Nomadland (film)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, kpinvt.

Cool trailer. Says a lot without using many words. Well done, can't wait to see it. Looks like that scene was shot in Quartzite, maybe, in winter. Bob and Sueanne would know.

One thing, tho -- The article described Jessica Bruder's book as a novel. The book wasn't a novel, it was non-fiction. The moviemakers seem to have novelized it for the film. Fine, I'm in.

Also, love Frances McDormand. Yay!

Johnny

They are doing a drive in premiere in LA September 11 in LA in lieu of the cancelled Telluride premier.

Perhaps someone can arrange a ‘drive-in’ showing in Q this January?

Some of us old timers from the RTR gatherings were invited to be extras. Some of us even had speaking roles so it'll be fun to watch the movie. I think Tony and my small extra roles will be cut but our RV made an appearance in far background at 0.06. :-D

The movie is a fictionalized account of Linda May's story from Jessica's book.

There is a small possibility that the movie will be shown somewhere in Quartzsite this winter.

Since the Telluride Festival has the rights I’m suggesting that we do a similar event here. Actually suggested a few times.

Anyone know someone who could suggest again?

It is a nice, slower time here, till the aspen leaves drop. Also spring just before equinox.

I think they should premiere it at a drive in  movie theater. It is the most suitable place theme wise and also works for Covid distancing requirements.

Some nomads who had significant parts in the film -- Bob, Linda May, and others -- were at the "drive-in" showing of the Telluride at Los Angeles Film Festival last night. They say the movie is wonderful.

gah - we really wanted to be there for that! But was unable to find tickets anywhere online, and besides it would have been a 200-mile round trip. :(

They have opened some theaters and say they are opening more so I’m hoping by December my local theater will be open. Read the book twice.

I would pay the $25 I want to see it that badly but not for a 4 hour window. If they would just let it be rented online. I think the book was so good because the author fell in love with the nomad lifestyle and nomads. She somehow managed to be both a journalist and one of the group. Just a well-written interesting book.She bought an RV and I think she still travels.

Hey MrNoodly,

Thanks for posting those reviews. I read all of them and it seems like the folks who wrote them really loved the film, even though they all saw the nomad experience as something outside of their world, something they hadn't considered before.

Can't wait.

Johnny

The latest is that the online viewing December 4-10 is sold out (I managed to get a slot) and that Searchlight hopes the pandemic is sufficiently under control for the movie to be in theaters mid-February.