Building A Propane System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an update. I decided to completely scrap the corrugated stainless steel idea. I personally think it would make a good installation, but I can’t get any confirmation on it being legal in a moving vehicle. There is very little mention of it for that purpose on the net.

So now I’m planning on using soft copper tubing with a polyethylene jacket. It’s more difficult to install, but should be reliable.

If I was me, I would visit
https://lifestylepropane.com/...or similar.
I would hire them to fabricate a legit propane system.
I would go into the fabrication shop with the technician, and I would watch-n-learn as they build my system.
But a custom job may not be necessary.
In the
https://lifestylepropane.com...showroom, they stock dozens of sizes of dozens of types of flexible hose.
I have no way to prove it, but I think -- in a vehicle -- copper will eventually fracture at the couplers.
Hence, my decision to go with flexible hose.
An aside:
For the reasons you express, we engineered our ExpeditionVehicle with standard COTS (Commercial Off-The-Shelf) camping equipment, including twenty-pound five-gallon propane bottles.
We use easy-to-use easy-to-find easy-to-replace manufactured rubber hose -- Coleman, Mr. Buddy, Ozark Trail, etcetera -- available at most hardware stores.
An aside:
We always park and travel with the valves 'CLOSED' on the propane bottles.
Cooking:
Nearing the end of our fixing a hot meal, we 'CLOSE' the valve on the propane bottle.
We finish cooking using the gas inside the hose.
We can usually time it for the end of cooking at about the time the burner sputters out.
Heating:
We use our Use-The-Gas-In-The-Hose® system with our Wave 3 catalytic heater.
Nearing the time we would shut it 'OFF', we 'CLOSE' the valve on the propane bottle, and allow the heater to gradually burn out.

Last edited:
There are plenty of vintage campers and RVs around with functional copper tubing LP gas lines. It needs to be properly secured to the walls to reduce movement on the tubing and fittings. It is a DOT approved application that has standards that need to be complied with for the proper installation of the system.