planning a cargo trailer conversion- how to attach?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyllisindallas

Reaction score
Maybe this is the wrong forum, but couldn't find a better place.

I am looking now at buying a 6x12 cargo trailer.  I have found great info here on the forums, and from Bob's videos and others, but I have some basic questions.

My main question is about how to attach anything to the body of the trailer. Maybe this is a stupid question to most.  I am fairly handy, and have done lots of work on my house, but it is wood!. All the videos I watch talk around how they do it without actually talking about it, which is why I am asking.

I would be happy to buy a book if one is out there about how to do this (I'm guessing working with a van would be the same, so maybe they are out there). 

In some of the videos they have clearly made wood studs, but how did they attach them to the trailer??

Thanks for working with my ignorance.

cargo trailers have ribs made out of metal. the outside skin and inner walls are attached to the ribs. highdesertranger

Depends on what you are attaching, but generally speaking, if attaching something structural, you first attach the supports to the wall ribs [font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif](using self-drilling screws) [/font]and maybe also to the plywood floor, or the frame members under the floor, depending on what you need. For extra strength, you can drill all the way thru the rib and outside skin, and use carriage bolts, with sealant. 

You can then use 1x3 or 2x4 wood, or aluminum angle, standoff brackets, etc.

Having said that, some trailers come with 3/8" plywood interior walls, which can support some smaller amount of weight. Many trailers come with very thin interior luan paneling which won't support much of anything....its just cosmetic.

Tnttt.com has a really good huge fourm on cargo trailer conversions. Just check the index but word of warning some of the threads are so complete it will take some time so check out the stickies as it might be quicker but man some of the builds.

Attaching things to the inside walls of a cargo trailer is very straightforward, if, as tx2sturgis recommended, the original poster buys a trailer with 3/8" plywood walls, instead of the thin Luann plywood. It is quite common for trailers to come with the 3/8" plywood walls, so it's not a special order or anything.

The heavy objects will just sit on the floor of your trailer. The things attached to the walls are relatively light: shelves, counters, hooks, etc.

I used #8 wood screws throughout my cargo trailer conversion. Be sure to drill a pilot hole. And don't overtighten. Use a manual screwdriver for final tightening -- your muscles learn how to avoid overtightening.

Not one of the wood screws in my conversion has come loose.

The original poster will find it fun and easy to attach things to the walls like this.

Can anyone recommend a good well built cargo trailer? I want a double axle v nose with a curved roof for better water run off. 7 x 14

Why do you need a double axle trailer? Do you plan on hauling 7000#?

My 6x12 has a single 3500# axle, costs 1/2 the price of a double axle trailer and is way lighter to tow.

I don't need anything better.