rough roads and terrain.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinker

Reaction score
this has come up in a few varied places here and some recently/ i've been concerned about it for a while and just yesterday saw a winch on a jeep [a rare sight here] so i thought i'd address it in a dedicated thread.<br /><br />i know bob recommends a 4x4, but that compromises space and fuel efficiency,<br />many feel low tops are better for clearance, but space again becomes an issue.<br />i've not read about anyone here using winches but does anyone have experience with them?<br />what compromises has anyone made to get out to the rough?<br />has anyone been able to find a middle ground between a stealth life and an off road one?<br />what about laws regarding moving natural items such as fallen logs or boulders?<br />anyone ever dared bridging a ditch?<br /><br />this could actually be a pretty cool discussion.

<p>I've got a 4x4 Toyota Tundra 1/2 ton pickup with a Warn winch on the front. Haven't had to use it yet, but it's there in case I need it. Sometimes all you need is just a short pull with the winch to get you to solid ground when stuck. I carry along some metal stakes, chain&nbsp;and small sledge hammer to make an anchor to tie to if no trees or rocks available.&nbsp;</p>