Expat returning to USA & starting from scratch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadic1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, while I created my account some time ago; I’m just now posting in this forum after watching countless YouTube videos on vanliving, reading websites, forums and buying/reading Bob Wells book.   Sorry for this longish post, but this already is and logistically is going to be very complicated, but I think I’m up for the challenges! 
I’m a mid 50’s (age) American male; firmly intent on returning to the USA in the 1st week or so of Feb. 2019.  I’ve lived and worked in Italy for the past 25 years+ and now have had enough of the lack of work… among other things.  And yes of course there are people and things I will miss, but most things in life of course are trade-offs of one sort or another.  So my life & residency will be in the USA again after this very long residential absence from the USA.  Nevada will be my state of residence.  Thanks to Bob Wells again for the kind suggestions/input!  Though I was split between Nevada & Florida, his opinions clinched it for me as far as the climate advantages (among others) of life in the West far outweighing those in the Eastern USA… for me (your mileage may vary).  Originally I’m actually from the East coast .  Additional posts (to come) will go into my plans and I’ll be asking a lot of questions, especially of those with experience living within say 250 miles of Las Vegas, where I’ll pre-purchase inspect & buy my used vehicle; setup my mail forwarding; get my US drivers license and setup base residency.  It’s kind of ironic that I pondered this lifestyle in the west back when I was in my late teens and early 20’s (interested in metal detecting and small scale gold mining).  So I’d like to think I’ll be approaching this move with some of the wonder and vigor of a 20 something!    :rolleyes:   No, I don’t plan on making a living with those, but hobby interest remains.
I could drag this move out for months… or perhaps years, but I’ve already been seriously looking at this for sometime and it’s time to just do it, as they say.  Money is limited now and further time overseas will only erode that further.  For those who may suggest reaching out to him, I am aware of ExpatMikes repatriation plans/site, but my plans are going to be greatly accelerated.  As far as I can see, he still has to actually make the move back.  I can’t tell you how many times and ways my plans have already changed as I refined the idea of my new nomadic life.  Best laid plans of mice & men… Thus far I'm not aware of any true expat having actually done what I am about to embark upon, if there are any who read this, I hope they reach out to me!  I'm sure I'm not the 1st, but it's a 1st for me personally and that's what matters/complicates it all.
One can read/plan all one wants to, and while that’s definitely invaluable, planning/reading and even knowing how is one thing, but actually doing are not the same thing IMHO.  Some plans will certainly go smoothly/well, some will quite possibly misfire, and mistakes will probably be made, but in the end it will work out.  We all make mistakes, that’s part of being human.  To be afraid of making mistakes, is to be afraid of living IMHO, and therefore, arguably, that’s the biggest of them all.
And so it begins...

Welcome Nomadic1 to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

wow, very cool post.
25 yrs gone and now ya want back and into nomadic lifestyle...I am so cool with what ya wrote :)
I am passionate metal detector and gold to a smaller entertainment cause I do love relic hunts.

You will be fine.
Sounds like you did massive homework and will make this transition in good form.
Feb19 is fast approaching...as we all know time flies the older we do get, but I SO love your thoughts that you are doing this as a 20something cause it was in your mind back then. I so get that.
I wish ya nothing but the best and when you chat up again, ask questions etc and keep in the forum so we know how well you are doing. In Captain's Log you can journal your re-entry and new life. Would be cool to follow you and your great adventures ahead. Best of luck!!!

Hey there N1. Not 25 years (!), but I moved back to the States after 6 years in the Middle East, to care for my father in the US, until his death. Then I bought a van and traveled all over the country looking for my "home." 4 years later, home is wherever I happen to wake up. It's an adjustment....but we nomadic types are used to continual adjustments. Sounds like you've been doing your homework. You will do fine.

The Dire Wolfess

Hey RoamerRV428, thanks for the kind & encouraging words and the suggestion about Captain's Log.  Interesting idea!
Questions will definitely be coming!   :cool:

[quote pid='424089' dateline='1543241285']
Thanks for the welcome highdesertranger, I already followed your link that I saw in other newcomer replies and read up, and will re-read about the tips & tricks.
[/quote]

Welcome back, I like the idea of metal detecting, and panning for gold (or even using a small trommel, shaker with some gold matting in your sluicebox). There is alot of cool, small, portible mining equipment that might pay for themselves shortly.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

So things are still in a state of flux and I was hoping to bounce a couple of ideas off of those who have gone before...
but 1st some further background, I was hoping to buy a used Ford Transit Connect (TC) 2010-2013 (the higher roof config before they reduced it in 2014!), but my budget is very limited.  I really can't see me living out of a car, especially if I need to do stealth in a city.  Last thing I'd need is to have someone break a window and walk off with my stuff. As I said, I have limited cash and I figure I need to keep some cash liquid for starting off expenses such a tags/title/registration/auto insurance/new drivers license(I can use my foreign one until one month after I gain residency)/food/basic gear & emergencies.  I'll probably be working with a 7k budget... so yes flying by the seat of my pants.  I certainly don't want to buy a money pit of a vehicle and even though I'll have it pre-purchase inspected (abt $150-$200 I figure), it's no guarantee I won't have an incapacitating break-down before I have a job and cash coming in.  The model/years I'm looking at seem to run 6k-14k roughly for ones loaded with miles.  Yes beyond my budget unless the dealer is willing to give me a loan with the limited down payment I can afford... probably 4k max as I'll need to have some liquid cash for aforementioned reasons.  But trying to get any loan with no current employment might well be impossible (catch22's), though one dealer I talked to indicated it might be possible depending on my down-payment. It's all very complicated as most job sites wants a US based phone #; so I'll probably have to wait until I'm in the States for most jobs (getting new Verizon cell # is the 1st or 2nd thing I'll do.. right in there with renting a car for maybe 4 days to find/buy a used TC.  Hate to throw away any money on a rental and am considering a real cheap (maybe $2k car) to get me around to dealers (150-200 mile radius of Pahrump)and then just trade it in.  I suppose I can register the temp junker car with my old foreign address..  but I have to look into that. I was going to stay at an RV park for 1 month to get a receipt for residency... but a car is not an RV and the ones in Pahrump don't seem to allow that... TC would be ok for at least 1 park I looked at.  Tent camping for a month in Pahrum doesn't seem to be an option (I need that receipt for residency).
Aside from all that, I'm VERY reluctantly beginning to wonder if it makes more sense to rent a room in Las Vegas, get employment, residency there and get more cash set aside.  This would also allow me more time to search for and find a decent TC and having a job would make getting a loan more likely, I'll save like crazy, but paying rent on a room will eat up a lot of cash.  I do have an excellent credit rating as I diligently protected and kept that up while out of the country all these years.  I'm not overjoyed at the idea of renting a room instead of jumping into the van life... but beginning to think the odds of finding a dependable, affordable TC in the week leading up to my departure/arrival is looking like the odds of winning a lottery.  Might happen, but I can't bank on it.
Any thoughts/advice please?  I'm adamant about making the move back as scheduled in Feb. 2019.  Staying here is hopeless job wise, and reading about another coming US financial crisis, possibly/supposedly within 2019 makes me want to move all the quicker.  Of course no one has a crystal ball.  Thanks again for your valuable advice and enduring this 2nd longish message.

Getting a regular paycheck going is always a good thing unless you are independently wealthy.

Start out in a cheap S&B room, ideally month to month, and

put every free hour and spare dollar into getting at least a base platform for your mobile rent-free living space.

Once you have that, start "camping" for longer stretches until you feel comfortable, then cut the S&B expense out and you can start saving faster to make your buildout more functional, independent for off-grid.

Keep earning until you get say 15K socked away. Then move out hit the road if you want, but when your Reserve hits 10K get working to rebuild it.

When burning miles, pay into your separate Vehicle Fund in advance

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?pid=353330#pid353330

Repatriating is always a catch 22 proposition.

When I did it to Canada a decade ago, it was a nightmare of bureaucratic stupidity!

I found I had to have an address to put on my repatriation paperwork before I moved back...well how do I get an address that I'm going to live at until I get there. Ended up using a friends address for that. Then came trying to get drivers' license changed back, insurance on a vehicle my mother gave me, etc. etc.

Be prepared for at least a few weeks of doing nothing but running around fulfilling government paperwork.

I'd suggest that you land yourself in a bigger urban area, having prearranged a place to live. you can always move later, changing addresses is easy once you've got one. An urban area will give you a larger base of vehicle shopping, a transit system, job opportunities and access to all the bureaucratic offices you will need.

Once you've got your feet on the ground here, jumped through all the hoops to get your paperwork, then you can start vehicle shopping.  A vehicle in hand will give you the freedom to choose where you want to actually live for a while. If you're lucky and find a van right away so be it but be prepared to buy something that can be resold once you're established. With no credit rating to start with, you're either going to have to pay cash or end up at one of those high interest loan places where you don't want to be.

There is no easy way through it all and IMO trying to jump right in to a nomadic lifestyle is just going to complicate your life to  no end. With  no job, no suitable vehicle and no credit rating, you're just asking for nightmares and migraine headaches, better to play the game for a little while than trying to buck the system.

Wish I could tell you that it will be easy but I found it to be an extremely trying time in my life!

Be patient grasshopper, it will all work out your way in the end!

When I lived overseas I got a Skype Out number with a US exchange that resembled approximately where I was planning to live. That made everything easier. It does cost a little, but well worth it since I could call US numbers from my Skype wherever I happened to be. That was a few years ago, and I haven't looked to see how they've "improved" things (LOL), but just a thought.

The Dire Wolfess

Seasonal work at one of the big employers that provide housing may be an option. Take a look at coolworks.com employers there hire many people from outside the country so would be thrilled to hire someone here legally. That would provide you a residence and a pay check stub. They are used to picking people up at bus and train stations. You might find some of the ski slopes needing end of season employees so try them even if they don't have any openings listed. Most likely you will find summer season jobs taking applications now with a 6 week process time to till the job starts usually in March or April. I have seen some openings in Death Valley and the Florida Everglades this time of the year in the past. Good luck and welcome back.

I’m with renting a basic room and finding employment, even temporary employment, then you have an address and an income.

Don’t think of renting as throwing money away, rather an investment into a planned transition to van living. Trying to do things too quickly can be full of problems.

Enterprise has relatively inexpensive car rentals, particularly on weekends in some areas where you can get them for $10 a day. That can be a good way to get around and look for a vehicle.

There are also services in some large cities where you pay a fee to be a member and get X number of vehicle uses per month. You get a code or something, for vehicle access, go to where the vehicle is located and pick it up for your allotted time period. I haven’t used them, but know people in New York who have.

If you’re in a city, taking public transportation may be much cheaper than purchasing a cheap vehicle, insuring it, paying for tags and possibly repairs.

Or, get a better vehicle, a job, and be an Uber driver as a second job and to help get cash stashed away.

Save more than you think you will need, and good luck.

Thanks to all for your replies; I’ll try to address each comment/opinion and ask for some clarification.  John61CT, great info especially about the savings in your included link. But what is an “S&B room”?  I’m guessing it’s a furnished bedroom in an apartment or house with kitchen & bathroom privileges?  Couldn’t find the term anywhere.
Moxadox’s idea about a Skype number is perfect, I use Google Voice from here (free calls to USA (even cell#'s) & Canadian numbers) but to buy a Google number you need to link to an active cell# number whereas SkyPe number just rings their app on your phone, tablet, PC whatever when you get a call on the number you “buy” from them.  I don’t want to complicate things by linking to my Italian cell number [Skype says-“You can even buy a Skype Number from some other countries (some countries restrict the sale of Skype Numbers to residents only), which can make receiving international calls a lot cheaper.”]. Skype currently offers 1, 3 and 12 month billing options.  I will do 3 month which will immediately get me a number to list on job applications and provide a way for room renters to call me back, getting it today, it should be good until about March 13 and I’ll have my own Verizon cell number long before then and just update my resume/job contact info once I have the local cell#.  I’ll get a Las Vegas Skype#.

Though it bums me out a bit, as you have deduced I have decided renting a furnished room is indeed my best bet, as at least one person pointed out an international move back to the States is complicated enough.  BTW, stress from a move has been compared to getting a divorce, I can assure you an international move is far worse.  Buying a used vehicle is fraught with enough risk let alone when funds are severely limited.  Any serious repairs would not only put me in serious debt, but also out on the street.  I’m bringing a good tent I own, but for me tenting is not feasibly an option until I’m in the van life/maybe a camping weekend.  I figure Las Vegas (LV) makes the most sense to take up residency as it’s not far from where I will eventually setup permanent residency (Pahrump) and it is apparently one of the US cities with one of the lowest unemployment rates; therefore certainly more likely I’ll find employment in LV than in Pahrump.   It also seems to have excellent public transportation; so I’ll forgo a vehicle as suggested until I have more cash stashed.  I’ve read/heard starting a nomadic life is best done debt free, and owing payments on a vehicle is decidedly not the way to start out this life.
Trying to jump in to camp hosting only makes sense if I had a debt free vehicle to live in; which for me is a dependable van of some sort.  As far as doing it without a vehicle, as was suggested, I noted some places provide accommodations (or even cheaper RV rental space) but seems either you pay a small daily fee for room & board or your salary is based on that perk, IF it is available at all.  Those are also mostly seasonal jobs and I’d be on the street at the end of the season & without a car.  Too much risk for me as it’s one thing to have family or friends who’ll let you crash for a few days/weeks in an emergency, but I have none in the area.
Thanks again to all for letting me sound things out with you!

Stick & Bricks, as in normal housing, as opposed to mobile dwelling.

Hi Nomadic1-If I were you I would find the cheapest hotel room in LV (have you considered Reno?) and secure it for at least a few days or a week. Seems like it would be less stressful to have a certain place to land once you get off the plane, get oriented and deal with logistics of starting your new life here.
Another suggestion is house sitting web sites (google). Some sits can be quite extended, I got one for 2.5 months. Worth the price of joining up.
Would love to find someone to practice speaking Italian with! I'm in New Mexico now, but will be mobile in the spring.
Good luck!
Elle

Thanks for the advice Elle :) , I hope/plan to have a bedroom rental lined up before I arrive... not to mention ideally a job... any job, but the room really is critical.  Worse comes to worse, if I have to, I'll initially line up & move into a more expensive (than I'd like) room to rent and get settled.  I feel cheap hotel rooms are a crap shoot.  Bed bugs can be found in even expensive hotels, but a 'cheap hotel' room, I would think is more susceptible to an infestation.  Last thing I need is to pick them up!  Inspecting mattress helps! Also, I read one has to find out about hotel resort fees which are expensive in LV, a 'cheap room' can suddenly and unexpectedly become expensive even if you forgo taking advantage of any amenities.  I settled on LV as opposed to Reno since it's near Pahrump, where I will eventually set up residency.  BTW, the bottle of water you find in hotels is apparently NOT complimentary for example... and forget about the mini bar!   :rolleyes:  I'm beginning to think water is expensive in LV, getting a Berkey water filter system in my bedroom will be a priority... and I've read they are great in an RV!  Definitely will try avoid buying anything I can't eventually move into my future converted van.  I plan to live minimalist, as if I'm already in a van, though work clothes wardrobe might well be an exception while in a S&B, we'll see how it all pans out.

I don't know if this applies, but to  get a drivers license in most states you may need a birth certificate.  Perhaps a passport will work, but you may want to check.

Oh, he'll need a birth certificate for sure, also photo id (passport) and probably his repatriation papers as well - that's to prove why his current drivers' license is from out of country. Also will need some kind of proof of residency (copy of lease, rental receipt, utility bill etc).

OP should be grateful he's not female - in addition to all of the above I also had get photostatic certificates of my two marriages from 1967 and 1973 to prove the continuity of my name changes.... :rolleyes: