Converting High Top NV2500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamperJ

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all of you that have posted. I've learned a lot from this forum. Figured I'd start a thread on my conversion to motivate me to keep a record, post pictures (which I wouldn't bother with if I didn't have a reason to do it), and hopefully help others that may be in the process of their own build. My goal is to be done with my build in 3-4 months, at least have a working model. Everything done except maybe small cosmetic details.

Recently purchased a NV2500 SV, v8 engine, hightop. Really like it. Decided on it mostly from reviews, and v8 for the added power and the possibility of towing in the future. So far, I really really like it. It's comfortable, very roomy. Also I like that it's rear wheel drive. And it looked easier to work on in the unfortunate event that I found myself having to work on it. The side ways engines, I've always found them to be extremely  difficult and cramped. I shouldn't have to work on it but in the situation that I found myself needing to do my own maintenance, change out a water pump, radiator, or whatever. I'm confident that I can easily do it on this machine if I'm in a situation where I have to. Then just the reviews, seems to get good reviews for reliability and what not. It has a good warranty, so that was a big motivating factor as well. 

I've been interested in doing this for about 4 years. So I've watched 100's of videos. However, now that it's actually here and happening, I find myself having to seriously rethink everything.

I'm a solo traveler. I'm still on the fence on whether to put in a single bed, or put in a futon type deal so that I have a couch to lounge on and in which I can extend in the event that I have a guest traveling with me for a weekend. Guest aside, someone can always sleep on the floor or outside in a tent. The bed would be more comfortable for sleeping, but the futon would be more comfortable for lounging. I'm not 100% decided on it, but being that I plan to be out and about, only hanging out in the van to sleep, cook/eat, I'll probably go with a 30 inch trucker bed. Maybe just get some extra pillows to put against the wall if I do decide to lounge.

I plan on being in urban environments and the wilderness 70/30. 70+% urban, then getting away into isolation 2-3 months a year.

Main things I desire. 

1. I need to cook. Currently the only cooking tools I use at home are a frying pan, using only one eye on the stove, and a rice cooker for making various dishes, pasta, and then the steamer option. Rice cooker is out of the question due to energy cost. I thought about getting a convection top but I don't think it's the best option. So planning to go with a portable single or dual propane stove. Frying pan and then a pressure cooker. That should allow me to not have to change my cooking routines. Also doing a portable cooker instead of built, so I can set up outside if I want, and extra counter space when I'm not using it.

2. I want the option to be able to take a shower if need be, so plan to set up a hot water heater with a hose where I can hose outside of the van. Also propane. Mostly I'll take showers at the gym. But need the option when in the wilderness or away from town.

3. I want to be able to have power on the road. I plan to install a roof rack, and then install solar panels on the roof rack.

4. I like the idea of lithium batteries, not having to worry about going below 50%, and I don't want to worry about venting them, and it's my understanding that lithium doesn't need to be vented. So I plan to spend the extra money and just go with lithium.

5. On the emergency toilet. Still undecided. I like the idea of the thetson toilet, however, I don't see myself using it on a regular basis. If I'm in the wilderness, I'm going to have to dump it which means digging a hole and dumping it. So why not just dig a hole and not worry about carrying a big container around. So probably going to go with the bucket for emergencies and double bag and use a water bottle to pee in, which I can carry into stores and dump in the toilet. So right now leaning towards 5 gallon bucket and a smaller sized shovel, which I've got both of those already. Or I might get one of those fold up camping shovels. Still though, not 100% decided. I'll probably do the bucket and if I don't like it or can't get used to it. I'll go with the thetson toilet and just keep a space open in my build where I can place one if I decide to go that route in the future.

6. Bed or Futon. Need to sleep and want to be comfortable. Probably going to go with a 30 inch by 80 inch bed.

7. Fantastic fan. Gotta have it. I don't plan to have A/C. Too much hassle and if it's over 90 degrees for more than a week. I'll go somewhere else.

8. Heating. Still undecided. Should I go with a combustion furnace, or a Buddy heater. The only reason I'd want the combustion heater is to have a thermostat and have it turn on automatically while I sleep. But I might just get an electric blanket. Still not decided. Mr. Buddy Heated would be easier to deal with I would assume. I got to figure that out.

9. Gotta have my computer. So I want a little desk area, or a slide out one so I can set up. I mostly use a tablet w/ keyboard which I know I'll have. Printing and what not. I use my printer maybe once a month. So I plan to just go to the library when I need to print something. And if I need to print something, it's going to be because I need to mail something. So I'll be in town anyways. Why waste the space on a printer.

10. Tools, gotta have my tools. So plan to bring my tools, which isn't a lot. Can fit them all in two 2 foot by 1 foot by 1 foot boxes. which I already have. Plan to put those under the bed.

11. Water. I gotta have plenty of water, especially if I want to go into isolation for 3-4 weeks at a time. I'm going to go with the 7 gallon aqua-tainers on that, 4 or 5. 

12. I need a sink with running water. I know the water heater I'm looking at will pump out water. But also going to get a normal water pump. I don't want any water storage tanks. So grey water will go into a 5 gallon bucket that I can dump when needed. 

13. I feel I need a space to hang coats and a suit, in the once a twice a year I go to an event. Do I really need it? I don't know, but feel I should have it just in case. So planning to build a small space to hang things. Fairly small, and then also use it for storage, so build some small cabinets to store things. Clothes, currently I only really wear 3 pairs of jeans. Wear them 2-3 times before washing. Then lots of tshirts, socks and underwear that I change daily. The two pairs of shorts. I don't think I need that much space for clothes. Mostly I see winter clothes being a bigger concern, and being winter, I think I can get by on 1 or 2 outfits, maybe a light jacket and a heavy jacket and a beanie to keep my head warm.

I'm slightly anal, if you can't tell already. So I plan to build everything in modules. Bed, storage over bed. Sink and kitchen area. Then the storage for clothes. Then bolt it into the original bolting points that already exist in the van. I know I'll have to screw some things in, but I'd like to be able to take things out in the more likely scenario, that I want to change something in the future, or at least modify it.

I don't plan to be anywhere where the ground is frozen for more than 24 hours. I don't like ice and I don't like snow. I plan to spend the majority of the winters in the south. And the majority of the summers up north. 

I got to figure out the insulation. On this van, there are lots and lots of small crevices. No way am I going to be able to insulate the whole van, on top of that. I think it would probably be unnecessary if I don't plan to go anywhere below freezing for more than 24 hours. And the poly boards don't seem to be that great of an option for the majority of the van. I've seen one build where they used some type of fiber material. I'm still on the fence. If it was set up like most vans. I'd probably do bubble wrap, reflectics and then the poly insulation board. I got to figure that out.

Not sure on the floor either. It already has some rubber material and some fabric type insulation on the floor. I may decide to just build on that. If anyone has any comments on that idea. Love to hear them.

Then there are 4 lights in the back already. I'm not to keen on unplugging them and tucking away the wires, they seem to have wiring harnesses on them. Instead I plan to just move them into the clothing cabinet, top area of the sink and stove area and what not. That way they are still intact and will bring extra lighting in those areas if I need it.

I'm going to try to make it look cool. paint and seal the material. Then maybe get some cool lighting in there. Some rope lighting or maybe those LED's that change colors. Also, I got some surround sound speakers for my computer, small but decent. Maybe see if I can slap those in there to have a cool sound system. 

I've watched a lot of videos and what not. The one I liked the best was Lee's setup that was on the enigmatic nomadic youtube channel. I like his set up a lot, basic layout. So I plan to copy a lot of things from that video. And I'll probably copy the bed and sink area, and battery/solar layout exactly, at least where they are placed.

Anyway, that's where I am now. I don't plan to actually start for another 4-6 weeks. I've got to decide on what I'm going to put into it first, then I'll build around that. So I don't even see a point in measuring things out yet until I get the gear. As I want everything to fit as close as possible to make as much use of the room available as possible. I think in 2 weeks, I'll start putting in my orders. I could probably get everything now, as I'm pretty confident what I want to put in it, but going to give myself a couple weeks. As even after getting the van, what I thought I wanted before hand has now changed. Also I've got to study up on solar, I know the basics but not enough to be comfortable making those kind of buying decisions. 

That's all I got for now. I'll keep a journal here as I progress. Any feedback or comments will be appreciated.

The NV has a smaller living area because of the nice, roomy cab and the larger engine compartment. For me, the sacrifice of space was worth it, primarily because I didn't want a Mercedes. Fiat or Ford. I have a NV 3500 and Hubby has a 2500. My bed is a full size lengthwise as originally we were going to be traveling together until we decided that we would kill each other in such close quarters. I'm 5'8". Hubby is 5'11" and his bed will be a shortened full-sized bed crosswise in his van and he'll be sleeping diagonally. That way he'll have more areafin front for sitting and cooking.

There are some good Youtube videos on NV conversions. Also, there are threads on NV conversions in the Nissan NV Owners forum.

Congratulations on your new vehicle! Have fun making it your own.
Ted

Hey thanks WalkaboutTed on the info of the Nissan NV Owners Forum. Saw your post on there. That's another great resource. I'll be looking through their post as well before I make my final decisions on insulation and flooring.

...   nice choice CamperJ , I'm very satisfied with my '16 2500 V6 , fyi , the cabin air filter box is there but empty - the filter for the Nissan GTR is the one that fits . Gotta remove the glove box to get to it . Good luck with yours , I still go almost everywhere I did when I had a 4x4 ...

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20161213_171831.jpg
    IMG_20161213_171831.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
@Retired Nomad - Awesome, and thanks for the tip.

On the Conversion---------
I haven't put in my orders just yet, but getting pretty sure I'll do that soon. First I'm going to order the gear and then I need to get the lights. That way I can measure everything out. Been reading up on solar and I want to make sure I calculate all my possible energy use before putting in the orders for the solar panels, inverter and all that. On Solar, I've been reading Will Prowse's book on the subject. I know some about electrity from doing basic home repairs, but nothing on solar and I found this book to explain it fairly well.

I want to start doing the insulation soon. I'm a little bit on the perfectionist side, which slows me down. The idea of using foam makes me nervous because I think, well what if decide I don't like something and then can't move my wires through the foam, or whatever.

Then I was thinking about the doors. Like how am I going to insulate the doors. Then this thought came to me.

I know reflectix is super controversial. However, I think it can work, but not in the way most people would think. On the windshield and the front windows. I was thinking if I got a shade for it, which I plan to, one of those that keeps the sun's rays from coming into the van. In the winter time, when the sun is down or not bright, I could reverse it so that the reflective properties are facing inside the van.

Let me explain my theory. Heat transfers into Cold. So when we use air conditioning, we're not actually cooling off the house but REMOVING the HEAT from the house.

The issue with reflectix is that it needs to reflect. If it's pressed up against something, it doesn't reflect, it doesn't work. There has to be air.

So I read articles about how people were using it in attics and it was crap in the winter. Well, it's laying down on the floors. The only way I can perceive it being valuable in the winter if it was actually inside the house posted all over the walls and ceiling. Which is not attractive. Or at the very least, posted all over the roof of the house in the attic, which means it would be punctured by all the nails from the roofing.

Reflectix simply keeps the heat from moving from one area into another by reflecting it back. Insulation, slows the speed of transfer from the hotter area to the colder area. It has to go through the insulation. It merely slows the tranfer down. Reflectix bounces the heat back. Heat ----> Cold. it's NEVER cold into heat.

On reflectix there has to be an air barrier. So when people glue it on to the walls and then cover it with insulation it doesnt do anything. Then when they cover only the outside with bubble wrap or some type of air area of the appropriate size, it only works to keep the heat from transferring through on that side. On the other side, where it's touching, it's useless or mostly useless.

With that being said. The areas that would be hard to insulate. I could merely get some velcro and velcro the reflectix onto the doors. Then on the windshield and windows, same thing, reflecting side facing into the van. I then have the air on the side that I want the energy to not transfer through, have it reflect back into the van. So the heat from my physical body would not transfer through but reflect off the material and back into the van. Again the only way I can see reflectix working for staying warm is if it is actually visible inside the van. Which is not attractive because it makes everything look like a giant mirror.

I plan to use velcro so that I can remove it. Because if it's comfortable outside, I do want the heat from my physical body to transfer through the van into the colder air, I don't want the heat from my body being stuck in the van when it's 70 degrees outside.

The other problem is the actual metal. It's a giant heat sink. So on the doors, they have air in between them. But the metal on the doors, going from outside to inside, the heat will transfer through the actual medal. If you touch the metal it's cold, removing heat from my hand and into the metal.

So for example on the ribs on the side of the van. I could fill those with foam, but the metal is still exposed, and the metal of the ribs then goes to the metal of the outside of the van. The heat inside the van would then be absorbed into the metal of those ribs and then released outside. Heat goes into Cold, never the other way around.

So with all that being said. I'm not going to worry about getting it truly insulated, because it's impossible. More like just attempting to minimize the heat loss. Instead of the entire van absorbing all the heat and releasing outside in the winter. I'll work on minimizing the transfer with insulation board, basically make it a less efficient heat sink. Doors, I'll just velcro some reflectix on it to bounce back the heat from my body and heater and keep it in the van for a longer period of time. Then the same with the windshield, which is probably one of the biggest areas of concern. In the winter, when the sun is down or not strong, put up the windshield deal but with the reflectix facing into the van to reflect the heat from inside the van, (my physical body and/or heater) back into the van instead of escaping through the windshield.

That's my thoughts. And that's what I plan to do. At least for right now. Just wanted to share.

In the summer, the goal is to keep the heat from coming into the van. And to remove the heat from inside the van being produced by the physical body, electronics, and the suns rays through the windows, and the physical heat being transfered from the metal.

In the winter, the goal is not to keep the cold out, but to keep the heat in.

You are correct about everything you said, but there is one area you are missing out on. Reflectix only works on radiant heat, it does basically no good against conduction or convection heat. The problem inside a van or RV in the winter is that very little of it is radiant. In an RV with a furnace, none of it is radiant, it's all conduction and convection. The flame in the furnace is, but when it is blown out it isn't anymore.

In a van, it starts out as radiant heat in a Mr Buddy or Olympian, but as it travels through the air it becomes convection as the heat is transferred to the air and when it strikes something (which it does pretty quickly in the crowded space of a van) that thing absorbs the radiant heat and it then stops being radiant heat and becomes conducted heat. The heat is then re-radiated from that item but with very little force or travel.

The bottom line is that lining the doors, walls and roof with reflectix inside the van will do some good, but not a whole lot.

A vastly better idea is to buy polyoso which has an R-Value of almost 7 and works extremely well against both conduction and convection heat loss. And be sure to buy the brand with a silver foil on one side. Put the silver foil toward the inside and it will work every bit as well as Reflectix and be free because you bought insulation and got the foil for no extra charge.

@askrvbob - thanks for the insights. Biggest thing I'm learning is to not worry about it being perfect and don't over think it. I'm going to go with the boards like you say. And now after you've explained the idea of how reflectix is not going to bounce back the heat from my body, but only the heater, it becomes less valuable in my mind. All I can do is do the best I can with what I have available, and what amount of time I want to put into it.

My first game plan was to go all out. Now, I'm just going to create a prototype. And build as I go. Being I need a bed first. That's the first thing I'll build, then just use plastic bins and other things I already have around the house to make a makeshift unit. That way I don't waste money, and can build it in stages, spend the money over time.

I'm going to create it modular, so I can pull out my segments, change them, clean them up, add aesthetics, paneling, etc. But I realize, the idea of trying to get it perfect, waste of time. There's pros/cons to every configuration. I simply need to 'discover" the configuration that works for me.

So I'm going to build a half*** unit but keeping in mind that later on I'll want it to look cleaner, so the bones being what I want, but not worry about painting it/sealing it until later. Use it for a while, then perfect it as I go. That way if it doesn't work, well I haven't wasted as much time. That being said, I don't plan to put paneling on the walls yet, making the walls look nice. I'll install insulation boards where I can, and leave it open until I'm confident it's the way I want it, get my wiring layout how I want, and all that.

I'll go test it out, if it needs more insulation, well the walls are still open and everything is visible, I just keep working on it and it's not a big deal. I don't have to get it right the first try.

Also I'm just ready to start taking some trips in it. I don't want to wait 3-4 months, I want to go on a trip within a month. At least short one, like 3 days or a week. I don't even need solar for a short trip. Just the bed, some water, some food, and a stove thing to cook some food with. So now that's my new plan. Just half*** it, get a prototype that works, and perfect it as I go.

CamperJ... From what you wrote, I am obviously your mobile living doppelganger. I shall be watching your build postings closely.

OK, going to add some images as I go along.

Here is the inside of the van. Just starting out. Nothing Changed.
iRn9nN2.jpg

I removed the lights by undoing the plastic climps. I used a screwdriver and simply pushed in the sides and pulled them out. I plan to place these lights on the build. Though I'll rarely use them, this keeps me from needing to figure out what to do with them. And I don't want to cut them as I want to leave everything on the fan as undamaged as possible. I tucked them away inside the wall for now.
7NUHIPP.jpg

I decided to create some templates for the roof insulation. Instead of measuring as it's odd shaped. Figured this would be easier and less costly on materials.
iiHm5uU.jpg

I stuck the paper on the ceiling of the van. I then drew a line using a pen to outline the template. The paper is held with the blue paper tak stuff and two magnets. If I had more magnets, I may get some more, I'd use them. The magnets are really useful using this method.
yuMLjnp.jpg

Finished template. Ready to cut. I used an extended box blade to cut the material while being careful as the blade was going through the material.
N69EKxg.jpg

Using this method, I was able to get the insulation board in and it was almost perfect. I had to but a small triangle on the edge because I underestimated the obstruction from where the ribs come out by the walls. Basically it was almost perfect, just had to skim a small bit off. So I think this might be a good method. There is currently no glue holding this in. It's that perfect of a fit.
ROZNori.jpg

I have a gap on each side. This was done intentionally because if I went all the way across, the ledges on the side of the van would lower the whole board and create a massive air pocket. It wouldn't be able to even touch the ceiling. So later on, I'll fill these gaps with more board. I'm not an expert, first time ever doing this. My theory is that I simply want to get as much of the insulation material onto the metal as possible. The less open air touching the metal the better. The metal is going to suck out the heat. If I can keep the air from touching the metal or getting to the metal, that should slow down the heat from leaving my van.
Ic5H24H.jpg

I'm just learning as I go. If anyone sees any errors or something that I will later regret, please feel free to chime in.

Currently I have not glued them in place. I'll do that later on so I can do all the glueing of the ceiling in one go, instead of having to switch back and forth.

Did some more work today. Being the fall has arrived, sun isn't out as long, but getting it done one step at a time.

CtJW2f4.jpg

The very back had a groove in it that was keep the back of the foam from touching and leaving a good 5 feet by 1 foot of open area, where air can seep in. Decided to cut a groove the foam to combat this. Worked perfectly. The way I did this. I adjusted my blade to the proper debt of the groove I needed. That being about 3mm. I then drew the line on the foam, made my slices and pealed back the foil. I then did a criss cross pattern on the foam that I needed to remove, keeping my blade at the depth i needed it. I then just ran my thumb over it semi forcefully and the foam came right out at the proper depth I needed.

WuhXjCN.jpg

The rear light, which I may or may not keep where it is. But for now, I plan to just keep the rear light exactly where it is. I had to cut some grooves in the foam so that the light fixture would screw in.

W13OWEC.jpg

Then just to keep it clean. I put some foil tape over the groove. Two pieces, pressing them in on the sides. Was the necessary. No idea, but figured it be a good way to keep it clean. The foam can be quite messy and dusty. Only concern I have, is what if this creates some kind of water trap from condensation??? But it can't be any worse than it would have been normally.

YB5V2U6.jpg

And here I have 5 panels in. The last panel, I cut it slightly too short on the sides. So I inserted a small slither of left over material from one of the previous cuts, creating a wedge. And just pushed it up there. This middle one was also slightly complicated because there's a hookup for the satellite antenna. So I just but out around it. That way, if for whatever reason, i can get to that wiring.

Currently nothing is being held by glue. It's just pressed in there against/between the ribs. I plan to glue it up there when I start with the sides. Which looking at it, is going to be a lot more complicated. I'm thinking about a week going at my presence pace to get it done. So far, on these 5 panels, I've maybe spent 6 hours.

I plan to start putting in some orders, I keep changing my game plan, first I was going to get my gear, but now I plan to go ahead and get the solar panels, and a roof rack. And have that shipped in. And the fan. I really want a fan in there before I take my first trip. Being I'm guessing it'll take a week to get here. I should be ready to start installing it because I should be done with the insulation by then.

took a break for a while.

On the insulation. You do have to glue it down. As the temperature has lowered, the boards shrank slightly, enough to allow them to fall back down, at least 2 of them.

The other issue, the way the walls are on the van. I do not believe I can accomplish all the insulation using the polyiso. I'm looking into other options, possibly getting some thinsulate to use in the more difficult areas. More pricey, so trying to do as much as I can with the boards. But it's just not possible to get all of it. I might hold off and just work with what I got and see what the results are. I can always add insulation later, the way I plan to have my build for the first 6 months.

Got my roof rack coming in. Decided on the vantec version, it was like 400 bucks, for the 3 bars. I plan to just use 2x4's, paint them really well to protect them from the elements, sun and rain, and then mount the solar panels onto them.

This is definitely a big project. I've done lots of basic construction, electronics, but I definitely underestimated the amount of work required. However, it'll definitely be worth it once everything comes together. I'll post more pictures as I go along but it'll probably be another couple weeks.

Figured I'd chime in again. Been finding other stuff to do than work on the van, but I am making progress. I got a deadline of having a working prototype by the end of the year and having that deadline seems to have an impact.

On the insulation. Using polyiso board. What I'm doing now, Is just slicing the board and putting them into the crevices. Gluing it with a hot glue gun. So I'm trying to keep it all level. So I cut some chunks to fit into the crevices. Then I'll cut other chunks and shave it down on one side, to make it flush with the other boards. I always have the reflective material facing the wall of the van, meaning it's touching the metal.

That's all I've figured to do. I sat around and stared at it, trying to think of an easier way. I couldn't find one. And it's not that bad, but it is a slow process. I'd say just bring a cutting board into the van, your hot glue gun, your blade, and just sit there and do it, piece by piece.

The next thing I've done, is on all the cracks in between the boards, and mine are fairly snug, there's not a lot of room if any. I cover those cracks with HVAC tape, or that foil tape that's used for HVAC stuff.

Anyway, for others working on this. I can't find an easy way to insulate the van. It's just a process. No shortcuts. You just have to sit there and do it. Especially with this type of van absolutely nothing is square or level.

And I'm trying to keep it level because I plan to do multiple layers on the walls. I'll probably do 2 layers, and if it's level, the next layer should be a lot easier.

Got some new updates. Been real slow at this. Spent 3 days putting in the fan. I'll show some pics.

9HZoDIs.jpg

5txWrLv.jpg

tMNhYnf.jpg

zMb55hY.jpg

So I worked on this, and kept running out of daylight. How did I do it?

I decided to go with the second set of ribs facing the back, not the most rear but one up.

Why? I've heard of these vans leaking if cut all the way in the back because you cut into the connecting piece or something. Also the way my roof rack is set up, it would restrict the way the fan opened up. In this placement I can open the fan all the way. I went with the MaxxAir Fan because it has more features and I've heard better reviews and it was like 100 bucks cheaper. Got this fan for like 130 bucks or something and it has reverse exhaust on it which is something I wanted.

How did I do it.

I spent a lot of time measuring, way too much time. What it came down to, I just looked at the van and could see the spot welds. That game me a general idea. I tried to get it as equal as possible on both sides. Drilled in about 1/2 away with a small hole. Checked to make sure everything was cool by going into the van and seeing where my hole was. Then I adjusted my next hole accordingly. Then got a bigger drill bit and made the real hole, still slightly tight or close in as to not over extend the hole.

I then created my square. I then copied Bob's video, using painters tape. Also big thanks to Bob for his videos, I copied almost exactly his method and it certainly helped with my confidence in taking on this new project. Really big help for me Bob, thanks!

So squared away and everything cool, I then used my dremel tool with some metal cutting wheels on it. Wear safety googles, this is quite messy. Also with the drilling as well, safety googles. I broke a drill bit on my first go because it was super thin and i pushed too hard and it just shot off. So Using the Dremel tool, I cut into the van and took my time very slowly cutting a straight line with it, then went deeper into it until I cut all the way through.

I then discovered that my hole was too tight and my fan would not fit, I was off about 1/8 of an inch all the way around. I then spent like 2 hours grinding the opening down using a metal grinding wheel on the dremel, it's thicker than the cutting wheel. Grinded away and got it nice and flush and just big enough to easily slide the fan in and out.

I then cleaned up everything. It was quite messy with all that dust I made from the grinding tool but I kept my snap welds in place which I heard they commonly pop up using a jig saw. I just wanted to keep them intact, not the end of the world if they come up, but I heard it can make some noise and people use JB weld to attach it back. This method, everything stayed where I wanted it.

Also after grinding everything and all that. I slipped a bit on a couple of occasions rushing myself instead of taking my time. I got some paint at autozone in this pen like thing. Took that, cleaned up the area, and painted the paint on, couple coats, let it dry and did the clear coat and let that dry. That took a lot of time waiting on it to dry. Anyway, painted everything, all the scratches i made and then the inside of the cut. I don't know if it's important being it's all covered, but it was like 12 bucks for the kit, and I figured it couldn't hurt so went ahead and did it. And no, I didn't get the exact paint, I just got a basic white. It's covered, I just wanted to protect the metal.

I then used rubbing alcohol, wiped away all the mess. Put down the Butyl Tape, 2 layers in the lower points, then another layer all the way around, so 3 layers on the lower points total.

Slapped the fan in. Drilled some holes, first doing the corners. And I went in a like a zig zag pattern. 11 oclock, 5 oclock, 1 oclock, 7 oclock, etc. back and forth as I was pushing the butyl tape down. And just did that all the way around, zig zag patten.

Also, be sure the wire is tucked away and inside the van before setting it with screws. Be careful as well when laying it on the tape as that tape is sticky as can be. I just tucked the wires into the fan and made sure they wouldn't fall out. I learned this before applying the tape because I was taking it in and out quite often trying to get the hole right.

Anyway the fan is now in. I do have to seal up the screw heads and clean up the Butyl tape that is left on the sides. I plan to do that tomorrow as I ran out of sunlight again today.

I'm looking forward to now getting into the fun stuff. My plan is to have the bed in this week. I'll keep ya posted.

and yeah, my insulation keeps falling down. I plan to get some thin boards, like 6 inches in width, three of them, going from back of the van to the windshield to keep them up. The hot glue did not hold. I got the spray stuff, I might end up using that, or just seeing how it goes when I put the boards up to help hold everything. Then I plan to slide pieces of paneling in between the board. That way I don't have to be so precise trying to measure the paneling and all that, and if I need to get to wiring and all that, well it'll be super easy to get to the precise place I need to be instead of having to take the whole ceiling out. I think it'll still look cool too.

FIyPUHF.jpg

3L9iFEL.jpg

g8tAMHg.jpg

GC2ibVG.jpg

WjAMSgp.jpg

Total bed cost was like I think 40 bucks for the lumber and then maybe 35 bucks for the hardware. I used these metal L shaped connectors and screws. I feel they hold better and are more solid than using nails or only screws alone.

I got a trucker mattress for it. 30 by 80. I'm over 6 foot, so went with the 80 inch mattress. If I was under 6 foot, I would probably sleep with the mattress in the back the van like most others. I think the width of this van is 70.2 inches, which is 5 feet and 10 inches.

Things to consider...

I like how I built the bed. I kind of think that perhaps I made it too tall or too short. In that, I want to be able to sit up in the bed and I have only maybe a foot of clearance from my head to the ceiling. Which isn't a lot of room for storage compartment. So basically I'm going to have 1 foot by 6 foot by 1-2 foot of storage area that has no use or limited use. I have had raised the bed up 1 foot more, well then I would have all that storage area under the bed. I probably going to keep it like it is.

Other ideas that came up after the fact. I realize that I have slam the breaks, the mattress is more than likely going to come towards to driver area. I though about building some triangle braces on the corners of the frame the prevent this or at least make it more stable when the van is on the road.

Another idea came to mind that I think is better. I going to get some nylon strap material, heavy duty ribbon material and sew these straps into the mattress cover. I then am going to sew so snap buttons into the straps and put snap buttons on to the bed frame. Then I simply snap the mattress cover on to the bed frame. This way it should be fairly secure. And this method shouldn't poke me or whatever when I'm sitting on the edges of the bed the way the triangle brace design idea would do. So that's probably how I'm going to secure it.

Other ideas. I probably other did this bed design. It's really really really solid. I put rubber braces/foots on the 2x4 where they would bump into the van. Is that necessary? I don't know. I just figured it would make it more solid and less noisy when I was driving around. So far, it seems to be working. It doesn't seem to add any noise when I'm driving. It is quite solid.

I cleaned everything up tonight and put the mattress in the van and hung out in there for like an hour. It was nice. I did however notice how cold it got. It is currently 40 degrees Fahrenheit where I am. And so far, I have 1 inch on the roof and about 20% of the walls insulated. And I realized I need more insulation. I was fine in my light coat and jeans, but it wasn't "cozy". Which it's camping so.... but if I can make it more cozy by adding some more insulation in, I'm going to do it. So in doing that, it kind of motivated me to think about taking the insulation more seriously.

That's all I go for now. The next step is figuring out how to put the solar panels on and to build a box or frame or whatever to hold the solar charging system inside the van. Once that is done, then I can start adding in some lights and cooking stuff and all that.