SSW Magical Bus Conversion with lots of pics.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That bus is big enough and there will be enough stuff in it that the battery location will be a small thing in the balanced load scheme of things. Plenty of other things to worry about than that . The battery and fuse panel location in relation to the alternator and keeping the heavy guage wiring as short as possible is more critical IMO.

An inverter if used will need to be right there near the battery(ies) and the 120 volt panel might as well be in the general area for simplicity. Probably all in the same compartmented box/cabinet. (look at Kurb ,Baloo and Falcon for nice examples)

Solar controller ditto.

12 volt distribution from the fuse box wired for 20 amp fuses and anything smaller will be no problemo. This could apply to the vehicle lights etc as well.

120 volt supply wiring 10GA for a 30 amp design and 12GA for all the separate circuits @20amp wherever the outlets end up .

Ezy Pezy . This road is well worn in my world.

Like Kurb said future changes super slick too.

(It would of course include a top notch sound system ! Skhhhhhhheeeeewwwwwww)

Wonder what type of AC and DC wiring already exists, and if it can be reused, or if the previous owner decided that crushing lugs in a vice made for an acceptable wire termination, indicating that a clean slate is preferable.

Does looking at wiring diagrams help the Electrical Newbie understand things any better?

Falcon's diagram here is one of the best I've seen:

25455364146_2463e94409_c.jpg

The following link is kind of dated and imperfect in some areas, I could pick it apart with 'if's, and's, and but's', but it a good starting point for the Newb.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

SaltySeaWitch said:
The problem with electrical is that no matter how many times I read the posts in here explaining it, or see diagrams, I seriously just don't get it.

Salty, I can recommend a few good books that would give you a solid grounding.

http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Sy...7819493&sr=1-1&keywords=rv+electrical+systems

http://www.amazon.com/Managing-12-V...qid=1457819620&sr=1-2&keywords=12+volt+wiring

Those two cover the fundamental theory pretty well.  For a book on the nuts and bolts of actually DOING the wiring:

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Wi...457819745&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=tony+candella

Your local public library should be able to get you all three to study via inter-library loan for free.

Regards
John

From what I've seen in the pics so far the AC 120v feed has a nice 30A twistlock plug in, Plus a cord to plug it in (hopefully 10 GA) don't know about the male end edison 20A or RV 30A.

Inside looks like just a couple of outlet boxes , one with an extention cord dangling and another with romex ?GA.. Nothing serious but some good reusable parts.

The DC stuff is hard to tell , there's what might be some kind of switch panel in the front OH area but the bus is pretty stripped out already so anything goes.....

Typo on my last post and too late to edit.
Edison plugs are of course 15amp.(Regular household plugs and receptacles)

O.P. has some good books on that list .
I have the Managing 12volts one and have used it quite a bit since I got it years ago.

You can usually find some good basic electrical books for house wiring at places like Home Depot and Lowes

SternWake said:
Wonder what type of AC and DC wiring already exists, and if it can be reused, or if the previous owner decided that crushing lugs in a vice made for an acceptable wire termination, indicating that a clean slate is preferable.

Does looking at wiring diagrams help the Electrical Newbie understand things any better?

Falcon's diagram here is one of the best I've seen:

25455364146_2463e94409_c.jpg

The following link is kind of dated and imperfect in some areas, I could pick it apart with 'if's, and's, and but's', but it a good starting point for the Newb.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

I will take pics of what is there and post them.

Well, I took yesterday off work because I am just so over tired and my son was going to use the bus to move his stuff so I thought I would wash my car which is really dirty while he did that and just relax for the rest of the day. Turns out my son lost the only key to the bus so he had to put a new ignition switch in it instead of moving. Which he had pay for because I told him 50 times to put the key on his key ring and he didn't. But, I didn't even get mad at him. I knew he lost it earlier this week. I was just waiting for him to admit it. I love when my kids think I will get mad, and then I don't. Keeps them guessing lol. I said "Let's go eat while you figure out how to solve this problem." We did, and he figured it out. A $50 lesson learned. He had never done a ignition switch before but I'm proud of him for figuring it out. Thank goodness for youtube. I also didn't get to wash my car, because same son has my water hose at his house that he "borrowed" a month ago. Grrrr!!! I just let it go. Not worth it. That being said, nothing was done, but I now have 2 shiny new keys to my bus, my kid solved a problem and learned something else about mechanics, and I watched him put one on his key ring this time without being told. Life is good :cool:

On a plus note, my son thinks between books and youtube he and I can figure out the wiring. I am sure I will be on here asking lots of questions. My question now is how much should I plan to spend on materials? I plan to do like SternWake and run outlets and lights like one would in a house. Rough estimates for materials would be appreciated.

Also, what tools will we need? I have to budget for all this.

Thanks for all the advice. I am not doing anything this weekend. I'm really run down. But hopefully by next weekend I can get started. I will post pics of electrical that is in bus asap. Raining right now.

I appreciate everyone's support and faith in me. I am going to be really proud of myself when I get it done.  :heart:

SaltySeaWitch said:
On a plus note, my son thinks between books and youtube he and I can figure out the wiring. I am sure I will be on here asking lots of questions. My question now is how much should I plan to spend on materials? I plan to do like SternWake and run outlets and lights like one would in a house. Rough estimates for materials would be appreciated.

Also, what tools will we need? I have to budget for all this.

Thanks for all the advice. I am not doing anything this weekend. I'm really run down. But hopefully by next weekend I can get started. I will post pics of electrical that is in bus asap. Raining right now.

I appreciate everyone's support and faith in me. I am going to be really proud of myself when I get it done.  :heart:

A rough estimate is absolutely impossible for anyone to give you at this point. Once you've figured out your interior layout, then you can figure out where you need outlets and of which type and where you want lights to go. THEN and only then can you do a take off of materials and price things out.

In the meantime, one of the things I did to keep cost and hair pulling down was to do ALL the 12V wiring with one gauge of wire. Yes, 14 and 16 are cheaper than say 10 gauge, which I used throughout, but by buying only 1 gauge of wire I was able to buy in bulk and cut my cost. It also meant I only needed 1 size of each type of connectors which also meant buying large packs instead of a bunch of small packs.

Tools aren't going to be that much to do the job - I used a combination tool that had wire strippers, wire cutters and crimping all in one although the wire cutters were a pita and I'd recommend a separate wire cutter for that. By the time you get to the electrical stuff, you'll already have accumulated the other tools you'll need like a drill, hammer, screwdrivers etc.

Almost There said:
A rough estimate is absolutely impossible for anyone to give you at this point. Once you've figured out your interior layout, then you can figure out where you need outlets and of which type and where you want lights to go. THEN and only then can you do a take off of materials and price things out.

In the meantime, one of the things I did to keep cost and hair pulling down was to do ALL the 12V wiring with one gauge of wire. Yes, 14 and 16 are cheaper than say 10 gauge, which I used throughout, but by buying only 1 gauge of wire I was able to buy in bulk and cut my cost. It also meant I only needed 1 size of each type of connectors which also meant buying large packs instead of a bunch of small packs.

Tools aren't going to be that much to do the job - I used a combination tool that had wire strippers, wire cutters and crimping all in one although the wire cutters were a pita and I'd recommend a separate wire cutter for that. By the time you get to the electrical stuff, you'll already have accumulated the other tools you'll need like a drill, hammer, screwdrivers etc.

I will need a new drill. I have 3 different saws (need blades) hammers, a small electric sander, screwdrivers and such. How much would you say your wiring job cost though? For the whole job excluding tools? I just don't want to start until I can afford to do it. I know my costs will vary but it would really help if I had an idea. Thanks.

SaltySeaWitch said:
I will need a new drill. I have 3 different saws (need blades) hammers, a small electric sander, screwdrivers and such. How much would you say your wiring job cost though? For the whole job excluding tools? I just don't want to start until I can afford to do it. I know my costs will vary but it would really help if I had an idea. Thanks.

It's important to remember that I was wiring a van so even going from the front corner of the kitchen on the drivers' side to the rear passenger side where my electrical cabinet is, the longest run was about 15'. You're going to need more wire than I did and probably more outlets.

I'd say you should probably set aside somewhere in the 200 to 300 dollar range for basic electrical wiring but that doesn't include an inverter, battery charger and batteries or solar.

Almost There said:
It's important to remember that I was wiring a van so even going from the front corner of the kitchen on the drivers' side to the rear passenger side where my electrical cabinet is, the longest run was about 15'. You're going to need more wire than I did and probably more outlets.

I'd say you should probably set aside somewhere in the 200 to 300 dollar range for basic electrical wiring but that doesn't include an inverter, battery charger and batteries or solar.

Thanks! That helps a lot in my planning and budgeting. More like my hoping and praying but lol.

OK 1 section at a time...120 volt first.

Is there a breaker panel for the 120v in there somewhere? You should have 4-6 breakers , 1 for the main power coming in and 3-5 for the circuits in the bus.

What does the plug on the end of your power cord look like? (Will it plug into a wall outlet?)

Can you see anything printed on the wire that tells the guage? (You'll want 10GAfor the full 30Amps) There should also be 10 GA between that twistlock on your rear wall to the breaker panel..

Outlets and boxes are pretty cheap.

You'll want 12 guage romex to go from the breaker panel to each outlet box.

Maybe a GFCI outlet for near the sink and (shower?)or an outside outlet if you want one.
Just 1 can protect the others if they are all on the same breaker.

rvpopeye said:
OK 1 section at a time...120 volt first.

Is there a breaker panel for the 120v in there somewhere? You should have 4-6 breakers , 1 for the main power coming in and 3-5 for the circuits in the bus.

What does the plug on the end of your power cord look like? (Will it plug into a wall outlet?)

Can you see anything printed on the wire that tells the guage? (You'll want 10GAfor the full 30Amps) There should also be 10 GA between that twistlock on your rear wall to the breaker panel..

Outlets and boxes are pretty cheap.

You'll want 12 guage romex to go from the breaker panel to each outlet box.

Maybe a GFCI outlet for near the sink and (shower?)or an outside outlet if you want one.
 Just 1 can protect the others if they are all on the same breaker.

No clue but I will look and take pics. I know there is an RV cord for a 30 amp hook up to plug in. I know I should have explored by now but haven't.  I've been waiting for my son to use it to get moved and figured I would tackle it then. Because when I want something done, I get impatient and knowing I can't start til he uses it means I would be frustrated waiting.

That's OK ,one step at a time....you can start thinking about what you want in the way of general interior items , and where you want them .

And probably after you do that ,figure out what will actually fit in the space and decide what you will do without !!! Skuh kuh kuh kuh

Not to worry though , you have way more space than most here do and look what some of them have fit in !

if you need to buy any wire for the 120v, get stranded wire not solid. I know some will argue but stranded handles the vibration better. highdesertranger

The night I bought the bus, he drove it home and I followed by car. When we got it to my house, he immediately left for his house. Next day I called and said you took bus key. He said he forgot. No problem I said, make sure you put it on your key ring right now and go make 2 spares tomorrow. He said "Sure, Mom" and we all know the rest of the story lol

He was able to load almost everything from his house into that bus tonight! Beds, loveseat, etc. Talk about luxury living with all that space! I actually pondered selling it and going smaller today. I love it, but do I need something that big just for me? But....I do love it.

I'm sure I will down size in the future. For now, saving money for the build.

The only contribution I can make on this thread is to echo part of HDR's comment -- to get a key hidden on the outside of your rig. There is a thread on here somewhere discussing ways of doing that.

I am particularly aware since I have a main exit door when I am camped that can blow closed and does not have a key or handle on the outside. It is a transit van door complete with a huge inside swinging arm (so the driver can open the door from his sitting position... one day I'll get rid of that).

Anyway, because my main entrance/exit can accidentally get closed or get closed by a strong wind from the right direction, I do not want to be locked out when I am miles from road service.

Just knowing I had a hidden key in case of a major screw up on my part relieved a lot of boondocking anxiety.

Here's a good way to plan your interior arrangement while it's still an empty space.

Put a mattress in there and when you're out there daydream what you might want to build then use a dry erase marker to draw outlines on the floor of your plan .

Easy to rearrange as your plan evolves and you'll get a much better idea of how to use all that space.

Keep a pad of paper for elevation views of the walls. And draw them on the walls too.

One method for storage I have used in most of my rigs is get lots of high quality matching plastic tubs (I have 5 different sizes) , you can put your stuff in them now and stack them up in various ways to visualize how they might be arranged around your other "furnishings" and then build (shelving"racks") for them to give easy access and hold them in place going down the road. You've seen examples of this in some other builds posted here....

Hope all of the twisty clouds miss ya , that was one thing I don't miss about Middle America!