Solo female safety/security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would sure hate to close this thread because it has turned into a pro-gun/anti-gun argument. please drop it. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I would sure hate to close this thread because it has turned into a pro-gun/anti-gun argument.  please drop it.  highdesertranger
To clarify, the song "Lucky Man" by ELP was posted as a requiem for a well loved bodyguard who died in his line of work. He will always be missed. I always think of him when I start letting my own skills become lax, and remembering him is a motivator to training. He recommended building muscle mass as a shield and performance / confidence enhancer. Using professional security may solve your problem, and is a non violent form of self defense.    ~crofter

I liked the major thread components, so thanks for a light hand HDR.

No one ever changed anyone's mind by a forum discussion anyway I don't think :)

So I have read a lot of things about a dog. And I have a resent story about our dog. First off he is a 100 + pound beast that is a very serious looking love. And he has become very quiet. We worked on that. It's ok to tell us someone is close, but not to bark and bark and bark.
We went in to a bar with out paying enough attention to our surroundings. As we sat down to eat we saw a car pull up really close to our van. Not overly worried...The dog is there.... After a minute and looking around at what and where we were hubby decided to go out and lock up the van. Car had just split in a bit of a hurry. Hubby locked up and didn't really look at anything and it was still daylight etc. Any way we went out after dinner and rush hour traffic had died down, etc. Dog was still in my seat and as we got in the van realized someone had turned on the back lights, not us not, the dog. I said we had been working, maybe to hard, to get the dog to not be barking to much, so I can just imagine someone turning on the lights and then seeing the dog with his teeth showing. (he still does that) I am just glad the dog is ok and who ever was in the van didn't stick around, also learned to look around a bit more when stopping of a few hours. Maybe the bar next to the pot shop and strip club and bikini coffee stand off the side of an old junk yard is not where we should be stopping... Lesson learned

I own firearms but would never take them on the road. Too many conflicting firearm laws from state to state. I would instead rely on the awareness of my dog although Jack Russells are not much of a threat. Bear spray and a paintball gun cranked up to its highest velocity....

Gary

MartyGras said:
... Bear spray and a paintball gun cranked up to its highest velocity....

Gary
Paintball gun? Toy guns have been perceived during encounters as a firearm. I would not advise using a toy in place of a firearm.  How about using what is legal in the states you travel in?   ~crofter

I noticed a guy camping by the women's caravan last evening. He came right into my camp trying to insert himself into my activity. Beware ladies, creepers are out there.  -crofter

This is a stupid question, but- I have a large can of bear spray, but I'm wondering if it works okay when temps drop down below freezing? I haven't tried a spray test, but maybe I should try.

I don't know what brand of bear spray you have. It is a good question so I took the time to do some research on the use at various temperatures.

I would suspect other brands have a similar rating. There are two sections here, one for average temperatures but the last part of this post is about using bear spray in much colder temperatures.

This first section is information from the Mace brand of bear spray. Mace being a very well known name in protection sprays.
STORAGE: Store in cool dry areas away from heat, flame or strong sunlight. Do not store where temperature may exceed 120°F/50°C such as an enclosed vehicle, which can cause spray canisters to leak from over pressurization and fail to function properly. Do not store in cold environments below 32°F/0°C, which can cause depressurization and the loss of effective range.

EXPIRATION: Mace Brand pepper sprays have a shelf life of three years from the date of manufacture and each unit is labeled with an expiration date. An expired unit will not have the amount of pressurization needed to spray properly. Expired units should be disposed of in accordance with all local, state and federal regulations. We recommend purchasing a new unit every two to three years to make sure you are always safe!

But of course many bears are in hibernation in the really cold areas of the mainland areas of USA....except Polar Bears which are indeed very dangerous creatures. So therefore up north they have learned how to use bear spray even at lower temperatures. So here is the advise from the brand Counter Assault about using bear spray in colder temperature ranges.

Will Counter Assault work in freezing temperatures?
May 5, 2017 by Counter Assault

Yes, although it will not spray as far at freezing temperatures because a decrease in temperature causes a decrease in pressure. In extreme cold weather, American and Canadian park rangers carry their Counter Assault under their jackets to keep it warm for emergency use. It has been used effectively in Cape Churchill, Manitoba against polar bears using this method and also in the Arctic at extremely low temperatures of 12°F/-12°C to -6°F/-22°C.

crofter said:
I noticed a guy camping by the women's caravan last evening. He came right into my camp trying to insert himself into my activity. Beware ladies, creepers are out there.  -crofter

Maybe he didn't know it was a womens' caravan. Is there big signs out that say 'Women Only'! If not, how was he to know that and additionally, that you didn't want a man around. Maybe he was just trying to be a good neighbor

I give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Almost There said:
Maybe he didn't know it was a womens' caravan. Is there big signs out that say 'Women Only'! If not, how was he to know that and additionally, that you didn't want a man around. Maybe he was just trying to be a good neighbor

I give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
I give people the benefit of the doubt too. But I also keep pepper spray at hand if I am in a place of question. I trust most people, but use caution when a stranger gets to aggressive or pushy. Not all are worthy of my trust.

Almost There said:
...Maybe he was just trying to be a good neighbor....
Situational awareness skills require that you listen to your awareness. I do not allow others to enter my personal camp uninvited. And certainly not when I am getting ready to shower. 

The man did have posted signs to refer to. The man did have camp ettiquette to refer to. The man stated that he had followed other all female groups in the past.  The man entered my camp to assess my level of self defense and for no other reason. If you are situationally aware, you know that the interview precedes the assault. That was the interview.

Since I have wheels, I chose to leave. End of story.   -crofter

Everyone mentions if they feel threatened they would just leave....what if you couldn’t just leave , what if your tires were flat for some strange reason ??? I would want to be prepared for anything and I wouldn’t hesitate to use deadly force to protect myself ,

Gypsy108 said:
....what if you couldn’t just leave , what if your tires were flat for some strange reason ???  ...
Great minds think alike. When I was preparing to leave, the thought of that man flattening my tires was a driving force. I could not have slept a wink there.    -crofter