Mr. Heater Buddy - too hot, high propane use

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I think Bob agreed with me...in his own way... :p

The Wave 3 is the perfect size for use in a van, for moderately cool to cold winters. If you plan on parking an un-
insulated van in the Artic during the those long polar winters, it might not be enough!

(If you plan on seriously cold camping expeditions, then a Wave 6 might be the one you want.)

The Wave heaters DO need a regulator, a hose of course, and the legs only if you don't plan to mount it on a wall or cabinet. The little right-angle elbow is handy if you do plan on wall mounting it.

You can also buy an all-in-one regulator and hose that will fit the heater at one end, and the propane tank at the other end.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-57703-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HSQY0VQJHF78WN703YNS

Waves are the best. Seriously. Both my 70s era Airstreams came with built-in Waves. I'll be getting one for my van.

But I agree with HDR. Keep your space warm during the day, but turn off the heat at night. I do this even when I'm living in a house. I think it's healthier, for one thing. And there's no arguing with cheaper, either.

There's no law against turning your heater on in the morning, then jumping back into your sleeping bag to do some reading while your space heats up.

We have an older wave 3, 1500/3000BTU (about 20 yrs old) and it continues to work great. In our small 5th wheel, it does fine on low (even sub low where you turn the dial past low towards off but still have a glow) with outside temps in the 30's. On our last trip where night temps were in the low 30's down to 25, it used 10lbs of propane in 9 days. Some days, it was on for 14 hours. Never afraid to sleep with it on but we do keep a few windows cracked as well as 2 roof vents. Also have a co and propane detector. (only time I have heard the propane detector is when the dog is laying near it and is breaking wind!) :)

It is very important to keep the wave covered when not in use which we do. Dust seems to kill the thing over time. I recently pulled the forced air heater out completely since we never use it cuz it drinks propane and batteries. Will be plumbing the wave to the trailer propane bottle using the connection used by the other heater. Already have the valve installed so I just need to hook up the hose. We have been using it with a 10lb propane bottle which we also keep in the trailer when in use.

-Mike

I have been looking at the wave 3. And other ceramic heaters....I have not found one that runs on propane...they list LP gas.

Can you give me a link to where to purchase one that runs on propane?

If it must be LP gas....are there little canisters that I can purchase for it or does it require copper hookup to a larger source.

LP and propane are the same thing.

LP means Liquid Propane.

Natural Gas (sometimes stated as Nat or NG) is for home use, NOT an RV.

LP gas is a generic term, the actual composition varies by climate.

In the US, LP gas is generally propane, if there are any variations in practice, no need to worry.

As opposed to Natural Gas, which is different.

VanKitten,

The wave is not a ceramic heater. It uses a platinum catalyst similar to your catalytic converter in your car which gives nearly complete combustion. It is one of the few heaters in this class and is why it is more expensive. Don't fear it but respect it.

-Mike

How does it hook up? I have an 11lb propane tank....do it just hook up to that? If not, what do I need to buy to run it?

I ran the Mr Buddy a couple early mornings here. I don't like how wet the interior gets, and I worry about what would happen with Kitten in the RV too. Always worried for her safety....she does a "wild cat" routine that cannot be topped. I expect this aspect of "kittenhood" will mellow with time....but not before we hit the road.

While I do not plan to spend much time in areas of real winter temps... I want to be prepared.

I specifically bought a big buddy to replace my little buddy heater. Not because I wanted the extra heat, but more that I wanted the extra tank storage. I'm only doing some camping with mine, but my thinking is that in morning or night before bed, I can run the thing (on high if needed - 18,000 btu - but I can also run it at 4000 or 9000) for a very short period of time to bring temps up. The unit has a built in fan, but I have modified it with a BEC to run off 12v. I put a switch in, so that I can also still run off batteries if needed.

I read that pilot light only can put out anywhere between 600 and 1000 BTUs, so I think that I'm going to experiment with heating it up, and maybe running pilot light only with proper ventilation.

I've also purchased a 200mm pc case fan and a pwm fan controller off ebay separately and paid about 25 total for these items. I plan to run the fan on low for my roof vent in my van, and then open the side windows a crack (it's a conversion van). I think this should work pretty well, and be nearly as efficient as possible with what I have.

What do you use for heat if you live above 7k feet elevation? I did a search but did not find any info here. I live at 7k and want to camp higher. Night time temps are dipping 20's-30's this week. Daytime temps perfect for hiking.

Whether you use a Wave or a Buddy they both use propane. Buddy video says propane heaters do not work above 7k, which I've heard all along.

What do you heat and cook with winter or summer at higher elevations???

Better quality appliances offer factory adjustments, e.g. reprogramming electronic controls, different size jet orifices, for high altitudes.

For heaters Propex, see HS2211

Also diesel or gas fueled, Webasto, Espar

Olympian Wave heaters are rated for 12,000 feet. I have used mine at about 9000 feet near Red River and at 9275 feet in Wyoming and it works fine.

I have been very happy with my Olympian catalytic heater. I have a nice cover for it when I am not using it. Directly underneath of it (see floor vent below it on pic) I have a vent that allows fresh air in, the heater burns very nicely with that.  I also leave the bathroom roof vent open a little and a side window opened just a little. I have CO2 monitors, one on the floor in the center of the rig, and one directly over my head on the ceiling of the rig. I have been using this heater for years and myself and my cats have not suffered any ill effects from it.  I also believe my rig is so drafty that if I closed everything up it would still get some ventilation, however I am very careful to have ventilation when I light it up as I don't want my pets to die.

I did start using an electric bed cover as an alternative during the sleeping hours, on low even it works extremely well, I would estimate it uses 40 amp hours of power overnight. In the future I will just use the electric cover and use the catalytic heater in the evening on morning, and shut it down at sleeping time.
cat heater small.jpg

Attachments

• cat heater small.jpg
    cat heater small.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 37
Typical spot for cats and small dogs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used a Buddy at 7,500ft it worked fine. others have reported using it higher. I have used my propane stove at 10,500ft it worked fine. I have also used my propane stove at temps as low as -5. what I am trying to relate is the numbers are not set in stone. highdesertranger

At the Colorado gtg we were at 9500 ft and no one had issues with any propane appliances. At Leadville we were even higher at 10,500 ft and again no issues. That does not mean be careless, just that they can function.

tx2sturgis said:
Olympian Wave heaters are rated for 12,000 feet. I have used mine at about 9000 feet near Red River and at 9275 feet in Wyoming and it works fine.

Good to know that, since I'm leaning towards a Wave 3 anyway. I didn't understand they could be used at higher elevation. Thought all propane heaters were defunct above 7k. Thx for info!! WY, my home away from home!!

Itripper said:
I have been very happy with my Olympian catalytic heater. I have a nice cover for it when I am not using it.
I did start using an electric bed cover as an alternative during the sleeping hours, on low even it works extremely well, I would estimate it uses 40 amp hours of power overnight. In the future I will just use the electric cover and use the catalytic heater in the evening on morning, and shut it down at sleeping time.

Thanks for sharing the Olympian info. I love cats!!

jimindenver said:
At the Colorado gtg we were at 9500 ft and no one had issues with any propane appliances. At Leadville we were even higher at 10,500 ft and again no issues. That does not mean be careless, just that they can function.

Thx, Jim! I wondered what all of you did at high elev. I guess the Buddy Heater video did not reveal their heaters can work above 7k, or you have the Wave. Need to check out Bob's vids to hear how you heat your trailer. But I think you talked mostly re solar and cell phone info, your expertise. In my next lifetime, I'm getting the techie and mechanical genes! :)

Happy days to you and Max!

Used my buddy at nearly that elevation without issue.
So long as the bottle wasn't ice cold it was just fine.

Latest posts