Mr. Heater Buddy - too hot, high propane use

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleBeginnings

Reaction score
This is closely related to the other thread, but I didn't want to hijack.

I have the "Mr. Heater Buddy" model. The control has Off, Pilot, Low, and High. In my van, on a night when the forecast was 29F at 9,000', it felt like the heater was just too hot even on Low. Also, the green propane bottle (1lb I believe) lasted approximately 5 hours. Does this sound right to anybody else?

I had my MaxxFan Deluxe blowing air inward on the lowest setting, and the front windows cracked. Even still, I wished the heater had a lower setting. It's also pretty annoying to have the heater shut off at 2:30am then freeze the rest of the night!

I know "too hot" isn't very specific, but I didn't have a thermometer with me. I don't sleep still so I'm constantly moving around and losing the blankets. My throat also isn't very fond of cold air. So while I realize I could use a warm sleeping bag, my goal would be to have a nice comfortable temperature instead. 

How have other people achieved this? Has anybody achieved this with the Buddy heater? Should I by a "weaker" heater that isn't so hot and lasts longer?

For what it's worth, here are the details from Amazon: 

• 4,000- to 9,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 225 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor use; clean-burning; nearly 100-percent efficient
  • When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.
  • Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels
  • Fold-down handle; swivel-out regulator; connects to propane tank (not included).Fuel Type:propane

Yep...4000 to 9000 btu is just too much heat for a normal sized van, except in VERY cold weather.

I run my Wave 3 on low, 1500 btu, and its about right for cool to cold evenings...but during extremely cold nights, I might run it on high (3000) for maybe 15-30 minutes to warm things up.

In my old 22 ft Class A, I had a Wave 6, and low was 2000 btu and that was about right for sleeping on very cold nights.

You just have too much heat output even on low...its that simple.

Not to mention the CO emitted, but that's another reason I just don't like the Mr Buddy heaters.

NEVER sleep with an unvented propane heater going!

Really, odds of dying on night pretty high.

Get a good sleeping bag, hot water bottle, merino onesie.

Or if a real ski bum or something, invest in a proper vented parking heater, Propex, Webasto/Espar, worth every penny.

And yes in a small space Buddy is too hot.

Smaller portable units are available.

Wave catalytic very nice can turn down.

I had the same problem in my little camper but found a ceramic propane heater on Amazon with an element about 1/3 the size. It's perfect and would probably be perfect for a van. It comes with a connector to connect to a low pressure propane hose from a 20 lb or whatever size propane tank or it can use butane canisters.

The only "safe" heaters to sleep with, and even Bob mentions this somewhere, are the catalytic Wave heaters. I have a Wave 8 since my RV is 27ft with a slide and on low it will run through a 1lb bottle in about 7 hrs. 1lb bottles are only a stop-gap for me as I still haven't figured out how I want to connet my heater to propane (hoping for some insight at the RTR).

You would probably do well with the Wave 3 in a van...HoboAhle (Youtube video) got one for her van and reviewed it for that size space. I do like my Wave a lot as it is considered safe, but I do also have 2 CO detectors in the RV...one in my bedroom that isn't very accessable and one outside my bedroom. I wouldn't run an un-vented heater without one.

As far as the heat goes...you need something with less output.

Well, I guess my gut feeling was right that it was just too much heat. Somewhere along the line I had heard a recommendation for the Buddy but it is just not the right fit.

Apparently Wave is the way to go! Off to do my research!

DuneElliot said:
I still haven't figured out how I want to connet my heater to propane (hoping for some insight at the RTR).

I dont want to derail this thread, but all you need is a T-fitting (and adapter) installed somewhere close to either the RV furnace, the propane oven/range, or the hot water heater. You might also want the 'elbow' fitting for the heater input port.

Depending on where those appliances are in relation to where you want the Wave to be, will be the deciding factor.

The Wave 6 that I had was a perfect 'fit' turned sideways and mounted under the oven. Heat rising from the Wave will not bother the oven door at all, although the plastic handle might get a bit warm when running the heater on med or high. I used adhesive foil tape across the top 2 inches of the Wave safety grille to 'direct' more heat forward, and less heat upward.

Worked for me for 16 years!

:cool:

HumbleBeginnings said:
Well, I guess my gut feeling was right that it was just too much heat. Somewhere along the line I had heard a recommendation for the Buddy but it is just not the right fit.

Apparently Wave is the way to go! Off to do my research!

or just dont use the detents and turn the knob between low and pilot

Seems to me I have heard one person say they could put it on pilot once the van was warmed up.

jimindenver said:
Seems to me I have heard one person say they could put it on pilot once the van was warmed up.

Yes, this.

Many people run Mr Buddy heaters on pilot for low heat output. I understand some models will do this and others will not. I don't know which are which. Try it.

I'm going to have to give that a try. It looked about equivalent to a match flame, but maybe it will surprise me.

Another question... how many run the roof fan in the cold? On one hand, I don't want to vent my warm air out (once I get my temps under control), but on the other hand venting moisture out to prevent condensation is a high priority.

We had a very wet ceiling in the past before we installed the fan and the ceiling paneling.

Yes, especially if burning unvented, besides CO lots of water is put into the air, plus human output **requires** lots of ventilation as close to 24*7 as possible.

High output heating, while pulling up the mattress for a couple hours every day also helps.

Once mold & mildew take hold they become pernicious problems.

And condensation of panel interiors, blocked drain holes, rusts dwelling vehicles from the inside out.

tx2sturgis said:
I dont want to derail this thread, but all you need is a T-fitting (and adapter) installed somewhere close to either the RV furnace, the propane oven/range, or the hot water heater. You might also want the 'elbow' fitting for the heater input port.

Depending on where those appliances are in relation to where you want the Wave to be, will be the deciding factor.

The Wave 6 that I had was a perfect 'fit' turned sideways and mounted under the oven. Heat rising from the Wave will not bother the oven door at all, although the plastic handle might get a bit warm when running the heater on med or high. I used adhesive foil tape across the top 2 inches of the Wave safety grille to 'direct' more heat forward, and less heat upward.

Worked for me for 16 years!

:cool:

That part I had theoretically figured out. What I wasn't sure about was whether I wanted to hook to a separate propane tank than than the one my water heater and fridge use, and run the hose through the floor, or the option for doing either. I'd rather my camper was cold than my run out of propane for my fridge, but I also don't want to mess with a separate tank if I move a lot when I need propane.

Either way, I'll talk to some people more knowledgeable at the RTR. No more derailing thread.

jimindenver said:

I believe the pilot only works well. I've done it.

An automatic switchover dual regulator setup, IMO only way to go.

I only ever ran my buddy heater for long enough to get things toasty then shut her off.
It would cook you out of the van otherwise even with LOTS of ventilation.

The method I settled on was a HEAVY cast iron griddle heated up on the stove.
Then turn stove off, close vents, and let that thermal mass radiate the heat.
Prolongs the heat output and doesnt need venting once the stove is off.

Of course, I'm in arizona and cold winter nights are mid 30s typically.

Gideon33w said:
I only ever ran my buddy heater for long enough to get things toasty then shut her off.

The method I settled on was a HEAVY cast iron griddle heated up on the stove.

I've been doing the same thing with mine.  Warm it up, turn it off. 

I'm going to have to give the griddle a try.  That sounds like a really good idea!

Regards,

Pat

pnolans said:
I've been doing the same thing with mine.  Warm it up, turn it off. 

I'm going to have to give the griddle a try.  That sounds like a really good idea!

Regards,

Pat

It got pretty freakin cold here last night!  My car thermometer read 20 degrees!  

I had woken up at 5:30 and went ahead and cracked the window, and turned the Mr Buddy on high.  It was out of propane when I woke up!  
So, my trailer was chilly.  I have a zero degree sleeping bag, so I was plenty warm.  Until I got out from under the sleeping bag!  All my water but one small jug that was in the truck was frozen!  hahahahah.... 

Oh, I'm near where the Summer RTR was... on FS 518...

Don't feel bad. I am prepping for snow and 24 F tomorrow night in Denver.