Vintage weekend warrior

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theadyn

Reaction score
Hi all!  Been away a while, but back with a new project.  

When I joined years ago I had started with a Class C, pretty big, cumbersome, and just too much trouble to be fun.  Sold it and went with a van for a while.  Did live out of it for 6 months, gloriously houseless, went to a lot of places (even the RTR one year), had a lot of fun.  Then life happened and have been in sticks 'n bricks (okay, sticks) since then.  I've still been keeping an eye here and living vicariously through you guys.

Currently living at a home base.  Five acres in the country, been using a lot of cheap living principles to save money.  Still bucking the system while I can.  Found a home the cheapest route possible, DIY'ing a lot of it along the way, place is cheap on taxes and county zoning is very low.  We pretty much camped out in our home while working on it, so was with you guys in spirit.  :)  Kinda perfect.  Made sure we put RV outlets at electric pole so we have a place to park and power when we had electricity run out here.  But still get that itch, so I guess I will be a weekend warrior while still keeping the home base.

On to the project!  Recently acquired a '63ish canned ham for cheap.  Has one of those attic/crows nest things, making it 16', good bones, some water damage that will need repaired.  But for $300 am expecting for it to need some work.  It's been sealed.  Layout is good and I can stand in it.  There will be about 3 pieces of the beautiful birch wood needing to be replaced, along with the insulation and possibly wood behind it.  The roof and floor is sound.  Restoring it to it's former glory will cost too much, so we will be making it usable while trying to retain as much vintage as possible, and me still being as cheap as possible.  :)  

The layout is gaucho bed/couch at back, zero cushions and wood needing to be replaced.  Lovely storage under that, makes into almost full size bed.  Small kitchen with single sink, cold water only, 3 burner stove/oven.  Very small old fridge (which we already have a replacement for, gift from aunt).  Decent storage and a small pantry.  Tiny closet that a hanging shoe shelf that hangs nearly ceiling to floor fits perfectly in.  Toilet closet with toilet that needs to be mounted, but still may go with bucket toilet to avoid any black tank fun.  Dinette that makes into bed, zero cushions, decent storage underneath.  And crows nest above that pulls out for decent bed, needs wood replaced.  Eleven windows, most with the jalousy openings, most need screens redone, all need curtains.  The exterior is pretty ugly metal with very faded aqua stripe in middle, will be painted.  Someone did install a window AC under the crow's nest with a metal shelf support welded onto the tongue frame.  Two propane tanks.  The electrical in it needs work, has the old round breakers in it, buzzing when plugged in and trips breaker, will be replacing.  But it is pretty electric light, only having two plugins, 3 lights, and a fridge needing to be juiced.  Single axle, pulled very well, small enough but has about anything one would need.  There is also a wall mounted furnace that is coming out.  On the hottest days the AC cooled it off in there pretty fast, so decently insulated even with uncovered windows.  Think they just built stuff better back then, my opinion.

Already got an upgraded dinette complete set free from a relative that was ripping theirs out from their nearly new camper.  Instant upgrade.  They were also throwing out a tri-fold mattress which I've cut down and pieced together to make my own cushions for the back gaucho.  Saved $150 on just foam right there.  We ripped out the nasty carpet and was happy to find decent linoleum underneath that will stay, might throw a few rugs on it for cold floor.   

Have saved all of my van living stuff and ideas and will be using it in camper.  Kitchen stuff stocked, extra butane stove.  Mr. buddy heater for heat.  Small folding solar panel and battery packs.  Lights, chairs, etc.  All the tips and tricks for camping, food storage, keeping clean, living lean and light.   Will be pulling with husband's trusty Chevy half ton.  

The work may be slower than I'd like, but it's still fun, none the less.  Heck, knowing me I'll be camping in it in the yard, haha.  Already surrounded by nature.  And juice to boot, heck yeah. :)

This got longer than I anticipated, haha.  Sorry.  Missed you guys!!

A good towable solid frame is worth what you payed for the whole trailer. Teardrops and tiny trailers forums has a whole section on canned hams and if you are taking out the furnace you can probably sell it there. If it is a vented one without the blower I would much prefer it over the Buddy as less condensation. If you find more rot just build a foamie! They are cheap and light and you already have the fixtures.

Welcome back Pammy! Glad to hear that all is going well with you. I hope we can all meet at on the road again someday when you get your trailer finished. It sounds like a fun project!

hey Pammy, welcome back. that RTR seems like forever ago. hope all is well. we need pics of your new trailer. highdesertranger

Wow. Haven’t seen you here in forever! Where are the pics???

Thanks all.  :)  Good to see familiar faces!!!   

Well, would have preferred to wait til she had a little paint on her, cause you guys will surely think I'm nuts for being excited over this project, haha..   but here she is.  ;)

I know, I know.. I got my work cut out for me.  Will be working on it as funds allow.  Got the paint and waiting for some decent weather.   Until then, this is the before.  Did manage to snag some interior pics before's, but they're still on the phone.

Good to see you all!  Maybe one day I'll make it back to the RTR again.  :D

Attachments

• canned ham.jpg
    canned ham.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 26
That’s certainly is a classic. I wonder why did they make that little loft in the front it would seem that rounding it off would be so much better for the eye and airflow. It almost seems like that was added there as an afterthought. Am I missing something? is there something up near your hitch that Makes that more functional? Maybe I need to see other views. Anyhow it’s a nice old trailer and a great project for somebody who has the strength and money. It will turn out well.

You have a classic there. Be sure before you change too much you don’t want to restore it as they are bring pretty good money nowadays. Just make sure you get to enjoy it!

Love those!!! Please don’t change too much if possible. They are worth much more the closer to original too.

Thanks all!  :)

Lovingly named her Ethel, after my dear grandma who got me loving home on wheels when I was young.  Ethel will be getting her exterior painted white with a colonial red stripe down her middle.  Briefly considered polishing up her metal, but alas there are way too many little hail dents and white would somewhat camouflage it better than polished metal.  

For sure will be trying to maintain as much original in her as possible.  The inside has that old world charm in her with that beautiful birch glossed panels, will be replacing those to keep the same look.  Haven't yet tested the oven/stove or the plumbing for the sink, but if they are working properly they will stay, even with their dated color.  The small fridge has not been tested, yet, either.  I really need to get that breaker box replaced so we can really test the electric in her, for now we are running an extension cord through the window.  But if the fridge doesn't work the replacement fridge I already have has the retro look and is also red, going with the stripe outside.   There may be a few places we put paint, mainly the toilet closet.  It didn't have that beautiful birch and some moron just spray painted it, will need to be repainted, probably same red as exterior used.  They also got a few places randomly on some of the good birch panels, which will be sanded and finished.  

I am also unsure why they did that extra sleeping loft out front.  But I do know the grandson already loves it, has claimed it as 'his space', haha.  

All in all I feel we stole it for $300.  Just 2 days ago my parents went to view a vintage for $1500 in hopes of restoring and selling, they said it was in terrible shape, ours was 100x better as-is.  There's definitely a market for it, it seems.  

Next few days I hope to be getting the dinette switched out.  The table that is there now is old and cracked and tilted, the new one will be a huge upgrade, even if it doesn't have that vintage feel.  I'm hoping the charm of the rest of it will outweigh that small sacrifice.  Also want to look at stamped feed bags as possible curtains, got to make seven of them.  And have to hunt down some batting, material, and wood backing for the gaucho bed.  Some good projects coming up.  :)

nature lover said:
That’s certainly is a classic.  I wonder why did they make that little loft in the front.

I think back in those days they were mostly towed by cars and that loft hanging over the trunk gave a little more usable space.

Makes the upper bunk wider while making it easier to sit down below it. The upper bunk was always intended for use by children or for storing things like the bedding.

It worked fine extended over a pickup, station wagon or sedan. Lots of families had station wagons back then.

I was at an antique car and farm equipment show a year ago and saw a couple of old Canned Ham trailers being towed by vintage restored cars.  They drew loads of attention from the crowd.

Now if you found an old  antique car that could be restored with some small amount of work you could have a real rig going.   :cool:

I can understand the loft for extra space or children sleeping. But I don’t understand is why they put something like that which ruins the arrow dynamics of the canNed shape. I guess when that thing was built gasoline was $.30 a gallon But wages were low too. Since my rig gobbles gas I think Of fuel mileage often. God bless the nomads and keep the price of gas down

Nobody cared about gas mileage in the 1950s and early 1960s. I bought gasoline in Texas as late as 1971 during a gas war between two different independent stations for $.19 a gallon. Filled my Datsun pickup for less than $2 that I had just picked up new from the dealership for $1,875. Yes I was making $1.25 an hour and now minimum wage is 8 times that so I should be able to buy a Nissan truck for $15,000 by that logic. I imagine that trailer sold new for not much more than they paid for it, way less than $1,000 and now should be $8,000 by that same logic but unfortunately it would cost twice that much I bet if not more. Restored what that trailer brings might surprise you.