Receipt for homemade "baby" wipes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
I just found this in a 24yr old issue of a magazine.  I have not tried this.

Mix 1 tablespoon of baby oil and 1 of baby lotion into 1/2 cup of water { I think warm water would make it mix better}       Place paper napkins in old baby wipes container and saturate napkins.

I think a plastic container { the same size as your napkins } with a snap on lid would work also.  That way you'd have a container that your napkins would fit right into.

I wonder how many "wipes" we could get out of a bottle of each from Dollar Tree?

Break's over & back to work.........  Get Up Queenie!   :D  Lazy Ol' Thing

Jewellann

I did this when my son was in diapers. Works just fine.

1Tbsp Dr. Bronners
1Tbsp mineral oil
1 Tbsp rubbing alcohol

Use high quality paper towels like half sheet Bounty. (Paper towels is one of the few things that price REALLY does matter)
Cut the roll in half with an electric carving knife and carefully remove the cardboard tube.

Store in a round plastic container like a Tupperware. Pull the wipes out from the center of the roll.

A bit more elaborate in terms of ingredients, but Wellness Mama has a wonderful 'recipe' that is very gentle and smells oh-so-pleasant

https://wellnessmama.com/1459/homemade-baby-wipes/

The older I get, the more I drift back to using products my parents/grandparents used -- baking soda, witch hazel, castille soap, white vinegar, borax....

I would think the mineral oil in this recipe would not mix into the water without some emulsifying agent.. Drop of Dawn?

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
1Tbsp Dr. Bronners

Cut the roll in half with an electric carving knife and carefully remove the cardboard tube.

Store in a round plastic container like a Tupperware. Pull the wipes out from the center of the roll.

Please tell me what is Dr. Bronners?   Would this be a good receipt for a personal hygiene wipe? Do you have on for those?  Good tip on using the electric knife.

Jewellann

TMG51 said:
I would think the mineral oil in this recipe would not mix into the water without some emulsifying agent.. Drop of Dawn?

The castile soap (I like Dr Bronners ... and the bottles are hoot!) helps in that way. I used this basic recipe for 2 maybe 3 years and never had any problems. All of the liquid should soak in to the paper towels. 

Baby oil is just mineral oil wit scent added.

Dawn would work I suppose but I would just use that and nothing else.

Finding a good container can be hard but worthwhile if you do this long term.

The electric carving knife worked better than anything else I tried.

I can not stress this enough USE QUALITY PAPER TWOELS. 20+ years ago Consumer Reports did one of their studies on paper towels and found that Bounty really are the best there is. Cheap store brand paper towels and especially napkins will fall to pieces and even simply disintegrate in the solution.

If you get the original peppermint Dr.Bronners, be aware that it can be somewhat "freshening" on female privates. Be sure to dilute it well.
Ted