I'm failing at Van Dwelling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
know thyself is one of the smartest comments I ever said to myself :) then I know what suits me, what doesn't and how I must roll thru life....after that important issue is accomplished by me, then everything else is fluff in my eyes. Fluff is what other's want, love, enjoy, can do etc....not how I roll and that is good for them, but I do me my way. If something doesn't suit me I search ways to do it my way, usually I can find things and adapt thru it all, eh, we all do what we can do.

remember Jiffy Lube and all the oil change places use the cheapest oil and filters they can find. if you don't care that's fine.

there is round steaks and there is fillet mignon, sure they are both steaks but a world apart.

highdesertranger

man the world is SO open to those dollar issues. one is better than the other, and sometimes IT IS and other times it is a joke as in buy these 'designer name' shoes for $1,200 cause they are better, better who the heck knows but they are valued at just that, lol, ...omg I so get ya HDR so it is pick your battles in spending some bucks thru this life I guess. I love chuck steak and cooked right it is filet mignon.....know what works for ya and not against ya I guess sums it up

highdesertranger said:
remember Jiffy Lube and all the oil change places use the cheapest oil and filters they can find.  if you don't care that's fine.

there is round steaks and there is fillet mignon,  sure they are both steaks but a world apart.

highdesertranger

It's not that I don't care. It's that I don't care ENOUGH.

Twice Jiffy Lube managed to take off my fuel line and not attach it again, resulting in gasoline splashing all over my hot engine while driving and the fumes permeating the cabin. Could have caught on fire easily.

There's doing it yourself, doing it on the cheap, and doing it with more competent help. Sometimes if you don't want to do it yourself, you still need it done well. And you may have to pay a bit extra.

Dingfelder said:
Twice Jiffy Lube managed to take off my fuel line and not attach it again, resulting in gasoline splashing all over my hot engine while driving and the fumes permeating the cabin.  Could have caught on fire easily.

There's doing it yourself, doing it on the cheap, and doing it with more competent help.  Sometimes if you don't want to do it yourself, you still need it done well.  And you may have to pay a bit extra.
To be honest I was using that company's name to illustrate a point I think was somewhat relevant to the original post. I don't actually go to Jiffy Lube at this time for oil changes; I go to a diesel mechanic. But since we're on the Jiffy Lube subject, I will say I've discovered huge variations in skill level and reliability from one Jiffy Lube franchise to another. With my big diesel truck, I can't go to just ANY of their franchises, but I had a fantastic JL back in CA with great technicians I trusted. I ended up there because the way their bays are set up, they approach from the bottom instead of putting the vehicle on a lift, which meant they could handle my bus's 9 foot height when most garages could not. They were also one of the few places in my area that would touch a diesel at all, especially an oldie like mine (a '91). I was offered a choice of what brand of oil and filter to use on my truck each time, and only if I chose the cheapest option did I get the cheapest quality. I also dug the fact that the Jiffy Lube employee who did my oil changes there was female. I guess that shouldn't have mattered but it did! Even going to the regular mechanic here, it's still only a few bucks more than I'd pay to buy the stuff and do it myself.

HDR made an analogy. I'm confident his intention was not to change the subject to oil changes and jiffy lube.

The subject of this thread is not oil changes and jiffy lube. It's a thread about Headache's experiences with vandwelling. Please stick to the subject.

If you'd like to discuss oil changes and jiffy lube or anything else, please, feel free to open a new thread in the appropriate forum

cyndi said:
As far as I can tell only the caravans are using fb, certainly not all things CRVL.
If you have been a part of the caravans is it not possible to make a personal connection and get the information you need that way?

I wasn't a part of any caravan.   I just popped in for a visit one afternoon because one showed up nearby.  I assumed that information about them and things they were doing would be posted here to attract others that may want to participate.

Been a few months since I posted to this thread.  I've been struggling to balance making things comfortable while also doing the necessary things like, you know, vehicle repairs and maintenance, that sort of thing.  I haven't been able to put any money into savings as I just got caught up with my bills after being broke down in Lake Havasu.

My latest fail was one I didn't expect at all.  I thought I had done everything right but it could be that I actually went TOO far in trying to be prepared.  First the pic...

Yeah that's my mattress.  I just discovered it was like that last week.

I have a slotted bed frame so that wasn't the issue.  I think what it is is that the mattress cover I have isn't allowing enough air flow.  I got concerned because of another members recent battle with bed bugs so I bought one of those mattress covers that blocks bed bugs from getting to your mattress.  Either way I need a new mattress ASAP and am stuck sleeping on mine until I can buy a new one.

Don't get sucked in by youtube videos!  It's lovely that all those people are living happy and successful lives but it is NOT my reality and chances are that it may not be yours either.  Caveat emptor!

At least I now know why I am coughing all the time.

HDR I think I want one of your cots but fat girl size.  I've always slept good on firm surfaces.

Is that a foam mattress?

Would sunshine, hot water and a bleach solution rid you of the mildew so you don’t have to purchase another?

You would have to do without while you cleaned and dried it, but just a few thoughts.

Carry on, this challenge will pass.

One foot ahead of the other, forward and through whatever the day brings.

I always make it a habit to disassemble my bedding every week or so, expose it to air while I'm gone, and let it air out.

Especially necessary in humid places like Florida.

ATM I can't get it out and no I wouldn't be able to use bleach on it at least until it off-gassed and that would mean having no place to sleep for about a week. It's 15 years old. Time for something new.

I'm exploring the cot option because it would take no time for it to air out and if I can figure out how to hang the side closest to the wall I could still fold it up and have a little extra room during the day.

wanderin.pat said:
I just read the OP's post.  I have not read every intervening one, so I may be repeating others. 

One of the first things I learned, as Headache mentioned (or I'm paraphrasing), is that this life is simply NOT for everyone.  In addition, many people have a tendency to blame Bob when things don't go as expected.  However, Bob does tend to give the information that everyone can do this.  No matter what, each of us is responsible for our own actions.  If we choose do go on the road, we need to accept the responsibility for it.  It is childish to blame our presumed failures on someone else.  

Headache, your post is very moving.  I find your willingness to be so open about your experiences to be important for all of us to emulate.  I wish you much success in the future, and that you will find a good middle ground.  I have often had some of the similar feelings, such as missing indoor plumbing.  

Right now, I'm staying out in the country.  3 days ago, we lost electricity, then the pump for the well quit working after the electricity came back, and it was cold and snowy.  It's a real good thing that my friend and I both are able to rebound after losing electricity, running water, and heat.   We haul drinking water from town, both have generators, and propane stoves. If I'd never lived this life, and still lived in sticks and bricks, I might have been seriously inconvenienced. 

It's good experience to have, this life on the road.  Even if you move to another way of living. 

Regards, 

WP

I believe when Bob tells people that they can do it, he's trying to encourage them not to give in to their feelings of hopelessness. He was forced into the nomadic lifestyle and I think he has a real empathy towards his viewers and wants all to feel safe, cared for and to succeed.

wow that mattress looks nasty. hope you can hit into a new cot soon!

Headache

While the thread is dealing with the issues that you have had doing this, you might also speak of your recent successes. You had some big improvements lately.

Most people do fail at van (or RV) dwelling. It is very different from S&B dwelling. No matter how much research you do, you can't really know what it is like until you do it. If you are not cut out for it, you are not cut out for it. Make new plans and move on.

I have brain damage and get lost easy.    I understand your challenges.  I'm tbi twice with ptsd.   i have to keep a check on everything that comes out my mouth.   i failed there many times.    I don't know how to tribe or clan.    I knew it would be expensive to live on the road but mostly we have troubles unlike others...  while others can organize and schedule and budget, folks like us can't so well and we buy that expensive take away too often and feel bad from all the chemicals of fast food.   I don't know how we can do this all without guidance but most don't have a connection.   What did you decide to do?

lenny flank said:
I always make it a habit to disassemble my bedding every week or so, expose it to air while I'm gone, and let it air out.

Especially necessary in humid places like Florida.

Good idea.  I think I'm overdue, especially since mold is a very big concern here in the rainy PNW.

jimindenver said:
Headache

While the thread is dealing with the issues that you have had doing this, you might also speak of your recent successes. You had some big improvements lately.

LOL I did have some major improvements lately but they will be in the thread titled, "JiminDenver and Abnorm saved my ass!" thread because those improvements didn't come by my hand.  That was all you and Dougmuffin!  Plus being happy and positive is off topic to this thread.   :p

Latest posts