Nomadland book — awesome and OMG

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

Reaction score
So am reading my local library copy of the book NOMADLAND. Just the first chapter and the end of the book so far. It’s really a great review of the lifestyle of van dwelling and the reality of fiscal traps and escapes in America. Am definitely buying a few copies to share with relatives and friends as education about what to expect from choosing this lifestyle.

This is kind of a must read if you are thinking about doing this lifestyle. You need to be ready and adaptable. Many are, but for many this is all the last step in dealing with bad economy math on the low end of the economic ladder.

The kind and smart people mentioned are amazing. But the mistakes that are easy to fall into with health problems or being discriminated or taken advantage of economically are many.

Other opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goshawk said:
So am reading my local library copy of the book  NOMADLAND. Just the first chapter and the end of the book so far. It’s really a great review of the lifestyle of van dwelling and the reality of fiscal traps and escapes in America. Am definitely buying a few copies to share with relatives and friends as education about what to expect from choosing this lifestyle.

That looks like a good read. I placed a hold on it from my library. I think there are 100+ holds on 10 copies, so it might be a while. lol

gallica said:
That looks like a good read. I placed a hold on it from my library. I think there are 100+ holds on 10 copies, so it might be a while. lol

Same here; multiple hold requests for all the copies of the book the library system has

You can do a read then sell with amazon. Think it is $18. Then sell it for $12 later. Sometimes I just don’t want to wait.

Goshawk said:
You can do a read then sell with amazon. Think it is $18. Then sell it for $12 later. Sometimes I just don’t want to wait.

that is tempting. I am in the throes of emptying out my house and hitting the road in february, so it just seems wrong to buy another book!  What was your most important take-away from the book? if you want to share those thoughts!

I haven't read this book but I did read all the reviews on Amazon written so far. It's really apparent from reading the reviews that we nomads are viewed as victims and to be pitied.

Pitied for what? Living a minimalist lifestyle on wheels and enjoying the hell out of it? There are just too many reasons and circumstances for why we live like this to make any generalizations about it.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

trailsailor said:
I haven't read this book but I did read all the reviews on Amazon written so far. It's really apparent from reading the reviews that we nomads are viewed as victims and  to be pitied.

I got interviewed by CNN a while ago for a web story they were gonna do. It was obvious right from the gate that even though I've been van-traveling for 2.5 years now and talked with the reporter for over an hour, I'm not the sort of "van-dweller" they were looking for: they wanted to hear about the housing crash and the Great Recession and being homeless and not having any choice but to live in a van because the American Dream is dead dead dead. They did NOT wanna hear about someone who has a good income and voluntarily chose to live and travel in a van because it is the most interesting and most flexible way to see the country and has no plans whatever to give up the lifestyle and move back into an apartment.

Rightly or wrongly, we van-dwellers are viewed essentially as homeless people, and treated as such--by the public and by the law.

I loved this book! I am sure that it is something that everyone in this forum might find interesting. I know I did! It is very well researched and very well written.

lenny flank said:
Rightly or wrongly, we van-dwellers are viewed essentially as homeless people, and treated as such--by the public and by the law.

It would be nice if books like this would alert lawmakers just how many of us that are out there living like this and that we're a pretty decent bunch and stop passing laws and ordinances making it harder for us. Probably unlikely as long as there are tweakers, squatters, and slobs living in vehicles.

I have it on Kindle too, I'll start reading it. I pretty much know what it's going to say, but, I"ll read it.

gallica said:
that is tempting. I am in the throes of emptying out my house and hitting the road in february, so it just seems wrong to buy another book!  What was your most important take-away from the book? if you want to share those thoughts!

Kindle. 13 bucks.

trailsailor said:
I haven't read this book but I did read all the reviews on Amazon written so far. It's really apparent from reading the reviews that we nomads are viewed as victims and  to be pitied.

Pitied for what? Living a minimalist lifestyle on wheels and enjoying the hell out of it? There are just too many reasons and circumstances for why we live like this to make any generalizations about it.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

You are correct. I read it and the writer really had an agenda and made case studies of ONLY a handful of people who fit her agenda. It painted a picture of essentially homeless people who were always begging friends to park in their driveway, imposing on their children who have NO room for them to start with, couch surf their way across America, buy old vehicles because they are cheap that are constantly breaking down and they have no money to fix them, thus the couch surfing. 

There was also the angle that those one step above homeless people worked at these ridiculous jobs that are the antithesis of retirement. 12 hour shift in an Amazon warehouse is NOT the life for me. I didn't retire until I could stand on my own feet and NOT be a parasite.

One common thread among the case studies was that they either have never had any money, did not work much through their younger years so their social security was complete peanuts, or had money and invested heavily and lost it in the contrived bank crash in 2008. Also there were a couple of mentions of people who had money and lost it to a spouse during a divorce. The author, Jessica Bruder, tells of people in their 70s walking up to 15 miles per shift at Amazon, or putting in 12 hour days slogging through cranberry bogs.  Again, not for me.

It is a good read, sure. Very entertaining. However, as I read it I found myself thinking things more like "Don't let this happen to you" and "Are these people actually LIVING or just existing?"

One thing I could not let go of is that there was a degree of irresponsibility and lack of priority in some of her case studies. One anecdote I remember clearly was one of the van people having to wait for a SS check to pay to get an RV out of a mechanic shop. fill the gas tank, and head off to one of those dreadful jobs. What caught my eye though, and why I mentioned priority, was that as the van dweller filled the tank, there was mention of "adding 2 packs of Marlboro" whatever to the bag. Okay, with NO money to speak of, they choose to waste about $210 of that money on a vice like smoking? In this case, that pack a day habit, at $7 a pack, represented 39% of their available income.  Isn't that the kind of thing that should go away first when you have nothing to live on?

And the stories were just sad and depressing. The threw that shade at van dwellers and made people with RVs that do NOT fit that downtrodden profile, again the writer's agenda, come off like snobs. One story related an evening where a bunch of van people were in a camp area and wandered over to socialize with a bunch of people with Class A and 5th wheel RVs. And according to the book, (paraphrasing) "As soon as it was discovered that they lived in vans, they were immediately ostracized." I found that terribly condescending and far too much of a generalization. How dare she hold it against people who planned well in their earlier years and are well positioned to enjoy their retirement in the comfort of a well appointed RV?

Disclaimer: I am NOT a wealthy person, nor have I yet started living in my RV. I HAVE m RV, a 25 ft Class C, and am in the process of outfitting it how I want it so when I sell my home in the spring I can hit the highway, pulling my little Toyota behind me. What I CAN say about my finances is that I have owned this house for 9 years and have never struggled financially. That is a combination of a frugal lifestyle and essentially rarely leaving my house. I like my house, and my old blind dog needs me here, so here I stay. There isn't all that much that interests me anyway, as i am a very deeply introverted person.

So yes, read the book. Entertaining, even if you don't accept the content with open arms. Remember as you read that there is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. Cheap is doing something so it kinda sorta works kinda sorta okay and it'll do for now. Inexpensive is understanding that fixing something right the first time and never having to fix it again is what saves money. These particular van dwellers in her book do cheap. Over and over and over.

finding out that someone is successful and happy doesn't sell many books. It might be if it were a how to book but instead it is a human interest story and misery and struggling is what they want us depicted as.

Personally I think it is a marketing issue. I tell people that I get to live the life of a Nat Geo explorer. Living in remote places going from beach to mountain top, from desert to deep forest. Other than that it was 20 years of hell to get to this point, I plan on enjoying it.

Have to agree that it is a darker take on the nomad lifestyle. But — given the light hearted feel good social media of YOUTUBE and various blogs and postings on discussion message boards, this different take is appreciated in the book.

Boils down to some people doing low income well with planning and skill sets that assure adaptive decent lifestyle. While many others (majority) taking their bad fiscal habits with them, into a mobile lifestyle.

Bad fiscal habits not spoken of include a complete rejection of insurance industry paradigm. Not much is spoken of medical insurance, or auto insurance, or SS payments while employed, or unemployment insurance (that I consider insurance). Wish that was covered more in this book, and as a discussion in the community overall. Seems to be more of a fiscal flaw.

One thing the book does seem to make clear, is the medical bills can destroy you financially. And they have done that for many.

Life mobile is what it is. Just a different way to exist.

trailsailor said:

Right, it's not a book about you. It's not a book about all the different types of nomads. That's not the point of the book.

It's a book about economics and labor, the gig economy, and the crumbling of the middle class dream of retirement -- as told through the experiences of a handful of nomads.

MrNoodly said:
Right, it's not a book about you. It's not a book about all the different types of nomads. That's not the point of the book.

It's a book about economics and labor, the gig economy, and the crumbling of the middle class dream of retirement -- as told through the experiences of a handful of nomads.

(Just read it.)

Indeed, it is not really about van-dwellers or RV nomads at all. 

Nevertheless, since we vehicle-dwellers get tarred all the time with the label "homeless people", I find it a bit saddening that this book implicitly does the same, even as it makes the point that these "homeless people" are victims of circumstances beyond their control.

It doesn't help our PR image very much.

I will be skipping the book. Thanks for the warning.

Too much emphasis on homeless subset characterization, not enough on successful houseless persons.

Then again the community overall focus tends to be this way for media drama attention i suppose.

There is a large gap between the people without the money and skills to use what money they have to survive and wealthy that have the money and skills to use that money to fulfill their dreams of freedom. Living simply and learning skills of mobile living helps the poor survive and the wealthy fulfill their dreams of freedom. Seems most here feel the book describes the poor which is in fact a large number of people living this life style, but there is a growing number of people who have the skills or learned them here that enjoy themselves living mobile thanks to this site and Bob Wells. Books like this make us aware there is a lot of people that need to be educated in these skills if they are to survive and fulfill their dreams.