North East Gatherings?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firebuild said:
I just looked at the dispersed camping areas listed for Green Mountain in VT and one site says "Area Status: Open"

All the dispersed camping I've done on NF land has been done well away from any "sites". As I recall, the specific distance you had to be away was  a quarter mile.

We have a small gathering of friends in the Smoky Mountains (NC) the first full week of May every year at a private campground. Campground rates and rules apply. Any of you may join us if you wish.

becida said:
I could not personally make any guesses about a NF I've never been to.  I'd take a look before I did any serious planning....

I doubt I'll have an opportunity to go there before we gather. I'll have to research this other ways.

becida said:
All the dispersed camping I've done on NF land has been done well away from any "sites". As I recall, the specific distance you had to be away was  a quarter mile.

Well, there is a list of areas with names and locations when you open the "dispersed camping" page. There is another page for campsite camping, and some of the place names are the same.  I will look into it further. 

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/gmfl/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=64897&actid=34

Here's what it says on another page: 

General Forest Information:
There are many general forest areas available on the Green Mountain National Forest for rustic or dispersed camping. These areas provide a place to camp and enjoy nature’s solitude at no charge. Visitors can camp anywhere on the forest unless the area is posted closed to camping. Camp in existing sites or stay the strongly recommended 200 feet from roads, streams, trails, and bodies of water to disperse impact. Do not cut any vegetation. There is a camping limit of 14 days in any 30-day period on the Forest. Please leave the campsites clean by using Leave No Trace Principles, such as carry out what you carry in.

And a link to that page:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb5318739.pdf

'We have a small gathering of friends in the Smoky Mountains (NC) the first full week of May every year at a private campground. Campground rates and rules apply. Any of you may join us if you wish."

Super...will there be details posted here?

Riverman said:
We have a small gathering of friends in the Smoky Mountains (NC) the first full week of May every year at a private campground. Campground rates and rules apply. Any of you may join us if you wish.

That sounds great, of course it will depend if the campground allows "schoolies" since my RV was once a bus. Some do not. But if it's doable, I'll do it!

I think most NF's east of the Mississippi have to be in established campsites. There is not a lot of NF in the east.

The problem with campgrounds is that they want reservations in advance.

They want a deposit months in advance and don't want to hear... I hope I can make it, I will come if I can, I hope too, I will try too, etc.

I have to pay a deposit 6 months in advance for my reservation, and they scares many away.

Also, $30 a night is the cheapest I've found in the Smoky Mountains.

B and C said:
I think most NF's east of the Mississippi have to be in established campsites.  There is not a lot of NF in the east.

Yes, I imagine it's all pretty different than the west coast forests. It all seems much more managed.

I have no problem with established campsites. Does $30 per night include electrical hookups?

Riverman said:
The problem with campgrounds is that they want reservations in advance.

Also, $30 a night is the cheapest I've found in the Smoky Mountains.

That might be out of my price range, but my first step would be finding out if my vehicle is on the no-go list. Would you be willing to share the name of the campground, either on the thread or by PM?  Of course if they book up 6 months ahead it might be too late already to make a reservation.

They are closed for the winter now, when they open back up in late March I will ask .

Today, being the 6th of January, if it is a State Park in most states, the 4th of July week is probably already booked up from their 6 month lead time.

In Ohio, you have to be planning ahead for the SP sites.

I go to a small gathering in New York State twice a year. The person who organizes it posts here normally.  (Usually May and October).  Keep your eyes open for his posts.

Hey N'oreasters! Two NY (Finger Lakes) tour stops Hootie and the Blowfish this summer. Anyone else going?????

A FELLOW ON YOU TUBE  "GOINGNOWHEREFASTRV"  LIVES IN THE N.E. AND HAS A LOT OF BOONDOCKING PLACES ON HIS VIDEOS.  HE TRAVELS WITH GERMAN SHEPARDS SO MOST IF NOT ALL OF HIS SPOTS ARE PET FRIENDLY.

I'M IN LOWER AL NEAR FT. RUCKER  IF I'M EXTREMELY LUCKY I MIGHT GET AS FAR NORTH AS KY AND OVER INTO THE HOOSIER NATIONAL FOREST SOMETIME IN THE SPRING.  I LIVED IN BRECKINGRIDGE COUNTY IN KY FOR 2YRS.

I ALSO LIKE PA HOWEVER THAT IS TOO FAR FOR ME ROAM IN THAT DIRECTION.

JEWELLANN

If any of you are on Facebook, there's a group gathering steam - I think it's called "East Coast Van Build" but they're planning something in that part of the country. I don't know if they have a location nailed down yet.

I couldn’t find it on Facebook. If u get a link can u post it please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New York girl here, downstate but willing to meet anywhere including upstate in Hudson Valley or Catskills area, even just for a day trip or meet-up if anyone's around; no snow yet this year, save for one freaky day in November but it all melted next day. So, it's not crazy to think about a day hike even though it's winter.