Propane tank sweating

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
The propane tank in my van is sweating when not in use.  I haven't used it in weeks and today I noticed it.  I'm in Alabama where the humidity never drops below 80%.  Is this normal?  I cannot find a leak.

JRRNeiklot said:
The propane tank in my van is sweating when not in use.  I haven't used it in weeks and today I noticed it.  I'm in Alabama where the humidity never drops below 80%.  Is this normal?  I cannot find a leak.

Check the temperature of your tank. Most likely, your tank is about 10 to 20 degrees cooler than ambient temperature. Other reason for propane tank to sweat is when in use toward when it's emptying out.

Sandhog said:
Check the temperature of your tank. Most likely, your tank is about 10 to 20 degrees cooler than ambient temperature. Other reason for propane tank to sweat is when in use toward when it's emptying out.

Yes, it's a good deal cooler than the temperature inside the van.

And will get downright cold when being drawn at a high rate.

In situations where this is an actual problem, going to a larger tank size helps, or going with a horizontal design to increase the liquid surface area.

John61CT said:
And will get downright cold when being drawn at a high rate.

In situations where this is an actual problem, going to a larger tank size helps, or going with a horizontal design to increase the liquid surface area.

I haven't used the tank since sticking it in my van.  It's sweating or condensating when not in use.  I know it sill condensate or even build up frost when in use. It's a 20 pound tank.

Don't worry be happy.

Long as you regularly check everything for leakages

If the ambient humidity is 80%, your tank is basically acting like a condenser. Your tank is cooler than the air, so when the moisture in the air contacts the surface of the tank, the water that is in vapor form in the air liquifies.

It's condensation. Nothing to worry about, as long as you have checked for leaks and nothing is leaking.

The Dire Wolfess

JRRNeiklot said:

An LP tank may sweat like this, even if propane is not being drawn from it, if ambient temperatures or humidity levels are changing. If, for example, the LP tank (or any object for that matter) cools off during the night, then when ambient air temps or humidity increase during the day, condensation will form on the tank exterior. Just like a bottle of beer taken from the fridge on a humid day.

Generally, this won't harm anything, unless the moisture is dripping down and damaging the floor or cabinet interior. If so, just buy a cheap shallow plastic bowl to serve as a drip tray beneath the tank; be sure to empty/clean this tray periodically.

It got a little chilly last night and was up to 87 today. I'm going to check it again for leaks. Just didn't want to light my stove and turn my van into a fireball. Thanks y'all!

If unused, the tank will be ambient temperature. If it is leaking or venting extra pressure it will get cold. Weigh it on a bathroom scale see if it is loosing propane.

Thermal mass plus indoors means significant time lag from ambient air temp changes.

Plus condensation on metal

I just checked for leaks. It has none that I can tell. It still feels full and it's been in the van since March.