North East Gatherings?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll keep an eye on this thread. I live in Illinois, but travel to Massachusetts with some regularity to see family. As much as possible, I try to spend my nights on the road in National and State forests, although, I hit a Walmart or truck stop now and then as necessary. I'd be happy to time a trip so as to work in a couple of days at a Northeast gathering.

Firebuild said:
I know there's no BLM land here, but I'm wondering if anyone ever meets up in the good old cold Northeast? I am in MA and would love to get together with anyone in New England or New York. I can't stray too far from my mother right now.

I've been having a small gathering, about 6 or 7 folk attend, in May and October the past couple years. Good chance I'll do it again this year. If you want to reach me best to PM as I don't log on regularly.

I'm in too, im in Connecticut, I will be done with a large cabinet job in a week or so and was thinking of going south for a few weeks.
anyone interested ?
I have never been south of the D.C. area so It should be an interesting trip.
I can also provide some free carpentry work to someone who needs it.
just me and my dog in a minivan.

I’m in the NH seacoast area. In the White Mountain National Forest there are 3 regional offices. Each office has a list of local NF dispersed sites where free camping is available. They don’t publish the location of the sites but will provide directions over the phone or if you stop in the office. One suggestion is Elbow Pond off route 118 near Woodstock, NH. There is a 14 day limit, 14 person limit per site. Go to fs.usda.gov for contact info. I’d be interested after mud season.

I’m in the NH seacoast area. In the White Mountain National Forest there are 3 regional offices. Each office has a list of local NF dispersed sites where camping is available. They don’t publish the location of the sites but will provide directions over the phone or if you stop in the office. One suggestion is Elbow Pond off route 118 near Woodstock, NH. There is a 14 day limit, 14 person limit per site.

Personally, I've got the Brimfield Antique Market from about May 13 - 20. I'm up for any other dates.

Hi - I would love to join a northeast gathering in May, White Mountains sounds good!

ckelly78z said:
I'm in NW Ohio, and mostly do State Parks, but would love to have a get together locally, rather than Arizona.

Hello,
 I too am in NW Ohio and just thinking about getting into the boondocking lifestyle. I at least want to try it out. I have a Chevy Trax I am going to use. I know it is small, but I like the gas mileage. I would like to attend a gathering. Please let me know if you put one together. I am very interested. Thank you, have a great day.

Ghoststories said:
Hello,
 I too am in NW Ohio and just thinking about getting into the boondocking lifestyle. I at least want to try it out. I have a Chevy Trax I am going to use. I know it is small, but I like the gas mileage. I would like to attend a gathering. Please let me know if you put one together. I am very interested. Thank you, have a great day.

I went to google maps to look at Ohio, not a lot of (state or national forest) green showing...  onto plan "B".

Find a state park you like (could be city or county or even a private park. Know anyone with some land ?), pick a weekend and announce you're having a get together at "that" place. Give a URL to that park, announce what a site costs, when you're doing it and tell anyone interested that you'll see them at the camp fire that night.

Poof! You've scheduled a get together! 
At the worst it will be just you spending a weekend camping & just maybe you'll meet some new friends.

I know a guy who does that on some wildlife management land on the Tennessee river in northern Alabama every year in April. Cuzzen Dyck calls it the "the spring vandweller SE GTG". 
He found a place, picked a time and just does it..... I've gone for several years... Look him up on the yahoo vandwellers group or some of the FB vandweller groups.

We're going back to the Buffalo NY area this summer and we may make it out to the Mass area since my brother lives in Mass. Let's find a way to keep in contact.

Our channel is S & S and the RV Cats in case you want to check us out. I'll check out your channel.

I won't be able to attend, but for clarity's sake and ease of finding information I think a
Northeast Gathering 2019 is in order.

I am from the Albany, NY area originally, but travel extensively throughout the West now. Funny nobody mentions the largest park in the lower 48 states that is in NY, the Adirondack Park. I always kind of wondered why more people don't think about it for remote camping possibilities. Plus, it is wilder than most other areas of the US, and filled with hiking and canoeing adventures. As for my experience in the East, the National Forests are too fragmented, small, and crowded to give a very remote feel to them.

I'm from the west & NY has a reputation. Boondocking-dispersed camping is not part of that reputation.

Sharbysyd said:
We're going back to the Buffalo NY area this summer and we may make it out to the Mass area since my brother lives in Mass.  Let's find a way to keep in contact.  

Our channel is S & S and the RV Cats in case you want to check us out.  I'll check out your channel.

Hey! Sorry it took me so long to see this, i guess I unsubscribed to this thread accidentally. Please please please get in touch if you get out this way! Next week I'll be at Brimfield all week, selling out of the bus. I will head over to YT and subscribe, my website is crackedvessel.com and there's a message button on there so feel free to get in touch there. Or here - I will resubscribe to this thread.

43oswegatchie said:
I am from the Albany, NY area originally, but travel extensively throughout the West now. Funny nobody mentions the largest park in the lower 48 states that is in NY, the Adirondack Park. I always kind of wondered why more people don't think about it for remote camping possibilities. Plus, it is wilder than most other areas of the US, and filled with hiking and canoeing adventures. As for my experience in the East, the National Forests are too fragmented, small, and crowded to give a very remote feel to them.

The Adirondacks are gorgeous. I didn't know they had remote camping!

I spent some time in Albany and also Plattsburgh. Had a great time. Lot of cool things to see in New York State.

:)

But alas, we northeasterners are a minority here--most of the folks at CRVL are southwesterners.

becida said:
I'm from the west & NY has a reputation. Boondocking-dispersed camping is not part of that reputation.

When people hear NY, they think of city; there is an entirely different world 80 miles north of NYC. I came from the Midwest in 2001 and would never go back. The Catskill Mountains run nicely into the Adirondacks all the way to the Canadian border. The people in Upper State NY are accepting and very pleasant. If you are a hiker, fishermen, etc. it is Heaven. The AT runs right through the state and finishes in Maine. As for crime most people don't lock there car or house. I have never been hassled camping either. My only complaint is having to go somewhere else in winter; cold is an understatement.

"But alas, we northeasterners are a minority here--most of the folks at CRVL are southwesterners."

Southeasterners are a minority, too....still for me it beats desert dwelling,