Simple Versus Elaborate Buildout

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies and shared experiences. I think I'm now seeing clear peril in any type of major buildout prior to getting on the road. I'm also seeing the benefit of portability of appliances.

My "build" for this first couple months of van living has been a camping cot, some plastic bins, and two plastic drawer systems. And I've changed the configuration and what is stored in each a couple times. I have a camp stove, a collapsible wash basin (use to have an uncollapsible one, love this one), and a small container to go to the bathroom. I gave up having a fridge and went completely non-perishable, because I got sick of trips to the store for ice. I couldn't afford solar and the tiny little "solar generator" I got cheap (and charge via the 12 volt hook up in the car) basically is *only* good for charging my laptop and phone. It can't handle any major duty like a fridge and after trying out the cooler thing for a bit, I got annoyed and went "no fridge" and it's been perfectly fine.

The reason for my decision was that I was living in a car before this, so I had to do a quick move out of car and into van. i had no choice but to think of the quickest/easiest solutions to getting organized and comfortable. Which was a camping cot and plastic bins/storage.

But I think it's good that was my situation. If I had permanently "built" anything, I would have been stuck with a configuration that didn't work. I know now I'm perfectly happy with a twin size bed that won't take over the space and I have a better idea of how I'd like to store and configure things for the way I live.

I've also gotten rid of and changed bins out. So right now I'm learning about even the size of configurations in my van. And how they feel. I'm glad I was in a situation where going simple was the only real choice. Because I can change as I learn before I bolt anything down.

OK, I'll buck the trend here. My most recent build was a mid top Dodge van, some of you saw it at RTR 2016. Nicely appointed inside, but not good enough.

The new project has 7 foot ceilings, a full 32 inch one piece shower, 500 watts of solar, a 32 gallon water tank with 6 gallon Suburban water heater, Panasonic microwave, ARB compressor fridge, full size bed, MaxxAire roof vent, Propex HS2800 vented heater, Frigidaire A/C, 2 burner stovetop built in, Prosine 2.0 pure sinewave inverter/charger backed up with a Honda inverter/generator.

If I'm making it my home it has to be liveable. Some people are good minimalists, I'm not.

im on my 3rd interior makeover -
adding better shelving
shelves are all now slanted so stuff stays in place

when first building van i think its better to just do a ok build quality
because its likely be changing interior around as you change your mind
and decide what you need and want to make comfortable for you -

i did install a comfortable bed frome beginning
good sleep is important to me

I like simple and cheap, that way I can change it with no regrets.

Mine is simple so to speak, I put in House batteries, charge controller, Lighting and a Vent fan.
After that I did some three day trips, and that's when I discoverd other things I need and didn't.

One item and most disagree is a bar fridge. I used a cooler with ice a couple times and didn't really like that. I bought a cheap compressor bar fridge from Wal mart. Run it off my 2000 watt inverter. It's actually pretty thrifty on power usage. So much nicer than dealing with the ice. Has helpd up for three years so far, at $80.00 it was a bargain.

I'm now looking at portable screening of the doors, and a canopy. Haven't done that yet but one factor to remember is WIND.
It's got to be solid or able to be quickly closed up. I've run into dust devils that literally shook the van HARD and would most certainly ripped it off.

I like to determine my use case first. To create the use case, I create at least 2 lists. First is the "must have" list and then the "would like to have" list. Then I add the items to each respective list. Then I create a design with the must have items and when done, see what the impact would be to add items from the "would like to have list" after the fact. If I need to modify items to make it easy or less costly to add additional items, it is best to think of it from the start. It is not uncommon for folks to make changes to their rigs after a few trips and experience. So best to plan for change. One item in particular is electrical. Many people bury the runs behind insulation and walls. If you need to change, add, or delete, this is very problematic. I like running electrical in a chase and the same for plumbing. This way repairs and modifications are more easily doable.

It seems to me that change is the only thing you can be sure of. Even if you do a super build out and use for several years you will eventually change it or more than likely sell it at a loss and build something else. Just depends how much you need to be comfortable and how much can afford to loose when it happens.

When I got my van a few years back I had no idea how simple or complex I wanted to go. I just knew I wanted to be able to stand up in it and be able to park it in a normal parking spot. So in the beginning I built a temp bed in the back with a memory foam mattress so I would be comfortable. Then I started going on trips. I used a cooler for the first year and some plastic drawers that I bought at walmart to store things in.

As time went by I realized that if I was going to ever go full time then being comfortable was a higher priority. I also had the luxury of time to do my build. After two years on and off of doing my build it's safe to say that I went with the complex build. One of the reasons was because I wanted the comfort and for the van to be easy to live in. But the other reason was just to see if I could do it. I had to learn about plumbing, solar, 12v electrical, propane, installing water tanks etc...

I finished the build about a year ago and have been full time in it since then. But the two years I spent building it were a total joy. I loved trying to figure out how to put 5lbs of stuff into a 3lb bag. From designing what to build to figuring out how to build it was something I totally enjoyed doing.

So in the end I have a family elaborate build. But as the last year has flown by I realize that living in the van has been a pretty simple thing to accomplish. I'm in the LA area right now which makes van life super easy. Always easy to find fresh water. Plenty of places to park each night and blend in. But because I was able to take the time to figure out what I wanted in a van and had the time to build it I really enjoy living in the van. I probably could have gone the super simple build out and been just as happy though. I think that the van life is in you or it's not.

My only advice would be to do and build what suits you and your needs. It's so easy to see what others are building and think you need it as well. I don't have an inverter which most people seem to need. When I was building my van out and planning my electrical I just didn't see what I would use with an inverter so I didn't put one in. And I don't miss it at all. Because it doesn't really fit my needs. But on the other hand I wanted bathroom and ended up putting in a wet bath. The topic of bathroom or no bathroom has gone back and forth on the forum with the majority not needing a bathroom. But for me it was important. I don't regret for a second taking up the space to put a wet bath in. For me it works and fits my needs. So figure out what is important to you and go with that. You can always start simple and build out slowly as you go. That worked for me because it gave me time to figure out what I really wanted.

Deadwood do you have photos of your build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
Deadwood do you have photos of your build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Cammalu.    I have some pictures but I've been a little disorganized with them. Plus I just moved to LA for Philadelphia. I've been meaning for quite a while to do a thread with my build and put some pictures up. I'll have some free time at the holidays and will get my pictures together and start a thread.

MikeRuth said:
Mine is simple so to speak, I put in House batteries, charge controller, Lighting and a Vent fan.
After that I did some three day trips, and that's when I discoverd other things I need and didn't.

One item and most disagree is a bar fridge. I used a cooler with ice a couple times and didn't really like that. I bought a cheap compressor bar fridge from Wal mart. Run it off my 2000 watt inverter. It's actually pretty thrifty on power usage. So much nicer than dealing with the ice. Has helpd up for three years so far, at $80.00 it was a bargain.

I'm now looking at portable screening of the doors, and a canopy. Haven't done that yet but one factor to remember is WIND.
It's got to be solid or able to be quickly closed up. I've run into dust devils that literally shook the van HARD and would most certainly ripped it off.

Hey MikeRuth,  Great build pics.  Very nice work on the battery tray!

deadwood said:
Hi Cammalu.    I have some pictures but I've been a little disorganized with them. Plus I just moved to LA for Philadelphia. I've been meaning for quite a while to do a thread with my build and put some pictures up. I'll have some free time at the holidays and will get my pictures together and start a thread.

I'm also interested. Your description sounds a lot like what I have in mind.

Just call me "Blister", I show up 20 minutes AFTER the work is done - or in this case weeks after the original post....

Our build is simple and basic. I wanted to put in nice cabinets and make it "pretty" for Jeanne, but, she has been with me 17 yrs and has adopted my cheap lifestyle. She bought two plastic three drawer units (walmart) at a garage sale for $10 - that's our dresser/kitchen cabinet with a 24x60 countertop on the drivers side. Full-size 8" thick memory foam bed across the backdoors, 5 15x12x24 totes, a dometic 974 toilet and toolbox under the bed. On passenger side going forward from bed is a 12" wide hanging closet ( also stores her ice maker ), a 24.5" three shelf pantry with 14 gallons of fresh water underneath. Between the front seats - an Edgestar FP430 12v fridge. Let me clean house and pictures will follow.

We have been living in this since August 2018 and will be heading to Key West and South Florida January 4th to get warm, then once Arizona starts to warm up, we will go West and hopefully there will be another caravan to join up with.

Key West = very nice.

Make sure to see the Cat Man at Mallory Square. :)

RogerD said:
Pics/video, please!

I have an extended chevy express and plan to build an insulated partition right behind the rear wheel wells. The purpose is to separate the living area from the garage and to house an AC unit.

I have pondered over the idea if I could run a generator in the garage area to cut down on the noise  / if it is safe enough to do. As I don't know how airtight it will really be from the living area.
The built in generator boxes are not just about being airtight from the rest of the RV, it is also about fire control measures. So basically it is not actually safe to stick a generator into a cargo bay to run it, it is instead quite risky to do so. However you could try going to an RV surplus outfit and purchasing an RVIA compliant generator enclosure from an old RV that has dimension that would fit and then retro fit that into your cargo bay area.  It will involve both metal working and carpentry skills to do the modification. Plus of course some fuel line work, electrical work as well as using fire retardant caulking products. So lots of skills, a bunch of tools plus extra parts and some cash. Remember this, built in generators are directly connected to the fuel tank of the vehicle. Otherwise you would have to remove the generator from the compartment to be able to put fuel into it. If you are going to have to take it out to refuel it you might as well leave it outside to run it.

An less expensive alternative would be to have a generator box mounted to the rear bumper area. There are quite a few companies making products for that. One caution is if you leave the generator in the box while it is running it must be rated for that purpose. The other caution is you don't want to have any open windows or doors that are so close to the generator that the exhaust fumes will enter into your dwelling space.

Of course there will also be the noise factor and the vibration factors with a running generator that is incorporated into the support structure of your vehicle. That physical connection will transfer the noise and the vibrations into your dwelling space. Everything has a trade off in this case the convenience of having it close to the convenience of gaining reduced noise and fumes by setting it further away from your vehicle. For myself there is also the issue of it is more physically difficult and risky to move heavier objects as my back is not as strong as that of many people. That creates another benefit versus inconveniences into the decision tree of what will work best. In the end for everyone of us this is something that must be decided based on your own needs and your own limitations be they physical or financial or a combination of factors such as having the skills to make structural modification, fabrication and safe connections for fuel, exhaust and electrical.

We started with a simple build (in my opinion): 200W of solar, portable butane stove, no plumbing, no toilet, shower ect. We certainly had the funds to go bigger but decided we could always add those components later on.

I'm SO glad we started simple! We really don't need anything extra and I haven't felt like I'm missing out on anything. It has saved us a lot of money in the long run.

You don't really know what you need until you try van dwelling for a week or two. So I would try to take a couple days 'vacation' and give it a go with the essentials. You'll find out pretty quickly what you want.

^^^ My experience was very similar. I started out simple, and found I didn't really need any more than that.

My hypothesis is that backpackers and hikers tend to adjust to vandwelling pretty easily--we're already pretty used to living with nothing and adapting to local conditions. It's the apartment-dwellers who want to reproduce their apartment environment inside a van or RV, and that is, alas, not easy to do, especially for vans. The massive infrastructure that is available in a house or apartment just ain't there in a van or small RV. It can be done, but it's not easy or cheap.

I went more complex and we're still working on it. Plan to full-time, so wanted it to work for me. Good electrical, water pump & 2.5 gallon electric water heater, high top. Jerry cans for gray water & cassette toilet for more flexible dumping. It is over budget and over on time. In hindsight, not sure. Decide what you need. Mine is borderline Class B. If I had to do it over again, would likely spend more on van and less on build. I'll know more in a year :)

I started out on borrowed piece of plywood on a wheel well as a bed held up at one end by a cut off 2x4, a 5 gallon water bucket with a nozzle in the cab, cooked on the dog house on single burner backpackers stove with set of backpackers pots and pans, someone donated me a cup and few utensils and dishes and a folding camp chair.
9 years later, it is very comfortable with a place for everything. A porta potty, a sink and hand pump water tanks under the sink, a two burner propane stove, vented propane heater, tv, vcr, stereo, 140 watts of solar, windows screens, plenty of storage, lockers inside and out,fully insulated and very pretty.

Latest posts