I'm failing at Van Dwelling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
countrypagan said:
I have brain damage and get lost easy.    I understand your challenges.  I'm tbi twice with ptsd.   i have to keep a check on everything that comes out my mouth.   i failed there many times.    I don't know how to tribe or clan.    I knew it would be expensive to live on the road but mostly we have troubles unlike others...  while others can organize and schedule and budget, folks like us can't so well and we buy that expensive take away too often and feel bad from all the chemicals of fast food.   I don't know how we can do this all without guidance but most don't have a connection.   What did you decide to do?

I'm not editing down this quote because it's important to be read in it's entirety. 

For those afflicted with mental issues and/or brain damage we can't just up and flip a switch or decide not to be brain damaged or depressed or whatever anymore.  My brain damage is mild but mental illness hurts like a mofo.  Anyway, it gets really tiresome when people invalidate our issues and tell us we "just have to decide" not to be this way anymore and yet they'd never tell someone with cancer or a broken leg that.  Seriously, walk up to someone with a broken leg and tell them it's all in their head and they could walk if they just decided to.  Tell me how well that goes over.

Anyway there isn't much for me to decide.  Unless some miracle happens I'm stuck out here.  I'm trying to put a positive spin on this by letting those also as miserable as I am know that they are not alone and I care enough to share how I fail, if I find a work around and what it is so they might avoid some of the same pitfalls.  If I can't find one I'll be honest about that too.

While I'm not a "tribe" kind of person outside my own native heritage and am very sensitive regarding disrespect(to me or towards someone I care about), I did find a few people that so far put up with me pretty good and I like them too.  I also came to the conclusion that it's my own issues with trust that make it very hard for me to have and maintain long term relationships.  At the very least doing this is teaching me a lot about myself.

Headache said:
Anyway, it gets really tiresome when people invalidate our issues and tell us we "just have to decide" not to be this way anymore and yet they'd never tell someone with cancer or a broken leg that.  Seriously, walk up to someone with a broken leg and tell them it's all in their head and they could walk if they just decided to.  Tell me how well that goes over.

No kidding!  "Well, just stop doing that! "  

I chose this life to get AWAY from idiotic remarks like that.   

I wish you much success.

Regards,

WP

it seems pretty likely that there will be a way to hang the cot from the side so that it can be flipped up out of the way. Especially if it is made of tubes. There are all kinds of plumbing parts made to fit around round tubes that can be mounted to a wall. So I suggest heading to a hardware store or even better a specialty plumbing supply store. Hopefully you could go with some actual dimensions of diameter of a cot or even the cot itself.

and always ask for help in that when I hit a hardware store for a project I am not that sure about, I seek out the best guy I think can help and say....I am attempting to do....and get all their info on the best way to handle it. Hey I get some best suggestions from people just doing their jobs and they know so much. Use their smarts in general areas that they know and you might get some of the greatest help ya need :)

wanderin.pat said:
No kidding!  "Well, just stop doing that! "  

I chose this life to get AWAY from idiotic remarks like that.

Heh, just like I told the person who wants to come out here to get away from idiots, good luck with that.  I was hopeful but then reality hit.  I still get treated like I'm stupid even more now than I did when I was a townie with the exception of a few people.  Especially when it comes to how I want to run/use my gear and dogs.  The level of disrespect I've gotten out here is almost vehement and mostly from people who are nice to me upfront and anything but that behind my back.

I watched the CBS video with Bob in it again.  While I'm glad they painted a more objective picture they still showed some of the same BS; mostly new/newish rigs and scantily clad women/models chillaxing and smiling happily while looking out at some amazing view.  Why didn't they talk about actual breakdowns?  Or show the dog shit, broken glass and/or trash that gets left all over the place?  Show the vandwellers and others that actually go around cleaning up after the irresponsible ingrates?  Talk with a person that isn't doing so well out here and why?  Talk about how expensive it actually is out here?  THAT'S also reality!  Yeah I know, the piece couldn't be that long.  Wishful thinking.

But that would paint a much more honest and objective picture of some of the realities out here.

As far as the cot; nothing to update on that until I actually get it and get home.  Considering the schedules of myself and the other person, and nature I may not be able to get it.  I still have some of the hardware from a Happi-Jack so that might also be used to lift it toward the ceiling instead of flipped against the wall.