Help me decide on a heater?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming you have a spot you can squat on for unlimited time and access to lots of wood. To much like work for me but good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

I bit the bullet and got a Dickinson Marine Propane direct vent heater. Doesn't add to condensation problem, low energy use, propane and electric (fan) and low maintenance. LOT more initial cost but is a quality product with good customer service and in ten years I should still be able to get a sizeable part of the initial cost back in resell if I choose.

I actually have a diesel truck but passed on the bunk heaters.

One guideline I've tried to follow is to carry no more than two types of fuel so I'm sticking with diesel and propane as I have a dual fuel generator as well.

There is always wood to find, I grew up in the Appalachian mountains, lots of fallen wood around.
Anywhere else is wood pallets behind stores, ask first. Char Coal, old wood furnishings set out for
trash, and a good sharp hatchet.

I know you can not find legal wood in the desert, but you have to pass through a town or two to get there.
It is just another alternative. Either way I got to remember to open a window.

I've narrowed my choices down to a Propex propane heater ($720) and a Wave 3 ($180). I'm leaning toward the Propex in case I'm in the Pac NW during winter, for holidays and stuff.

I want something where I can set the temp at 68 and can leave on at night. I don't think the Wave 3 does this.

I wouldn't leave any non-vented propane heater on all night. Whatever you end up getting, don't forget the three safety items, co, propane and smoke detectors.

I do. Of course this is the back and forth nature of forums. 

If you provide some ventilation the Wave 3 is safe to leave on all night while sleeping.

I've used the Wave 3 and the Wave 6 over 19 winters now in campers, vans, RVs and trailers. 

I aint dead yet. Of course I have super-powers. YMMV. Batteries not included. Professional driver on Closed Course. Do not try this at home.

Jim and anybody else, an FYI. even the possession of pallets in the California Desert will get you a ticket. also some pallets are treated you don't want to burn those anywhere not even outdoors. also in California in some areas glass containers are prohibited from beer in bottles to pickle jars. just a couple of the many laws in California. highdesertranger

It amazes me how much store bought firewood at $6 for six or so pieces gets left in our developed campground. Some of the locals here drive around on monday morning and pick it up and are able to heat their houses all winter. I never thought that would be possible without a chain saw and splitter. Blm sells permits for collecting dead downed wood I believe for $20 if you do carry a saw.

Rojo Zoso said:
I've narrowed my choices down to a Propex propane heater ($720) and a Wave 3 ($180). I'm leaning toward the Propex in case I'm in the Pac NW during winter, for holidays and stuff.

I want something where I can set the temp at 68 and can leave on at night. I don't think the Wave 3 does this.

Have you looked at the Suburban furnaces?

You can use them with a thermostat.

https://suburbanrvparts.com/furnaces/suburban-rv-ntq-series/

The SEQ models are $354 (16K btu) and $389 (19K btu) on Amazon.

I know someone that has used the 19K (NT-20SEQ) model for a couple of years now and hasn't had any problems.

Have you considered getting a big dog for a bunk mate? Make sure it does not snore and be careful what you feed it !

81YJ35PP0bL._SX425_.jpg

I've been using one of these for 5 years. Perfect size for my little camper. $30 to $50 on Amazon.

Attachments

• 81YJ35PP0bL._SX425_.jpg
    81YJ35PP0bL._SX425_.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 20
I have one of them. Theres 2 kinds. One takes only butane and the other is dual fuel. The dual fuel is getting hard to find.

hugemoth said:
I've been using one of these for 5 years. Perfect size for my little camper. $30 to $50 on Amazon.

What's it called?

gwave said:
What's it called?

This one is:

IOOkME-H Portable Butane Gas Heater Outdoor Patio Ceramic Burner Gas Stove with Handle for RV Travel Fishing Camping Climbing

Search for emergency butane heater or butane heater.

After reading through this thread and noting that several nomads had their rigs burn to the ground, I'm more determined than ever to try to do this without any kind of propane or butane heater. I don't want to carry that... and really, I have a big van, but not so big that it wouldn't heat nicely if I got out of my nice warm sleeping bag and boiled some water for coffee on an electric cooker. An alternative is to turn on my van for ten minutes to get the heat. I've already done that. So far, haven't been in any excessively cold climates since it is summer, but I do plan to be a snowbird.

the number one cause of RV Fires by far is the propane refrigerator. highdesertranger

I decided on a Chinese diesel heater. I might get the little busy just to have around too.

I am still a little hesitant to have a diesel tank in the van but other people do it so godamn right I'm jumping off the bridge.

Congrats on purchase! Please keep us updated on your feedback and experience.

I generally use a little electric heater 400w/800w running from my portable generator to warm up my van before bed, but turn both off before I go to sleep. Generally I don't use any heat while sleeping since I've got a nice heavy sleeping bag. Wanted to give diesel a try, since winter is coming.

gwave said:
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll be going back through them all when I have a bit more time to digest it all.

A few things:
-
- Crowdsourcing this type of thing isn't the best move, I know, but kicking it around in my head isn't helping either. I wanted to hear from some experts. 

If you want to hear from experts then coming to a forum that was primarily intended as a gathering place for newbies to get together and learn and share will be rather frustrating. What you will hear from people is how they did it for themselves. But doing it one time in your own nomadic living space does not mean that person has expertise. But what they do have is a lot of second hand knowledge gained by reading about what others have done, what they found on the internet, what they watched on youtube.  But as far as experts, they are not here, they are busy working in their full times jobs where they sell and install the kind of equipment that is used for heating. Usually they are only "expert" in the products they represent and/or install. But those experts are not out on the road living in an old van they have renovated. They are not hanging out in this forum either. If you want to talk to experts then you have to contact them at their places of business.

Latest posts