Planning my great escape

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joan Ixito

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a 60 year old female. I'm interested in doing this because I like travel and I don't mind roughing it if I have to. Also, I think this is a good way for me to live affordably when it finally is time to retire. I live in PA, so I am not sure there is the same depth of community out here for van/rv dwellers as there might be out west.

My biggest concerns are (1) how much adults kids will handle this, and (2) keeping my two dogs happy and healthy.

I probably don't have to do too much downsizing when the time comes, since recent forced moves have already made me minimize. I don't have a van or RV yet. I still have to work out what I'd like to live in, in terms of do I sell my car and get a truck to tow something, or do I get a unit already attached to a vehicle.  Push comes to shove however, I have a really nice tent, a working car, and most of the essentials.

Welcome Joan to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I also have a nice tent, a working car, and most of the essentials. Friends keep asking what I'm going to get to tow behind and so far it's not in the budget. But I am not tempted anyway....not towing keeps things simpler, cheaper, and less things to develop problems. Once I go on the road full time, I may find I already have all I really need anyway.

Welcome, Joan-
Fellow Northeastern girl here. Southern NY (as in, the city!)...and you're right, not too many of us here. What part of PA are you in? It's a huge state, I know. 

That's awesome that you've gotten a lot of the downsizing out of the way; I know that can be a hard part of the equation to get free...

Hang around on these pages and on Bob's YouTube channel and over time, you'll get very good, clear ideas of which rigs might work for you and why. And everyone is generally very friendly and helpful to those who need clarity, questions answered, etc....This is a great resource right here! 

In the meantime, enjoy these gorgeous days of May and looking forward to meeting sometime, somewhere....even in Philly, if you're close to there.
Take good care!

Easterner here,too!
I’m just getting started myself. Got a miniV ready to go after spending a couple years researching,downsizing, and gathering gear.

Here’s two quotes that have been on my refrigerator for quite some time...

“ Life is either a great adventure or nothing at all.”- Helen Keller

“ Now is the time to live your ideal life.” - Cousineau

And from my favorite movie, Shawshank Redemption, “ Get busy living or get busy dying. “

I’ve been wanting to do this for over 10 years. I’ve told myself a hundred reasons why I should do it, but allowed my fears to give me a thousand reasons not to. I understand that even though I feel extremely prepared, there will be somethings that I will just have to learn the hard way. It’s not like I haven’t learned the hard way before.... it doesn’t kill you.
So I’m going for it...

Hope to meet some of you folks along the way someday.

Welcome to the forums...lots of interesting info here.

I think your dogs will be happy where/whenever you are with them, and getting more attention than they do now while you work. As far as grown kids are concerned, they will either learn to deal with it, or not accept it, and become bitter...it's their choice how they want to feel about it, you shouldn't be worried about ruffling feathers, and concentrate on your own life for a change.

Hello Joan!  I live in NH and am happy to see someone from the east coast planning their future world on the road!  I just drove from FL to here with my 1997 Dodge Ram;  rode just great but needs some work to make it suitable for full time.  priorities,  to insulate, work on rust spots....did come with many items already that I am pleased about and yet also have to learn about! I am hoping to make the January 2020 RTR and someone to trip with across the country to be there but am ok if I don't.

If you come to NH i hope we can meet or just keep up some correspondence.  Till next time Be Well.  Rhonda

FlowerGirl said:
Welcome, Joan-
Fellow Northeastern girl here. Southern NY (as in, the city!)...and you're right, not too many of us here. What part of PA are you in? It's a huge state, I know. 

That's awesome that you've gotten a lot of the downsizing out of the way; I know that can be a hard part of the equation to get free...

Hang around on these pages and on Bob's YouTube channel and over time, you'll get very good, clear ideas of which rigs might work for you and why. And everyone is generally very friendly and helpful to those who need clarity, questions answered, etc....This is a great resource right here! 

In the meantime, enjoy these gorgeous days of May and looking forward to meeting sometime, somewhere....even in Philly, if you're close to there.
Take good care!
@FlowerGirl,
That's a great advice. To hang around the forum and also to watch Bob Well's videos on Youtube. That's how I started! Been living in my rig for a year and a half now and still watch a lot of videos until recently. There's a wealth of information that can be mined that's really practical for this lifestyle. Plus they're very entertaining.

Regarding  your concern about your grown kids, thats not a unique concern. I think it's safe to assume that 
a lot of us in the vehicle dwelling lifestyle have or have had concerns about what people would say. I did! But it didn't stop me for doing what 
I wanted to do! In the end I wanted to live my life my way without harming anyone around me.

Welcome to the forum Joan!

Joan Ixito said:
My biggest concerns are (1) how much adults kids will handle this, and (2) keeping my two dogs happy and healthy.

Joan, I have never full-timed, but hubby and I have spent several winters in Florida with our dogs in a 17' Casita.  We trave!ed with an Aussie/lab and a  a Maltese for 2 years.  It was cramped, but with frequent walks, we loved it.  The Aissie was skittish at first, but then got comfortable in it.  It was home to her.

Now I camp in my tiny van with my Chihuahua.  He was a nervous wreck the first two trips, but now he loves it.

Your dogs will probably adjust and enjoy all the new places to run and sniff.

Here are a couple of photos of Sheba and Sunny.  Sunny has since died, and since we were unable to give Sheba the exercise she required, we rehomed her to a hobby farm with goats, horses and chickens, where she is extremely happy.

sheba-ron-and-sunny.jpg

sunny-and-sheba-sleeping.jpg