to see if a cable got chewed up by an animal or something. He is supposed to be here tomorrow. Hoping he can fix it. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I will try to take some more pics tomorrow  :)

I have been looking at another truck and was thinking how I would go about the build, I came to the conclusion that I would buy a fridge, a stove, a container for fresh water, one for grey water and a toilet of sorts, then build the rest around these items. When I started building the Kurbmaster I wasn't sure how it would turn out and how much I wanted to invest in it so I found an old heavy duty extension cord someone had tossed in the garbage on a site because the ends were trashed. I cut it in half ran one down one side the other down the other I installed one double plug at one end, I have enough cord to go out the window with a male end on it when I need to use it. I am planning on adding another plug on the end of the other side and joining it to the first one in an metal electrical box. All it really is is a fancy extension cord, no breakers, no expensive wiring, no fancy connectors, it did not cost me a thing, I scrounged all the parts. I only use it to plug my electric heater if I am somewhere where it is cold and have access to 110, I never plug in at campgrounds, I can plug the cord into my $14.00 75 watt converter to use my DVD player other wise all my stuff is 12 volt. If I was worried about a breaker I would buy one of those thingamajigs that has a breaker for using tools outside and plug my extension cord into it. I have monitored it and it has never gotten warm, even after running a heater all night long, so I am confident with this set up, five years on and I still haven't gotten around to installing the second plug.

SSW;

I've been kinda busy with my own build so I'm just now catching up. Congrats on the bus. Great size and a clean slate. I see you haven't posted anything for a month, so how about an update?

As for electrical, check under the panel at head height (to you) on the driver's side of the bus. That's the long narrow panel between the top of the windows and the ceiling. You should find all your wiring there.

As for spare parts, PM me with your needs. I have a LOTS of extra stuff I scrounged for my bus, lights, lens, wire, switches, bulbs, mirrors, fans, etc...

As for tools you need, PM me about those as well.

Need more pics: roof, driver area, control panel, etc....

Remember: Have faith and a little patience. Prayers DO get answered. I am living proof of that.

David