RV Furnace vs Mr Heater Buddy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please see my post about carrying a 20lb tank in the 5lb thread.

You can also sometimes find bulk propane at larger RV parks, some larger U-haul stores, farm co-op stores, and some larger outdoor stores like Cabellas, and Camping World, fuel wholesalers and distributors, and outdoor living stores that sell BBQ grills, fireplace accessories, etc.

Duckwonder, once you have a little experience you will be able to find propane refilling stations everywhere. I have no problem, and I am around very small towns all the time. almost every small town has a least one propane service station. if you see those big propane tanks outside of houses there is a supplier fairly close by. highdesertranger

tx2sturgis said:
Please see my post about carrying a 20lb tank in the 5lb thread.

You can also sometimes find bulk propane at larger RV parks, some larger U-haul stores, farm co-op stores, and some larger outdoor stores like Cabellas, and Camping World, fuel wholesalers and distributors, and outdoor living stores that sell BBQ grills, fireplace accessories, etc.

I did see your post, thank Tx.  I'm checking around on this topic.  On the way home, I mostly checked truck stops and gas stations and found many if not most to be lacking but truck stops, had more luck.  I never came near a larger U-Haul store unless I happened to be close enough to a larger city but I am aware one can get lucky with those, farm co-op stores? - how do I find them? (i'm really asking, not just complaining, lol), stayed at Cabellas a couple times and they had no propane but good to know that some do, Camping World, did not know that was an option, so bonus.  Fuel wholesalers and distributors - this was always the second place I looked after truck stops and gas stations - I got lucky on that in Driggs, Idaho and I'm sure to catch those more near larger towns.  Outdoor living stores, hmm, will keep an eye out.  Got lucky another time with a local hardware store in some town, Really lucky.  And a hardware store in my town has it.  I think maybe my route really affected the way I look at being able to get propane.  If you all say it's more readily available than I think, then that is excellent news, I really worry about it, it was a challenge.  Armed with more info now, that's sure to help.  Thanks.

highdesertranger said:
Duckwonder,  once you have a little experience you will be able to find propane refilling stations everywhere.  I have no problem,  and I am around very small towns all the time.   almost every small town has a least one propane service station.  if you see those big propane tanks outside of houses there is a supplier fairly close by.  highdesertranger

Think this may be more common out west, and you know I value your experience always HDR, but I am telling you, up north (where I am not visiting in the nearest of my future) where I would think there would be the Most availability of propane, I had quite a bit of trouble.  For now, I plan not to venture out quite as much as I did on that trip, but I was So excited, you guys can understand, it was all about Remote.  Since I plan to be out west at least for winter, and in the south, that should help.  But I need my onboard propane for the fridge, no doubt about that, so maybe I will go back and pick up that tank again.  It never hurts to listen to you guys, lol.  Thank you.

Near small towns I search for "propane nearby" using Google Maps. But before going to one of the indicated places, I call them first to make sure they refill RV cylinders. Some propane places will only exchange tanks or fill large home tanks using their tanker trucks.

And the right sort of locals all know, calling heating oil suppliers, asking at smaller gas stations, local hardware, farm supply stores etc