Well, it's a start!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluegoatwoods

Reaction score
A modest start?  Yesss...but I'm proud of myself anyway! :)

Who knew you could make a decent sleeper out of one of these?

generic Impala.jpg
Of course.......there's bound to be plenty of folks here who already knew this.  But I didn't know it.  Until I realized, a few weeks back, that removing the rear seat is no big deal at all. That's when I knew what I had to do.

The first pattern for the deck of the bed was cardboard.  I didn't think to get photos of that.  But I'm sure you get the idea.

I used some of that cheap 'chipboard' imitation plywood (OSB, I think?). 
Fitted OSB view through trunk.jpg 
Fitted OSB view through side door.jpg

I might regret the poor material.  But it was half the cost of genuine plywood of the same thickness.  More than that, though, I can afford to be a bit careless with my first rig.  I expect errors and it's only meant to last a year or two while we decide what we really want.

To avoid dealing with splintery chipboard, I 'upholstered' it.

1/2 inch foam mattress topper.
OSB and foam fit-up.jpg

cheap brown tarp.
OSB foam tarp and staples.jpg
Completed and viewed thru trunk.jpg
Completed and viewed thru side door.jpg
Above is not meant to be the actual sleeping surface.  But 4 to 6 inches of memory foam covered with a blanket or cheap comforter, tucked in around the corners and edges, ought to make a good mattress.  Keeping all that clean shouldn't be too much trouble.

For privacy I simply cut up more tarp.
Privacy curtain fit-up.jpg

I'll put a series of suction cups on it and stick it to the windows on the inside.  I'm pondering whether or not to insulate the curtains.  I have leftover foam.  But that might start getting bulky.  We have heat, after all, and we'll be avoiding 'heart of winter' type conditions.  Plus this is not meant to be regular sleeping quarters.  It's for emergencies or very bad weather when we're actually camped.  Or for simply grabbing a quick sleep when we're travelling and not at an actual destination.  Still, a single could be pretty comfortable living in something like this. 

I brought my wife out when it was finished and we tried lying down side by side.  It was roomier than I'd feared it would be.  All the same, we wouldn't choose to sleep in this every night of our lives.  Though, once again, this would be more than enough bed for a single.

My wife surprised me in one way with this.  To make the irony clear, I'll need to give a bit of background info.  It'll only take 45 minutes....... maybe an hour..........of your time.  Tops!....I promise!

(It won't take that long.  But be warned: I'm long-winded)

You see.....I'm a tinkerer at heart.  I'm a mickey mouse engineer.  Yup, I tore things apart as a kid.  Not to see how they worked.  To see how strong they were. 

I'm a "hacker" in the pre-digital age sense: I really don't know what I'm doing.  But I'm gonna stick my neck out and do it anyway. 

I've had amusing failures.  One comes to mind off-hand that was positively dangerous.....but never mind.  I've also had successes.  And my batting average has improved as I've aged and learned.

My home has quite a bit of my engineering in it.  I've gotten to be pretty good with lighting and electricity in particular.  I've hooked up 3-phase circuits.  Not in my home, of course. No need for it there.  But I've worked with them.  I understand their purpose, or advantage, over single phase circuits.  I understand perfectly well just why it is that the potential difference is 208 Volts instead of 240.  Assuming 120 Volt poles, that is. What I'm getting at here is that household electrical circuits are child's play to me. I've designed, and installed, some pretty complex circuitry.  It works well. My lighting includes plenty of spots and plenty of washes to highlight pictures on the walls, for instance. I'm willing and able to split voltages if that's desirable. 

The people who know almost nothing except, "You can't do that!" are smugly and schadenfreude-ally certain that I'm sure to burn my house down sooner or later.  (Vandwellers? Ever have experience with people like that?  If they come find you out in the desert, please let me know.  I'll have to make plans for that.)

Insurance adjustors and code enforcement officers would probably have me led out of here in handcuffs.  I don't invite them in.  And they're wrong anyway.  It's true that I don't follow their conventions.  But there's nothing unsafe about my circuits.  I have a very, very good understanding of just what a warming electrical conductor can do in an old, bone-dry stick-built house.  I know how much power a conductor of a particular gauge can take and my circuits stop short of that limit.  I protect my cables from mechanical damage and I give them as much air space as possible. That turns out to be quite a bit when you put a little thought and effort into it.  

Our shower could use a little polishing and a few components replaced in order to actually look good.  But it would knock you right on your butt if it didn't spray at you from two opposite directions.  But you can also have a soft, yet still saturating, spray from one or both directions if you want.  And the adjustments are easy; mere quarter-turn valves.  The only limit is the 40 gal water heater.  I might have put a second one in in parallel long ago if it weren't for the fact that my wife and kids would then use 500 gallons a day.

Years ago I supported our second floor near the stairway using an arch that I made from cantilevered 2x4s.  It's hard to explain on paper, but it curved in a direction seperate from the arch itself. Imagine you were looking directly down on it from the second floor.  It would exist on more than one plane.  It would have an X and a Y axis from that perspective.  

From the kitchen it actually looked more like an A frame than anything else.  But from my favorite sitting position in the 'den' it had such a graceful curve. I loved it. But my wife mistrusted it.  She had no reason to.  It's not that she knows anything about small house structures.  So one time when I was out on the road she brought in this young general contractor wannabee.  (To be fair, the kid ain't too bad......but....) She had him rip it out and replace it with a couple of 2X8s nailed together.

The point of this long spiel? I'm an obsessed DIY'er.  (Possessed by the spirit of DIY?.....hmmm.......that might describe it)

One flaw in my engineering is that my 'finishes' are not even remotely close to the finish you'd get from high-end designers and contractors.  It's mostly not fancy.  I'm not interested in that.  My stuff has a boiler-plate look.  I've gotten a bit better with time.  But it'll never be my strength.

And I'm afraid this embarrasses my wife.  She's ashamed of all of these things that are easily recognized as home-made.  Though the balance has shifted more in my favor over the years, the fact is that she's disapproved of my projects more than she's approved.

So I don't give her advance warning of anything.  I wait until she leaves and then get started.  By the time she gets back I've usually gone too far to turn back.  Then I put up with several hours, often more than 24 hours, of her anger.

To be clear, we don't fight physically and I'm sure we never will.  But she can really let me have it  with that big mouth of hers.

And she does. Oooohhh.... I'm trembling right now as I think about it.  It's okay.......I'll get it together.........Okay.....we're good.......

So.....anyway.........this sleeper Chevy above.  I'd almost forgotten about it:)

That's how I did this one.  I waited until she'd gone and I got to work.  I didn't really expect to be hated on for three days.  But one never really does know.......

When she perceived what I'd done, she thanked  me.  I wondered if it was some sort of set-up.

But she's given plenty of verbal support to the idea of going nomad.  Maybe she's really on board with it.

I hope she doesn't leave without me.....

Attachments

• generic Impala.jpg
    generic Impala.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Fitted OSB view through trunk.jpg
    Fitted OSB view through trunk.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • Fitted OSB view through side door.jpg
    Fitted OSB view through side door.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • OSB and foam fit-up.jpg
    OSB and foam fit-up.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • OSB foam tarp and staples.jpg
    OSB foam tarp and staples.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • Completed and viewed thru trunk.jpg
    Completed and viewed thru trunk.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • Completed and viewed thru side door.jpg
    Completed and viewed thru side door.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • Privacy curtain fit-up.jpg
    Privacy curtain fit-up.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
Sounds good. I would not think about pulling the rear seat to extend into the trunk.

Get ready for a flood of posts about using OSB inside.

"Get ready for a flood of posts about using OSB inside."

Yeah. I'm already a little bit embarrassed about that. I don't even like the stuff. What was I thinking?

But......next time I'll use better materials.

So cool you are doing what works for you. Every time you do that you learn and grow and are accomplishing such great movement forward in your journey. Rock on!!!!

dawnann7 said:
What a great story! I'm a bit of a hacker, too. I want to hear the story about the "positively dangerous" failure!

Thank you, dawnann7.  

I suppose I could have included that story in the original post.  I guess I steered away because I didn't want to ramble too much.  But that was kinda silly since I often ramble on purpose.  It can often be good for a small laugh or two.

This must have been twenty years ago.  A neighbor had given me a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine.  I didn't need it for a lawn mower so I pondered what other sort of use I might put it to.  It didn't take me long to come up with every kid's childhood dream: I'd mount it on a bicycle.

Since this was a four stroke engine with a vertical drive shaft it seemed clear that the drive turning against the side of the tire was the way to connect a 'drive train' together and I decided to mount it over the front wheel since that would be more roomy than the rear wheel. 

I don't recall if I did any serious calculations.  Maybe I only saw it intuitively; the one inch drive shaft against a wheel with a 13 inch radius was going to be a poor ratio.  So I attached a plastic lawn mower wheel to the end of the drive shaft.  I'm trying to remember just how I 'fixed' it so that it wouldn't just spin, but I'm drawing a blank.  In order to give the smooth plastic wheel some friction against the bicycle tire I cut a section of old bicycle tire, wrapped it around the lawn mower wheel and screwed it into the plastic tread using wood screws.  It was pretty crude and funny looking.

So now I needed a clutch.  And I couldn't see any way around the idea that this 'clutch' must move the drive shaft away from the tire when needed and to push it up against the tire when needed.  So I built a small wooden frame for the engine to sit on and I attached a rear rack, facing backward and modified to bolt on, to the front axle and fork head of the bicycle.

I bolted the engine frame to the cargo rack at only one point, in a corner of each and I attached a handle, maybe 18 inches, to the engine rack.  And that was my drive train connect/disconnect. Push the handle forward to engage and pull it back to disengage.  I also remember there was a bungee cord involved. Probably to help hold the drive train engaged. 

When I was reasonably certain that I could engage/disengage that friction drive, then I decided to test drive the thing.  But I didn't look ahead to the right place to do this.  I was at the top of my driveway, right where it opens up into the back yard.

It's downhill from there to the road.  Perhaps forty feet horizontal and six to eight feet vertical.  Not huge, but downhill nonetheless.  An early Camaro or Mustang would have trouble climbing it in snow. The road is narrow; two cars can not pass each other. Then it plunges into a ravine and that's quite a drop.

(Come to think of it; it's not that this bike was such a dangerous failure.  My lack of foresight surely contributed to the danger...but, anyway....)

I started up the engine and, when all seemed well, I engaged the drive and the bike took off like a bat out of hell.  There's much about that little ride that I really don't remember clearly.  In my memory I was holding onto the handlebars and riding, cartoon fashion, with my feet and legs flapping in the breeze behind.  But that can't be right.  The bike would have just leaped out of my hands.  Clearly I was sitting on the seat.

I also don't remember if I got that bike stopped by sheer brake power or not.  Not likely.  I kinda think I was frantically trying to reach my 'clutch' lever.  It all happened very, very fast.  But I did get stopped before going over the deep plunge.  And one thing is clear in my memory. I got stopped, the engine RPMs went up and then I heard my tire going, "Whooooosshhhh" and it flattened.

But I didn't care.  I pushed that thing back up into the yard and leaned it against the fence and went inside.  That ravine isn't quite a cliff.  But it would have been plenty close enough if that bike had flung me over it.  With the horizontal velocity I'd have had, I think a 50 foot vertical drop was in store for me.  Although I'd have surely hit a tree or two.  Maybe they'd have softened the blow.

I didn't bother replacing the tire.  That bike just sat against the fence for the longest time.  I guess I wasn't literally scared to approach it.  I just didn't know what I was going to do with it.  I sure as hell wasn't going to ride it.  That's for sure.

I know I eventually removed that engine, even if I don't remember actually doing it.  I don't know what I did with the engine. I never used it for anything.  

My oldest daughter nearly flung herself over the edge of the same ravine about ten years ago on a more successful motorized bicycle I'd built.  And she has not ridden one since.  A few years back I coaxed her into riding a little Honda motorscooter a bit.  And she came close to being competent and she came close to enjoying it.  But she doesn't crave it.

My youngest daughter has never, to my recollection, been traumatized by some of these two-wheeled demons.  And I taught her to ride motorscooters in the 150 cc range succesfully.  She's good.  And then she wanted more.  A motorcycle.  I'd created a monster.  Not because she wanted a motorcycle.  But because she now looks down on scooters.

So I bought her a Yamaha V-Star 250.  I actually don't say that much around people here who we actually know because I don't want to diminish her sense of pride.

But I'm also kind of proud of myself for doing it.  So I went ahead and indulged that here.

They pack quite a bit of motorcycle into 250 cc these days.  My experience with them was with old upright twins of the Triumph or XS-650 variety.  I'd had a Yamaha XS 850 once upon a time.  Great bike.  Though it had a different engine and drive train, it had a 'stance' pretty similar to the upright twins.

When I first rode my daughter's V-star I pulled away from the stop, picked my feet up and placed them where (I thought) the pegs should be.  And I very nearly put my feet on the ground.  I looked it all over and said to myself, "The pegs are way up there???" 

I also found shifting in a semi-reclining position took some getting used to.

And now I've remembered one small laugh involving my youngest.

When she was fresh out of high school her first job was of the entry-level sort plus hard work: hotel housekeeping. (Don't worry. She's done noteably better since.)

I gave her a motorized bicycle, which I'd ridden successfully quite a bit, to get to and from work on. I taught her a good deal of maintenance and repair and she was a good student. We were working schedules at that time that got me home quite a bit later than she.

On day I came home and saw her bike sitting there with the rear wheel removed, which included both pedal and motor chains and sprockets hence a fairly big production, and the rear hub partly dis-assembled.

So I go inside wondering what had gone wrong. I found her on the sofa, deeply asleep. She was lying on her back with her upper arms at her sides and her elbows bent. Her lower arms were folded upward with her hands near her chin. Imagine her holding a steering wheel. That's about it.

Her hands and forearms, right up to the elbows, were so grease covered you almost couldn't see the skin. I woke her up and asked what was wrong with her bike. She said, "It's not that there's something wrong. But if felt like the bearings needed some adjustment. So I got started until I realized that you had the cone wrenches".

Obviously she'd decided to stretch out when she realized she needed to wait form me. The poor thing was so exhausted from her job that she couldn't get up the strength to wash up and she passed out, pretty deeply, the moment she laid back.

But she still attempted to adjust those bearings simply because it seemed like maybe that had better be done.

I'm still kind of proud of her for that. I've been similarly responsible toward some of my machinery all sorts of times. But there've been all sorts of times I've flaked out on that as well.

My wife and I (when we were a young 23 years old) used to pull our small 16' boat with a 1985 Jeep CJ. We would drop the tailgate, and flip the seats forward, and sleep in the back of the Jeep, under the stars in warm weather. We then bought a 1980 full sized Bronco, that we did the same thing in.

We really stepped up our game when we bought a 1987 Dodge Caravan that had the short wheelbase, and a 4 cyl, 5 speed. We could inflate a full sized air mattress in the back of the van, and sleep with the doors shut.

I like your ingenuity for your car rig, and hopefully will be comfortable while still being stealthy.

Yes, indeed I recognize you for who you are. The invention end of things intrigues you. Then you do just enough work to prove that the concept works because that is what is of most interest to you. But you will never have the patience to be a professional at any of the tasks needed to create a great looking end product. The personnel mangers call it a "quick start" personality, lots of fire at the start of a project but the fuel quickly runs out.

Of course some people are such perfectionist that they too never get a project finished.

The world continues to go round and round and time continues to pass and new ideas continue to replace old ones and people continue to think their ideas have never been done before then they discover that others have already thought of it and done it before they did. And of course someone, somewhere, in a forum will tell them how they should/could, ought to, have done it. Spouses and other family will keep on saying...why did you do THAT???? To which one can honestly answer...it seemed like a good idea at the time and maybe it was..or maybe not.

But then there is get it done and it is good enough for now. That works perfectly well in many situations unless you live with a perfectionist in which case your project will drive them around the bend by being offensive to their sense of aesthetics.

Yes, indeed I recognize you for who you are. The invention end of things intrigues you. Then you do just enough work to prove that the concept works because that is what is of most interest to you. But you will never have the patience to be a professional at any of the tasks needed to create a great looking end product. The personnel mangers call it a "quick start" personality, lots of fire at the start of a project but the fuel quickly runs out.

Of course some people are such perfectionist that they too never get a project finished.

The world continues to go round and round and time continues to pass and new ideas continue to replace old ones and people continue to think their ideas have never been done before then they discover that others have already thought of it and done it before they did. And of course someone, somewhere, in a forum will tell them how they should/could, ought to, have done it. Spouses and other family will keep on saying...why did you do THAT???? To which one can honestly answer...it seemed like a good idea at the time and maybe it was..or maybe not.

But then there is get it done and it is good enough for now. That works perfectly well in many situations unless you live with a perfectionist in which case your project will drive them around the bend by being offensive to their sense of aesthetics.
My response to perfectionists is: perfection doesn't exist in this world. "Perfection is the enemy of GOOD ENOUGH."