Short bus vs van for boondocking?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summer

Reaction score
Hi all,
We’re finding some trouble with our bus, it’s at the mechanic now and we’re waiting on news but they’re backed up and it might be a little bit. I don’t have high hopes and the way I often cope with things is by thinking about contingency plans for the what ifs because it makes me feel safer. So I’m thinking about our alternatives if we need to go with another vehicle.
Also watching my way through Bob’s class on Skillshare, and it’s got me thinking a little bit about our choice of a bus and our plans to boondock, and what access we’ll have to what areas. I know an rv isn’t going to be able to get to where a van can, and I don’t imagine our 26 foot bus would be able to, either. Would a short bus be able to get to more places like a van would, do you think? Or would it have similar access issues to a larger bus/rv? We aren’t small people and have two dogs so the extra room of a short bus sounds nice, but being able to get into quieter areas is part of why we want to do this.

Hello,
I am in a 26 Ft shuttle bus and have never had an issue with finding a boondocking site on BLM or National Forest land. Love my bus! Plenty of room and to be able to stand up and move around is worth the down side of poor gas mpg to me.

Hi Summer. There aren't many places 2WD vans can go that I cannot- and I tow a 16' travel trailer.

There are plenty of really great places for me to boondock, and I'm super picky because I'm just learning to back with a trailer and avoid places where I might have to do some fancy backing.

That’s great to hear too! Ok, I’m starting to feel better about things, thanks all. :)