Soon to be first time RV owner and full time dweller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debear

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just stumbled across this site during my incessant research, and it seems like a great community. So... here I am. Long story short, my girlfriend and I will be ending our lease in 6 months and permanently residing in an RV undergoing a relatively nomadic lifestyle. From countless testimonals and discussions, I have heard it is a very gratifying way of life, and regardless we will soon find out for ourselves! I could very well be in the wrong forum topic, but if there are any crucial tips and MUST includes for our unit, ideas are very welcomed. We like the idea of a little more maneuverability and a little more of a compact vehicle, because we don't know where we might end up. This led to a loose decision of a Class B motor home. Our budget is 10-15k, maybe more depending on how this work season goes. Any extremely reliable brands for permanent residence? What should I be testing and looking for when I browse my used options? We will be renting a similar sized RV in the coming months to get a little more hands on with the systems we will be using on a day to day. My guess is there are many starter guides, so if any of you have a direct link that would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to meeting many of you on this forum!

-Matt

Welcome to the CRVL forums debar! Roadtreks are very popular and, as far as I know, well made and reliable. They are higher priced that other RVs and used ones are often hard to find. Several members have Roadtreks so hopefully they'll chime in with more information. Renting a similar RV is a great idea.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thumbs up for a Roadtrek. It's the best use of space I've found in an already fitted out campervan.

Welcome!

I know time flies, but you do have a little window before you buy.  I'd suggest two things: First, I would consider renting (or borrowing, if you have a friend with one) a class B of the size you're considering buying. Spend a few days in it, away from home, and see if it has enough room for the two of you.

Also, poke around here (both of you, not just one of you) and try to decide what level of amenities you want/need in the long term. You'll notice that a lot o folks here have chosen simpler and more robust systems than you typically find in an RV. A biggie to me would be do you want an RV toilet and a black water tank, or just a composting toilet or a bucket? To decide that, you may need to figure out where you are going to be living that time of year and how cold it will be.  (You REALLY don't want to freeze/break RV plumbing, or have to deal with a black

Good luck with your decision, and in our search for the right buy!

Thanks for the tip, we are actually planning on renting first to get a bit hands on with the systems, rather than just read about them. I actually misspoke earlier; I meant Class C, so a little larger than a van with potentially a few more luxuries. So yes, we do plan on having a toilet/bathroom in the RV we purchase. I hadn't considered the weather, in fact we do currently reside in Colorado and only plan on staying within these Northwestern states. With snowboarding and skiiing being a huge part of both of our lifestyles, cold will certainly be a factor. Are there any easy ways of combating this freezing plumbing issue? If this matters, we will post up for months at a time whether it be at an RV park or campground (to work, restock, enjoy the places we end up)

Some folks are comfortable living in a small space but personally I like some room.I think I would prefer a class c over a class b,but that's just me.Patience is a virtue when buying.Good Luck.Let us know how you make out.

Bob Dickerson said:
Some folks are comfortable living in a small space but personally I like some room.I think I would prefer a class c over a class b,but that's just me.Patience is a virtue when buying.Good Luck.Let us know how you make out.

Yikes, yeah actually I misspoke. Class C is certainly what the two of us will be purchasing. Any recommendations on tried and true Class C motorhome brands/makes?

there is really no way to use the water system in freezing weather. unless you get a specially built class c, they are out there if you look, but a true 4 season RV is rare. btw the toilet is part of the water system so no water for flushing. the holding tanks would also need to be heated. I suggest you really start researching using an RV in freezing weather. I just skimmed the surface, if you want more info let us know. highdesertranger

I don't have any experience with camping in below freezing temps for an extended period of time in our RV.  Our Roadtrek is only 3 season capable (Spring, Summer and Fall).  If we wanted to camp in freezing temps, we would have to winterize which means draining all the water (tanks, W/H and lines) and adding antifreeze (Pink stuff).  Three season RV's won't have a lot of insulation either.  Condensation can freeze inside cabinets so doors and drawers should be left open.

You may want to check out true 4 season RV's.  Some makers have an "artic" package that includes more insulation, double pane windows and plumbing/tanks inside heated compartments.

Our small class C (custom built) is a four season RV. We've spent months in cold climates without any problems but plugging into the grid is necessary for more than a stay of a few days.  If you want to use all of your systems enclosed holding tanks are a must. We use a small heater in the holding tank enclosure. Fresh water lines should not be run inside the exterior walls. When temperatures are in the single digits doors to the cabinets where the plumbing is located should be left opened. The fresh water tank is usually inside so that's not a problem but we never keep the hose connected to an outside faucet.

Other things that make winter camping more comfortable are extra insulation and dual pane windows.

You'll be more likely to find a four season RV if you look at some of the Canadian manufacturers. 

Of the US manufacturers Tiger, Born Free and Lazydaze are all well made but I don't know if they have winter packages. When you go to look at a used RV check very carefully for leaks inside and out. Look for ripples in the walls, soft spots and stains.

If you don't find a four season RV it's still possible to live in your RV in very cold climates. Check out this blog post about wintering in Alaska - http://www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com/2014/02/winter-rv-living-in-alaska-update.html

I am in Colorado as well! In any factory built RV - even a so-called "four season" or "arctic" rig, it will be very difficult to keep plumbing from freezing. (How much do I know about this? Well, I've been in the wood stove/fireplace business, built off-grid solar systems and am now in the spray foam insulation/two-part polyurea lining - as in truck bed liners - business.)

I'm not a skier (one less car in your way on I-70!) but have spent plenty of time in ski areas doing fireplace/stove work and hangin with friends.  The only rigs that really work well in that weather are the million dollar custom coaches.

You can build your own far simpler rig within (or at least sorta close to) your present budget, and you can incorporate enough of the things the expensive coaches use to accomplish the same thing.

Hands down the best platform for a winter capable conversion is a school bus. I own one, and it will be fully winter capable when converted.  This is far too big a subject to cover here, but you can have what you want for far less than a manufactured "four season" rig and be far more comfortable while spending a lot less to live.

Quickly, the basics would be 1) good double pane RV windows - and not many of them, 2) spray foam insulation, 3) Webasto diesel fired heater combined with a wood stove, 4) a composting toilet, which is far less expensive than a winter proof black water system, 5) a roof covered with PV solar and 6) all fresh and gray water systems built completely inside the thermal envelope created by the spray foam insulation.

PM me if you'd like to get together and discuss!

Welcome debear! This forum has wonderful information as well as wonderful people.  They've helped me out greatly with tons of information that is helping me fine tune the direction I'm heading.

I have a friend with a Tiger Bengal , composting toilet . He actually goes NORTH in the winter for ice fishing.

I have an old , regular class C .
I have just survived my 2nd winter in Maine in it.
I drain my water and refill with 100% pink RV water system antifreeze . I don't use it for drinking or run the water heater but I can flush and dump toe black tank!
It is a little expensive but I CAN use it !
I use other facilities whenever possible to minimize but I DO use it with no worries of a "BLACK ICE CUBE" in my tank......
I have jugs for drinking and washing and use the stove to heat water.
And some well placed pieces of 1" foam insulation and my Big Buddy heater keeps me toasty ( well not cold anyway). Temps down below zero 10*-20*!

Where there's a will................

If you are remaining in one spot, you can build a greenhouse or a portable garage to park in, and then heat it. On sunny days, it may heat itself. This will protect your plumbing and keep it working, plus give you outside heated space to protect you from the weather.

If you need to be more mobile, you can use skirting to go clear to the ground, and then use a heater under the rig. Care needs to be taken to not cause a fire when doing this.

Heated tanks really only work if you have shore power, because they require substantial power.

Another option is to empty all of your tanks and winterize everything. Use portable water jugs that you keep inside, and use your toilet like a bucket toilet with a plastic bag for a liner, or a bucket toilet that you can place in the shower stall when not showering. Plug the drain in your shower, and use a portable shower pump. Plug your sink drains, and use trigger spray bottles for your water delivery. It will save you a ton of water usage, and is actually quite convenient. You can pump the drain water into a jug or bucket for later disposal. A 7 gallon grey water jug should last for a week of showers and other usage before needing dumping.

If your furnace can't keep up with the cold, you can supplement it with your stove and/or oven. Just make sure you always have good ventilation, even in the winter to prevent moisture build up. 12v electric blankets and seat cushions along with insulated coveralls can make lounging around much more comfortable. Same goes for bedtime use, along with a ski mask & goggles, or a sleep mask, and warm footwear.

highdesertranger said:
there is really no way to use the water system in freezing weather.  unless you get a specially built class c,   they are out there if you look,  but a true 4 season RV is rare.  btw the toilet is part of the water system so no water for flushing.  the holding tanks would also need to be heated.  I suggest you really start researching using an RV in freezing weather.  I just skimmed the surface,  if you want more info let us know.  highdesertranger

Yeah, started to delve into research on the matter. It's definitely doable, just quite a bit more challenging. Will certainly be looking for a unit without exposed pipes, but if there's no luck either serious insulation/heating or just winterize it completely and keep the pipes drained while we station at an RV park or campground.

B and C said:
Three season RV's won't have a lot of insulation either.  Condensation can freeze inside cabinets so doors and drawers should be left open.

You may want to check out true 4 season RV's.  Some makers have an "artic" package that includes more insulation, double pane windows and plumbing/tanks inside heated compartments.

That's helpful, thank you!

tonyandkaren said:
Our small class C (custom built) is a four season RV. We've spent months in cold climates without any problems but plugging into the grid is necessary for more than a stay of a few days.  If you want to use all of your systems enclosed holding tanks are a must. We use a small heater in the holding tank enclosure. Fresh water lines should not be run inside the exterior walls. When temperatures are in the single digits doors to the cabinets where the plumbing is located should be left opened. The fresh water tank is usually inside so that's not a problem but we never keep the hose connected to an outside faucet.

Other things that make winter camping more comfortable are extra insulation and dual pane windows.

You'll be more likely to find a four season RV if you look at some of the Canadian manufacturers. 

Of the US manufacturers Tiger, Born Free and Lazydaze are all well made but I don't know if they have winter packages. When you go to look at a used RV check very carefully for leaks inside and out. Look for ripples in the walls, soft spots and stains.

If you don't find a four season RV it's still possible to live in your RV in very cold climates. Check out this blog post about wintering in Alaska - http://www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com/2014/02/winter-rv-living-in-alaska-update.html

Extremely helpful! Checking out that post now. I certainly won't be steering clear of colder temps, but am unfortunately not the most handy for a full on custom build. I think with proper insulation and as you mentioned, staying plugged in for most of the stay, we should manage. Great tips, cheers