Pre-Flight Hello!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoMoreMad

Reaction score
Brand new nomad-to-be here, not quite off the runway yet, but I just got my rig last week, so I'm spending the next few weeks getting it ready to roll, and putting my stuff in storage - I'm REALLY doing it! I intend to be on the road by this time next month.

I actually started planning my 'escape' back in 2018-2019 by watching tons of videos on youtube, reading books and blogs, making lists of things I needed to learn, and buying a pickup truck I intended to haul a small trailer with at that time and take off by my birthday in early 2020. Well, you probably know how that went...

2020 and COVID happened. My ex bought an RV storage business out in NM, and my youngest son wanted to stay with him since life in the Texas city we lived in had gotten really unbearable (and dangerous) due to the pandemic shutdowns and then the riots that were actually very near where we lived close to the university. I stayed another 6 months and then packed up and left the city as well, it just wasn't worth the cost of living and stress anymore. I have been renting a place out here in NM now an hour away from my youngest and his Dad for about 8-10 months, and in that time, rebooted my plans to hit the road. My plans changed slightly when the ex offered to buy the truck (it was old and having engine issues and he bought all new tires for it). I had been saving money up since the pandemic began, plus the stimulus checks and my income tax returns... so it was time to get a different kind of "shell-on-wheels" for this hermit crab! 

I spent about 2-3 months researching again, and finally, finally settled on a rig. I now have an older(ish) 2003 Gulf Stream Class-C, I just bought her from an elderly retired couple and drove her back out here from Texas last week! She's a 24ft "Independence" model (Ford E350 van chassis), which I think is a very fitting name for me as a very independent middle-aged woman deciding to hit the road and live this lifestyle soon. I paid for her cash, so I won't have any 'rent' expenses after I get everything moved out of my rental and can save money! I'm fortunate to have a full-time job that I work remotely/online (software management), and I'm going to keep that for a while until I'm ready to 'retire' from the rat-race of the online world permanently and feel confident with savings to do so. I'm going to be outfitting my rig with a cellular internet router and antennae/booster which I've been studying up on for quite a while now and have it narrowed down to the system I'm going to set up. I have the money to do it right now, along with upgrades to my new 'home' I want to do inside (a home office!). Eventually, I will bow out of full-time work and work for myself freelance and on the road and live on a much lower (but happier) income!

Thanks for hearing my "how I went crazy" story (as my Mom would call it) and thanks for giving me a place to talk about it and my journey as I begin down that road! Bob's community and support network has really helped reassure me "I got this"  :D

- The 'NoMoreMad' Lady.

Welcome NoMoreMad to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums  :)

Doing your research speaks well for you and I'm sure that in time you will be glad that you did.  You may want to bookmark sites you have found that may be handy references for later if the time arises that you may need or want them.  Like a hiker has his or her staff to rely on when on the trail.

Below in the signature area are a couple of website links.  The one at the bottom may be of the most use to you.  It was created to make life on the road safer, more convenient, and comfortable. It's all free and you're welcome to make use of it.

All the best !

eDJ_ said:
Below in the signature area are a couple of website links.  The one at the bottom may be of the most use to you.  It was created to make life on the road safer, more convenient, and comfortable. It's all free and you're welcome to make use of it.

Wow, I'm taking a look at that site now, and definitely happy to add to my steadily growing bookmark list for future help, there's a TON of great info there, thanks so much for your help and hard work there!

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on that new rig without payments. The advice I’m giving everyone right now is save save save. I would like to have a fund that I could replace this vehicle with if I had to. Of course the fact is I’m going to have to someday if I live long enough. I think that kind of money Tucked away would make the trips I take so much more enjoyable. Welcome to the forum. God bless you.

@NoMoreMad, Good for you, doing such steps.
You sound tech savvy so the links below may not have anything you're not already aware of, but in the fwiw dept, Chris and Cherie, the couple responsible for that site and its offshoots are those rare folk who have a heart to match their exceptional skill.  Been nomads for years.  So hope something helpful amidst all their info for your journey.  Cheers.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gu...ers-cruisers-verizon-att-t-mobile-and-sprint/
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/working-remotely/

nature lover said:
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on that new rig without payments. The advice I’m giving everyone right now is save save save. I would like to have a fund that I could replace this vehicle with if I had to. Of course the fact is I’m going to have to someday if I live long enough. I think that kind of money Tucked away would make the trips I take so much more enjoyable. Welcome to the forum. God bless you.

Thanks, it does feel great to have no car/house/RV payments going forward, and I completely agree, saving as much as possible now, while I'm still fully employed and working remotely is my biggest goal because I don't want to do that indefinitely, and down the road, I will want/need to upgrade my rig most likely, it won't last forever being older already but I'm hoping it will last me a good many years yet so I can save!

Hoot said:
@NoMoreMad, Good for you, doing such steps.
You sound tech savvy so the links below may not have anything you're not already aware of, but in the fwiw dept, Chris and Cherie, the couple responsible for that site and its offshoots are those rare folk who have a heart to match their exceptional skill.  Been nomads for years.  So hope something helpful amidst all their info for your journey.  Cheers.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gu...ers-cruisers-verizon-att-t-mobile-and-sprint/
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/working-remotely/

I love those guys, they're awesome and I'm a member of their "MIA" community, haha. ;) I even recommended them to someone else here in a post. I feel confident the cellular plan and router combo I'm going to go with will keep me connected for work, which is key important for me right now as I'm in a transitional phase of heading out and being very new at it. I will be learning how/when/where to boondock and still stay connected so I needed good advice and the team at rvmobileinternet have been so much help!

NoMoreMad said:
Thanks for hearing my "how I went crazy" story (as my Mom would call it) and thanks for giving me a place to talk about it and my journey as I begin down that road! Bob's community and support network has really helped reassure me "I got this"  :D

- The 'NoMoreMad' Lady.

Well, if you're going crazy, you're going about it sanely!

Welcome to the forum.

jacqueg said:
Well, if you're going crazy, you're going about it sanely!

Welcome to the forum.

Haha, thank you!  :cool:

My mother is getting into her elderly years and has lived in the same small town and state her whole life, so this is the perspective of why she thinks I'm crazy to do this - despite the fact I left that same small town/state at 18 and have lived in many states (and different countries) while in the military and beyond. She knows I can handle this and I love it, she just doesn't "get it" like me, or see the appeal.

There is an expression about this that you should consider.  It describes how older people begin to see things in advancing years and they struggle to hold a grip on the life they have always known.  Often they see their life long small town friends die off one at a time such that the small town cozy nest they have always known diminishes. (certainty of misery)   And any effort to move them to a more secure environment which would be better for them feels traumatic. (misery of uncertainty)

Most often they would just like to die at their own residence as a solution to their quandary.

Better the certainty of misery,  than the misery of uncertainty

Brand new nomad-to-be here, not quite off the runway yet, but I just got my rig last week, so I'm spending the next few weeks getting it ready to roll, and putting my stuff in storage - I'm REALLY doing it! I intend to be on the road by this time next month.

I actually started planning my 'escape' back in 2018-2019 by watching tons of videos on youtube, reading books and blogs, making lists of things I needed to learn, and buying a pickup truck I intended to haul a small trailer with at that time and take off by my birthday in early 2020. Well, you probably know how that went...

2020 and COVID happened. My ex bought an RV storage business out in NM, and my youngest son wanted to stay with him since life in the Texas city we lived in had gotten really unbearable (and dangerous) due to the pandemic shutdowns and then the riots that were actually very near where we lived close to the university. I stayed another 6 months and then packed up and left the city as well, it just wasn't worth the cost of living and stress anymore. I have been renting a place out here in NM now an hour away from my youngest and his Dad for about 8-10 months, and in that time, rebooted my plans to hit the road. My plans changed slightly when the ex offered to buy the truck (it was old and having engine issues and he bought all new tires for it). I had been saving money up since the pandemic began, plus the stimulus checks and my income tax returns... so it was time to get a different kind of "shell-on-wheels" for this hermit crab!

I spent about 2-3 months researching again, and finally, finally settled on a rig. I now have an older(ish) 2003 Gulf Stream Class-C, I just bought her from an elderly retired couple and drove her back out here from Texas last week! She's a 24ft "Independence" model (Ford E350 van chassis), which I think is a very fitting name for me as a very independent middle-aged woman deciding to hit the road and live this lifestyle soon. I paid for her cash, so I won't have any 'rent' expenses after I get everything moved out of my rental and can save money! I'm fortunate to have a full-time job that I work remotely/online (software management), and I'm going to keep that for a while until I'm ready to 'retire' from the rat-race of the online world permanently and feel confident with savings to do so. I'm going to be outfitting my rig with a cellular internet router and antennae/booster which I've been studying up on for quite a while now and have it narrowed down to the system I'm going to set up. I have the money to do it right now, along with upgrades to my new 'home' I want to do inside (a home office!). Eventually, I will bow out of full-time work and work for myself freelance and on the road and live on a much lower (but happier) income!

Thanks for hearing my "how I went crazy" story (as my Mom would call it) and thanks for giving me a place to talk about it and my journey as I begin down that road! Bob's community and support network has really helped reassure me "I got this" :D

- The 'NoMoreMad' Lady.
Cool.....and that's how it gets done.
Stress level to 0....right away.
An instant sense of adventure.

Attachments

• 20220218_190923.jpg
    20220218_190923.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 3