Nine things nomads never need!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is tougher than it seems at first glance. I went around my place looking for things a nomad would never need.

Every time I saw something to add to the list I remembered someone on the forum had one over the last 10 or so years.

If you had said "don't really need", it would be simple. But "never need" is hard when you've seen people make interesting choices over the years here.

I can't come up with nine and the stuff I'm Googling to find them is causing AVG virus warnings. So here is all I have:

1) Those extra gallons of paint in the basement
2) Any big furniture: Eg. Grandma's antique rocking chair
3) Airless Paint Sprayer
4) Big gym equipment: Ie. stationary bicycle/treadmill/rowing machine
5) Dishwasher
6) Canned air (not the stuff used for electronics). This kind: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-vitality-air-sales-update-bottled-air-1.5073762

I can't come up with nine and the stuff I'm Googling to find them is causing AVG virus warnings. So here is all I have:

1) Those extra gallons of paint in the basement
2) Any big furniture: Eg. Grandma's antique rocking chair
3) Airless Paint Sprayer
4) Big gym equipment: Ie. stationary bicycle/treadmill/rowing machine
5) Dishwasher
6) Canned air (not the stuff used for electronics). This kind: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-vitality-air-sales-update-bottled-air-1.5073762
I could downsize pretty good if I leave that stuff at home. Wait… I can’t bring grandmas rocking chair?

garbage disposal

extension ladder

watering bucket

flower boxes

garden hose

floor lamp

weight lifting bench/weights

air compressor

rolling tool chest

I’ve already downsized about to my limit; really; don’t even have a coffee maker or a microwave anymore. Shud I get one? If I was younger hell; I would go back to 2 feet, backpack & a tarp…….
I’ll invert this :
What do I really need?
Water & Food;
Protection frum elements
a-clothing
b-shelter
good night’s sleep
Healthy lifestyle
But! There really can be much more to Life than mere survival rather than living some Stoic, Spartan existence mirroring a Tibetan Monk you know waking every day to a Dali Lama welcome 🙏 wondering aimlessly while chanting Ohmmmmmmm……….?

U no what I really don’t need? People’s fuking bullshit; anyone that doesn’t contribute something edifying & positive to my life; that’s wtf I don’t need and living the way I do is my only hedge left to try and get the fuk away from them and the shit that follows them.

fuk, maybe I should light 1 up?
intjohnny

Last edited:
As I have gotten older it gets harder to embrace the things around you that make you smile. Vision, hearing, even being able to physically get to things has me spending more time remembering what it felt like rather than actually experiencing them once again. It takes a lot of effort on my part but the rewards are getting fewer. Just another set of challenges to over come, so get with it! Lol!!!

This is tougher than it seems at first glance.
{snip}
If you had said "don't really need", it would be simple. But "never need" is hard when you've seen people make interesting choices over the years here.

It's really just for fun and the word 'never' has a better 'fit' (for alliteration!) than the words 'don't really' or 'seldom'....

Its up to you how to compile your list! Totally subjective. Have fun with it. :cool:

Engine powered concrete mixer.
Yep… mine left here with my son this morning… this downsizing is kind of fun. On the extension ladder I’d add tall to it… those will stay here. But I’m with Doug. I need something to service solar and roof…
Plow truck is gone too…
Air compressor is being traded with bil for a smaller one… that is needed in pirate camp… many uses…
A big this I don’t need is cold weather!!! I got chilled and it kicked my butt this morning!!!

This is just for fun! It's not a 'Top Ten', its a 'Never Needed Nine'!

I thought some of us might appreciate 'lightening the load' figuratively and literally...

Nine Things Nomads Never Need:

1 Lawnmower

2 File cabinet

3 Garage door repair tools

4 Wheelbarrow

5 Carpet cleaning machine

6 Attic insulation

7 House numbers on the mailbox

8 Leaf rake

9 China cabinet

Anyone want to add to the list?

Doesn't have to be nine....but if you can think of nine...then that's nine extra points!

Have fun!
No ND to pay rent or mortgage

No need for salt for snow

No need iron or board

Don't need a sitter. Id watch my kids

Don't really ND an alarm ⏰

No ND to worry about going to custody court. They can't find us and I hav full cust lol

Don't ND to communicate if Don't want

Don't ND flashy gadgets (unless you want)

No pain in ass HOA LOL

No need to clean pool

Nosey neighbors. You can easily find new ones. Or none at all!

I have been minimillizing for the second time now. It's amazing the mental relief I got by the elimination of stuff that has no purpose except to look at, and collect dust.

Latest posts