Mr. Heater Buddy - too hot, high propane use

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HumbleBeginnings said:
I'm going to have to give that a try. It looked about equivalent to a match flame, but maybe it will surprise me.

I did some experimenting with it before and it was putting out some notceable heat.  About match flame size but a nice hot blue.  :)

At the time I googled up some propane info and read that propane pilot lights give off about 300-500 BTU.  

Dunno if anyone's mentioned it yet but you can also back the heater below the LOW setting so it idles along.   I don't know how to measure it but flamewise I'd say you can go 1/3rd or 1/2 lower than LOW.    I put it this way elsewhere:

you can turn the Mr. Buddy down below the LOW setting by depressing the gas knob like you are turning it off, then easing the setting back to the desired level.

Going slo-o-o-o-owly makes it easier to find the lowest spot.  Basically I back it off until the heater starts to run ragggedly then give it a bit more propane until it smooths out. 

I've done the pilot light trick and the lower-than-LOW trick next to a CO monitor and the PPM did not rise. I didn't test when running raggedly but I'd be concerned that sloppy combustion would result in more CO.  Plus it makes an annoying fluttering sound as teh flame tries to go out.

jimindenver said:
Don't feel bad. I am prepping for snow and 24 F tomorrow night in Denver.

So, if other people are even colder,  I'll feel warmer? 

I think I'll have to disagree,  Jim Bob.  

Besides,  I don't really feel BAD,  I'm just whining to try to get some sympathy.

pnolans said:
So, if other people are even colder,  I'll feel warmer? 

I think I'll have to disagree,  Jim Bob.  

Besides,  I don't really feel BAD,  I'm just whining to try to get some sympathy.

Got a little chilly up here last night too! Had the wave heater on low all night, didnt get out the big buddy, but did kick the furnace on for a while this morning.

I keep mine on pilot most of the time for the night; living up north most of my life. I am used to the winter heating situation as a kid we needed to keep the wood stove going so to me cycling the heater on for a little bit when I get cold at night feels normal.

I also have some lanterns, propane and oil lamp they are nice to moderate a little more heat and a good emergency backup.

Need to keep some airflow but don't get trapped in being so scared you freeze having too much airflow when just running the pilot light.

Just want to emphasize again, any propane or flame burning inside the living space while you are sleeping (even sleepy)

is **really** taking chances

Like FATAL.

I've had a friend die, not being a namby pamby scare mongerer here.

Find another way, *please*

A proper vented heater designed for parking overnight use is expensive yes.

If that's truly unaffordable, then just figure it out, plenty of tips here, you're not going to freeze to death while sleeping in long underwear with a proper bag, inside a van for 8 hours with a heater all set ready to turn on when you wake up.

I believe you should be able to sleep comfortably in any weather WITHOUT a heat source. the heaters are fine before bed and in the morning but I feel you must be able to get by without them. if something were to happen to the heater you must be able to survive comfortably. do whatever it takes to live comfortably without a heater. highdesertranger

I'll occasionally run my Wave at night, but despite their being NO recorded deaths attributed to their use I'm still skeptical and don't take chances.

Despite our not yet having heard of any deaths. . .

This has nothing to do with any specific brand.

Only **vented** heaters designed to run off a thermostat and well maintained,

run in conjunction with a CO (carbon monoxide) alarm, ideally also low O2 and (if propane) a gas detector,

are safe to use while sleepy/sleeping.

I doubt such a setup could be installed for much under a grand USD, unless you are super handy and buy secondhand or off-brand knockoffs.

A super-nice hydronic parking heater from Espar or Webasto for a large space, professionally installed with HWS could easily run $2000.

So for 99.9% of us, just learn to sleep without heat.

I used a Wave 6 in my RV for 16 winters, usually on LOW all night long. Yes, I popped the roof vent open just a tad to help pull in fresh oxygen from the front of the motorhome, mainly the dash vents.

The last 3 winter seasons in my van, I have used the Wave 3 on very cold nights and again with the roof vent slightly open.

The only thing a Wave catalytic heater emits is heat and moisture.

Absolutely kidding yourself and **very** irresponsible to write this in a public forum!

The catalytic process makes things burns more efficiently that is all.

Exactly the same danger from carbon monoxide as any other unvented propane device burning inside the living space.

Yes venting makes it safe.

Death comes from forgetting or dozing off, or snowfall bocking the venting, or or or

Death.

highdesertranger said:
I believe you should be able to sleep comfortably in any weather WITHOUT a heat source.  the heaters are fine before bed and in the morning but I feel you must be able to get by without them.  if something were to happen to the heater you must be able to survive comfortably.  do whatever it takes to live comfortably without a heater.  highdesertranger

I agree with this.   Before bed and in the morning.   And just train yourself .... my sleeping bags keep me almost TOO warm. ..

Pat

John61CT said:
Exactly the same danger from carbon monoxide as any other unvented propane device burning inside the living space.

The catalytic reaction happens at a much lower temperature than a flame type heater and very little carbon monoxide is produced, UNLESS, you have somehow run out of sufficient oxygen in the area.

It is very important to maintain ventilation in the heated space, and a CO detector should be in use also.

Flame type infrared heaters DO put out much more CO and that is why I don't use them....but we are all adults and make choices, such as driving on the highway.

Automobiles kill 35,000 to 40,000 Americans every year. Catalytic heaters? Probably zero or darn close to that number. Of course, if you are that ONE person, it matters a LOT!

So yeah, using common sense is expected with the use of any un-vented heater.

I'm saying don't use any unvented heat source when it gets to be time to go to bed.

Yes catalytic produces less CO.

Doesn't change my advice.

Get vented or sleep without heat, it's just not worth the risk.

In the end do what you like, just wanted to remind of the risk.

I do agree that there's risk ... Smart ways and other ways of doing things ... But some are taking things too far here ...
90% of this forum runs a "dangerous" heating setup. You don't see 90% of the users disappear from the forum each winter.
Also, so long as someone is aware of the risk it is on them from there. That's what "assuming risk" is.

I've found that as I get older things that didn't seem like a risk now affect me and now can really physically hurt. Sleeping on any thing softer than a carpet used to give me a stiff neck as I was used to sleeping on solid rock. Getting out of a sleeping bag with a layer of frost on me after a night on solid rock didn't hurt. Sleeping on a hard surface and waking up to cold surroundings can ruin my whole day so I sleep with a pad and Buddy Heater and lots of ventilation and don't have to spend my most of my day to get moving. Getting to old to be able to get up might just be worst than getting old but I seem to do just fine at getting older!

Very good points, these last two comments about risk.

I have seen lots of pictures and videos about vans and RVs with interior woodstoves and that's just not something I would do....but others have, and find great success and enjoyment with it.

We all balance risk and benefits. That is life.

I 100% disagree with John61CT.

The Olympians are 100% safe to use overnight... IF ..... you read the instructions and follow them. Specifically the amount of ventilation they require and clearances.

Rule #1: Now, let's make this absolutely clear, EVERY PROPANE BURNING DEVICE CAN KILL YOU IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are no exceptions to that. Follow the instructions and you will be safe. Break them, you can die.

If that weren't true, if you followed the instructions and you died.... that company would soon be sued out of existence by the heirs.

Be aware that the Buddy Heaters specifically say you must NOT sleep with them on. If you do, you might die. I know a lot of people who sleep with them on, but I would not. See rule #1 above.

The Olympian does NOT say that. I scoured the .pdf and there is NOT a single mention of not sleeping with it on as far as I can see.

That means one thing, they are totally safe to leave them on while you sleep.

While I don't trust the goodness of the company, I do trust the greed of sleaze-bag lawyers!!! If you follow the instructions and die while it's on in your sleep, they would have long ago been sued out of existence.

Along with Bob's line of thinking regarding litigation, the Buddy does say that it is safe for indoor use. When I use it overnight, I crack two windows and run my roof fan... that gives me my comfort level for risk mitigation. That won't work for everybody, and I get that.

Of course, since the Buddy is too freakin hot, it doesn't really work for me anyway. At least until I try the pilot-only method.

Forgive me for jumping in here, but is this the heater Bob is suggesting?
Also there are other parts listed there that go with it...

Which parts would we need to go with it?

Camco Olympian Wave-BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater by Camco Camco Olympian Wave-BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater
by Camco
Link: http://a.co/2TXZNJ2