Nine things nomads never need!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... Unless we seriously change what we want to do with our lives minute to minute, I don't see that much to cut out. What I do see is a massive amount of duplication I can do without. I don't need a stepladder in the kitchen, the attic and the garage. I don't need a sink in the kitchen and the bathroom. I don't need extra linens and towels, 30 pairs of shoes, a box of hair products or hardware I've set aside because I don't love them but "maybe someday I'll need them". I still need these things, but 1 or maybe 2 will suffice.

eDJ says I can’t bring my rolling tool chest. So I took the wheels off! Haha!
This year I did go back to my three drawer chest on top. No more extra extra tools… well, some but I think that’ll be at least 100# lighter. And going to a smaller pancake style air compressor…
Um, and the table saw is staying home…
I did put together a little trailer to pull with wheeler to dump tanks and fill water. I will use a pump for both… Kira won’t give up her spot for the tank on the wheeler…

^^^I started out towing a red ( same color as my tool box even) Honda Civic with all the interior taken out except the driver’s seat so not only could I bring my tools and air compressor but also my torch and tanks!

Self-storage unit
Snow shovel
Feather duster
65-piece silverware set
Swimming pool cover
Patio furniture
Roll-around tool chest
Leaf blower
Gardener
House painter
Fence
I still need a snow shovel. Have went to sleep with clear sky & woke up to 30" of snow.

5) Dishwasher
I've seen people online with countertop dishwashers in their rigs. I could see them making sense if you have lots of solar capacity (or are always on shore power), since they would theoretically take less water than washing everything by hand. It's easier to get more power from the sun than always getting and disposing of water, so using more power for less water seems reasonable enough. However, I have a feeling that most nomads don't use much water when washing dishes anyway. We know we can't just fill up the entire sink and leave the water running to rinse everything.

I've seen people online with countertop dishwashers in their rigs. I could see them making sense if you have lots of solar capacity (or are always on shore power), since they would theoretically take less water than washing everything by hand. It's easier to get more power from the sun than always getting and disposing of water, so using more power for less water seems reasonable enough. However, I have a feeling that most nomads don't use much water when washing dishes anyway. We know we can't just fill up the entire sink and leave the water running to rinse everything.
No, nomads try to conserve as much as possible.

I didn't know that dishwashers use less water than hand washing. Interesting.

I've seen people online with countertop dishwashers in their rigs. I could see them making sense if you have lots of solar capacity (or are always on shore power), since they would theoretically take less water than washing everything by hand. It's easier to get more power from the sun than always getting and disposing of water, so using more power for less water seems reasonable enough. However, I have a feeling that most nomads don't use much water when washing dishes anyway. We know we can't just fill up the entire sink and leave the water running to rinse everythingl
I have been living full time in my cargo van for 9 months. Wash dishes, silverware, pots with straight vinegar in a small spray bottle. If there is grease, butter ect in the pot or pan l wipe that out thoroughly 1st then if needed put a little water in a pan to soak any stuck on food while l eat. This water is easily absorbed by a paper towel and not pored on the ground. Use paper towels or inexpensive napkins to wipe/wash everything after spraying with the vinegar. The paper towels/napkins are minimal expense and l'm not having to deal with smelly, greasy cloths. To each his own. 😃👍

Latest posts