I wonder if there's some way to fill this need

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need to stay in that area for at least a week after each surgery as there is an important follow up visit. Plus as with any surgery there is a small risk of infection or some other issue. So do plan on hanging out in easy driving distance.

When my acquaintances who are nomads are having surgeries and I am around, without being asked I volunteer to drive them to and from the surgeries and stay nearby if needed. So far I have not needed to do that but I always offer. I offer because I have been there and done many times where I had surgeries I was required to be picked up afterwards. Asking can be hard, offering is easy when of course it is possible to do.

I have had 5 eye surgeries where I needed someone to sign me out. I know what that worry and need to arrange for that other person is like. That is why I volunteer without being asked.

Last edited:
Interesting side note about Mexico medical tourism. There are usually guest houses and hotels near the surgical clinics that provide not just a room but also a person to drop off, pickup and then check in on the person at the required intervals to make sure they are OK.

You will need to stay in that area for at least a week after each surgery as there is an important follow up visit. Plus as with any surgery there is a small risk of infection or some other issue. So do plan on hanging out in easy driving distance.

When my acquaintances who are nomads are having surgeries and I am around, without being asked I volunteer to drive them to and from the surgeries and stay nearby if needed. So far I have not needed to do that but I always offer. I offer because I have been there and done many times where I had surgeries I was required to be picked up afterwards. Asking can be hard, offering is easy when of course it is possible to do.

I have had 5 eye surgeries where I needed someone to sign me out. I know what that worry and need to arrange for that other person is like. That is why I volunteer without being asked.
My doc told me they will want to check me the following day and, since, hopefully, I will be there overnight it seems like a great plan. Saves me from having to drive back and forth. My van has no passenger seats with seatbelts so, if i drive there, i would have to drive it back to camp or leave it there anyway.

I truly hope they would for you. If nothing else, offer to pay someone a few bucks to sign you in and out. Preferably someone already at the hospital. Maybe check the maternity waiting rooms for family waiting. Or, maybe someone that has to be there for treatments.

Heck, even someone that works close would work. Since there's a cat involved, it'll likely be easier to get someone to help if needed.

But I hope they just let you do your original plan and you can disregard everything above.
Good ideas, but both places I have been refferred to by my doc are more of a specialty shop...not a hospital, but a place that only does cataract surgeries. Kind of like a dentist office but for eyes, ha ha. Both surgeons also work at rhe local hospitals too but I guess they make more money, or get to keep more of it and can save their patients money doing it out of the hospital? Just guessing but it makes sense. If I need a bandage, in the hospital that would cost me $500 instead of $5 at a place like this. Probably why my insurance company insists on it.

I have had 7 eye surgeries. 2 for lasik. 2 for cataracts, 2 for vitrectomy and 1 for an epiretnal membrane peel. All of those were done at a surgical facility exclusively for eye procedures. There are a great many such surgical clinics around now that can handle those types of procedures that have little risk of someone needing a transfusion. For instance there are also clinics for dental surgeries and cosmetic surgeries. If a serious complication arises you are sent by ambulance to the emergency room at a regular hospital.

Last edited:
I just had my 2nd cataract Surgery in Vegas a month ago. The 1st one was done back in October. I was camping on BLM land in Pahrump at the time of both surgeries. I knew nobody well enough to ask them to drive me back-and-forth from Pahrump to Vegas, and on top of that I'd have to return to vegas the next day for a follow up check with the doctor. I explained my predicament to the doctor and had him put me in touch with the administrator at the surgery center. They agreed to let me park my rig in the parking lot at the surgery center and let me walk out after the surgery and stay there for the rest of the day and night. In the morning I was able to see well enough to drive the 5 miles to the doctor's office, and an hour later I drove myself back to Pahrump.
They are only worried about you until the anesthesia and it's effects have worn off. The whole scenario played out so well that when it was time for the 2nd surgery I arranged it with a simple phone call. They even had someone bring dinner out to me in my rig, and in the morning they brought me coffee.
You'll never know what you're gonna get if you never ask.
Very cool ! 😃

I purchase a vintage fiberglass trailer. Mine is 59+ years old. Hire someone to remove any materials that might have mold grows the and start rebuilding with eco friendly materials. You will end up with a lightweight dream home. But it takes time, dedication and shopping as well as either having or hiring out skills.

Mine is not a build designed for chemically sensitive individuals as that is not one of my personal health issues.