Film: Without A Trace

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has seen the film Without A Trace . I don't know how long it ran in theaters (long enough to grab an Oscar nomination for best 2018 picture anyway) but it's just been released on Amazon Prime. I caught it last night.

I'm still processing what I saw, but essentially it's about a man and his maybe thirteen-year-old daughter who've managed to live in the forest for years whose daily lives are about surviving and keeping their shelter from the elements and being able to move at a moment's notice to avoid being caught and brought to a better life by well-meaning authorities. He suffers considerably from PTSD and she's just a kid who's been raised off the grid by this quiet, sad man. He can't bear to be near other people and she wonders just what that might be like.

The film is shot in Multnomah and Clackamas counties in Oregon and the latter part of it features a community of folks living in vehicles and old RVs somewhere out in the woods.

If you're reading this thread, I know you will get into this movie one way or the other. It's a good one.

Johnny

I miss the "Thank You" button. Anyways...thnx! Sounds interesting but f'd up. Will try to watch it somewhere.

Thnx Cyndi! Saved me some searching!

It's based on a true story - https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/lif...bc8ca2318/story_of_father_and_girl_found.html

Another movie some might find interesting - Captain Fantastic. Father raising his kids in a wild/survivalist fashion, is confronted by their desires to be be more modern. They work it out! No broken family at the end. Do some traveling in a skoolie, which is pretty cool.

That news story also mentions the author Willy Vlautin, all of whose books are about people who "ain't right". They're great.