Newby and Starting in Mid October

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPalmer69

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Scott and I will be starting my new adventure in mid October.
Not in a van but rather a 2010 Chevy Equinox.
I will spare you the details of why I am choosing to do this at the age of 49 years old. I am both excited and anxious.
I'm excited because I've always been heavily into camping (mostly tent and hammock camping) and have always had a nomadic side to me. I'm one of the most kind and respectful men you will meet but have always liked my alone time. Maybe this is due to the fact that I raised both of my kids myself lol I've found that the older I'm getting, the more people get on my nerves. I mean, as far as the rudeness and dis-respectfulness of today's society. The bickering on every topic under the sun has just completely worn me out mentally.

I say I'm anxious because of the unknown. I've been studying this for months. I'm prepared one day and freaking out the next lol I realize that this is totally normal in most cases. The only other thing I am worried about is the downright COLD Ohio winter nights. I figure I am good down to 20 degrees or so with what clothing and gear I have. Anything below that, if I start getting concerned.......I can always grab a hotel room and have had a handful of friends telling me to hit them up when that point of concern hits. 

Clearing out my house over the next month and a half. Not much room in the Equinox for storage. All furniture and appliances....gone. Most of the wardrobe....gone. My camping gear....gone. I will be staying around here locally because I can't afford to leave the job I currently have because it is a good paying job (even though I'm so burnt out and no longer like it) and plan to pay some debt off and save some money up at the same time. I've never been real good with managing my money so we will see how this all goes. No set timetable for this lifestyle. Just gonna jump in and see how it goes. I also have two beautiful granddaughters who I love with every fiber of my heart and will never leave them. Very close to them. 

Having said all of this, I would like to know if there is anyone else on here who is doing this in the Cincinnati/Dayton area. To be specific, I am in Middletown, Ohio. Right in between those two cities on I-75.

I'm very excited to be here and look forward to good conversation and discovering new tips and tricks that I haven't thought of yet.

Scott Palmer

Welcome to the CRVL forums Scott! Yes, it's totally normal to be a little anxious so don't worry too much about that. Plus you can always go back to some type of stationary life if vandwelling doesn't work for you.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums Scott!  Yes, it's totally normal to be a little anxious so don't worry too much about that. Plus you can always go back to some type of stationary life if vandwelling doesn't work for you.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank ya RVW!

Hi!
I like that you're kind and respectful, and that you raised both kids by yourself!!
Yes...it seems most people's behaviors are annoying these days...
Best of luck to you!

Gardenias said:
Hi!
I like that you're kind and respectful, and that you raised both kids by yourself!!
Yes...it seems most people's behaviors are annoying these days...
Best of luck to you!

Thank you! :)