North East Gatherings?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebuild

Reaction score
I know there's no BLM land here, but I'm wondering if anyone ever meets up in the good old cold Northeast? I am in MA and would love to get together with anyone in New England or New York. I can't stray too far from my mother right now.

I'm in PA. I work in N.Y. sometimes. I might get to Springfield MA eventually. I don't know of any gatherings but I'm in the area.

someone always has a gathering or two in the warmer months. I am surprised they haven't replied. highdesertranger

Thanks for giving me a little hope, maybe someone will respond as it gets a little warmer!

I'm in NW Ohio, and mostly do State Parks, but would love to have a get together locally, rather than Arizona.

I'm in SE Ohio, I have a few summer plans and would enjoy a trip to the far east and north. Keep this thread alive and by spring you'll see more replies.

Let me know when any will be at Batstoe or Atsion in Wharton State Forest. Or Bass River winter campground.

Weight said:
Let me know when any will be at Batstoe or Atsion in Wharton State Forest. Or Bass River winter campground.

That's NJ, right? I'd be up for a get-together there if it's a good place for people.

You could always pick a park or campground and tell the world you're having a gathering on a specific date. Show up (pay your money), get a fire going and put the coffee on... maybe you know someone with a bit of land who'd let you & a few friends camp there for a few days?

Do any of the nearby national forests have enough dispersed camping to do that for a few vans? You get 3 or 4 people out there camping & you have a gathering. It doesn't have to be fancy... people sitting around the campfire talking about there vans is actually fun.

I have a friend with a chunk of land in rural New York.. .maybe I will pose this question to him. 

The only national park out this way I know of is Acadia in Maine.

How about Shenandoah, sometime in early spring? A couple of the campgrounds there open at the end of March.

When I lived in Eastern Kentucky several years ago when most campgrounds were closed usually there was a boat ramp that allowed overnight parking and as I liked to fish it worked out perfectly (a lot of fish cleaning stations have 110 volt outlets) other than being cold.

I would be intrested  in a get together in the north, in the snow.

Firebuild said:
I have a friend with a chunk of land in rural New York.. .maybe I will pose this question to him. 

The only national park out this way I know of is Acadia in Maine.

Private land is a great thing, the best!  Good luck with that...

Not national Park... national FOREST.  A NP is a very structured place, national forest has a very different set of rules and a different purpose.  

I believe there are national forests in Vermont & New Hampshire.... a ranger station will have the free "motor vehicle use map" that will show where dispersed camping is allowed.

Right, I realized that after I posted - sorry. There's White Mountains and Green Mountains... I will look into those further. I was kind of aiming at someplace midway between New England and OH since some OH people responded, which is why I said Shenandoah.

My friend is non-committal. He hasn't said no... but also hasn't said yes. His place is a big farm with an open field in the mountains. 

As far as camping in snow goes, I guess the mountains will have it but it's been a super non-snowy year where I am in MA. It snowed this morning then the sun came out and blasted it all away.

bullfrog said:
...when most campgrounds were closed usually there was a boat ramp that allowed overnight parking...

I just saw a video where someone was boondocking on a boat ramp - that sounds like a good idea.

Firebuild said:
As far as camping in snow goes, I guess the mountains will have it but it's been a super non-snowy year where I am in MA. It snowed this morning then the sun came out and blasted it all away.

If you figured something out for the spring you have a some time to get the word out....

So.... please excuse my naivety, but this isn't something I've done before. I just looked at the dispersed camping areas listed for Green Mountain in VT and one site says "Area Status: Open" at the top of the page. No other sites have any area status listed one way or the other. So... I'm interpreting this as, you can camp in the area marked open but not the others, if we were to get a winter thing together? It also says the site is not being maintained during the shutdown but makes no mention of whether that affects camping at all.

Firebuild said:
So.... please excuse my naivety, but this isn't something I've done before. I just looked at the dispersed camping areas listed for Green Mountain in VT and one site says "Area Status: Open"

I could not personally make any guesses about a NF I've never been to.  I'd take a look before I did any serious planning....

Some camping areas get seasonally closed due to weather (snow usually). If they don't say closed, they are open.