New van owner and traveler.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oVWo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

A little background first. I just graduated this May. I have always loved change and love meeting people and experiencing new places. So I decided that I will travel the country until I decide I want to settle down somewhere. I just bought a 1995 e250 coachmen van. Has pretty much everything I need plus it doesn't look like a camper. I am debating on stripping the vinyls and taking off the side steps to make it look less camper like.

Anyways, it has alot of work done recently. Has new toilet, fridge, tires, brakes, ball joints, spark plugs, wires, distributor, fuel filter, floor, etc etc It has all the regular camper hookups, backup battery, fresh,grey, and black water storage. Sink with pump, fridge with invertor to run on backup battery that is charged through the engine.

Hitting the road on Jan 15th and headed to a ski resort in Colorado to work for the season. Then who knows where.

Im new to this so I want to make sure im fully prepared for what im about to get into. Some things I have on my list of things to buy/park are.

-Cargo hitch carrier (for 2-20lbs propane tanks, basic tools, extra gas, etc.)
-Propane stove
-Mr heater
-CO detector
-Dog bone 15amp to 30amp converter
-Battery powered light

Any other essentials I might need? I plan on traveling and camping off the system as much as I can. Maybe camping in random rv parks if needed.

Some things I want to do in the long run would be solar power system, high efficiency fridge (engel, etc), internal propane tank.

What do you think?!

txYA1w2.png

ojn7AKq.png

3gyrAOrl.jpg

pJbzsoSl.jpg

ez2oSXNl.jpg

imekm0ll.jpg

aJJwRMYl.jpg

Turn the passenger seat around and then find what you need for a foot stool to make it a comfortable place to sit and read or work on a computer. Also a lamp over the passenger seat for reading and a folding table for in front of it. I live in a similar vehicle and have found that being able to sit comfortably is VERY important. I use a milk crate with a chair pad on it and another milk crate upended between the seats for a table. I'm a bit primitive, so the milk crates are fine for me, but I mention them for sizing if you want to look for nicer.

The biggest problem I see with your setup is you have to make the bed before you can use it,

corky52 said:
Turn the passenger seat around and then find what you need for a foot stool to make it a comfortable place to sit and read or work on a computer. Also a lamp over the passenger seat for reading and a folding table for in front of it. I live in a similar vehicle and have found that being able to sit comfortably is VERY important. I use a milk crate with a chair pad on it and another milk crate upended between the seats for a table. I'm a bit primitive, so the milk crates are fine for me, but I mention them for sizing if you want to look for nicer.

The biggest problem I see with your setup is you have to make the bed before you can use it,

Thats one thing I wish it had. Front seats that where on a swivel. But your suggesting to just turn it around and bolt it down the other way? I could definitely see the importance of having a comfortable place to sit! Thanks for the suggestions. Ill have to see what i can do for that. Yeah, I will probably have to make the bed before i sleep but I can sleep on the bed as is without turning it into a full size bed. Thats what the previous owner did and had no problem. But i haven't spent a night in it yet so we will see how it is after the first night. Thanks again!

Have you figured out a way to keep the propane outside and feed the hose into the van without a huge cold air leak?

You might also want to look into adding a Camp Chief Triton water heater and a rigging to make a shower, maybe a pan/tub with shower curtain in back area.

Corky

I don't know for sure, but I think the bolt holes are there in the floor for a captains chair and you can usually find them on craigslist fairly cheap, $60 to $150. That would be money well spent, a place to sit at anytime even when the bed is setup.

Also do you have a TV and DVD player?

Corky

I also notice you don't have a water hose on your list, much cheaper and easier get right now than up on a mountain. A good heavy duty food grade hose, twenty five feet plus.

Corky

corky52 said:
Have you figured out a way to keep the propane outside and feed the hose into the van without a huge cold air leak?

You might also want to look into adding a Camp Chief Triton water heater and a rigging to make a shower, maybe a pan/tub with shower curtain in back area.

Corky

I don't know for sure, but I think the bolt holes are there in the floor for a captains chair and you can usually find them on craigslist fairly cheap, $60 to $150. That would be money well spent, a place to sit at anytime even when the bed is setup.

Also do you have a TV and DVD player?

Corky

I also notice you don't have a water hose on your list, much cheaper and easier get right now than up on a mountain. A good heavy duty food grade hose, twenty five feet plus.

Corky

For the propane I was just going to use it to refill 1lb bottles for Mr hater and portable stove. I can only do so much for the time I have to pack and leave. I do plan on finding a better and more efficient way of doing it down the road as I go.

I know it originally had a water heater but I know it doesnt work. I will have to investigate and try to fix that before I leave. I was thinking for showers just use the ones at the resort I am working at until I figure out a system for my van. But I will look into that water heater! Thanks for the suggestion.

I do have a tv that i plan on mounting to the wall on a swivel so it can sit flat when needed.

A water hose? A garden hose? I do have a garden hose. Do I need more then that? And for what reason?

**I was going to use the 20lbs tanks to refill the 1lbs tanks.

Garden hose will work, but most parks want you use a white food grade one and they don't put a taste in the water.

Propane plan sounds OK, keeping much propane inside is not good.

Learning and improving is a given in this lifestyle.

The RV water heater isn't cheap to either fix or replace, so don't waste time on it right now. You'll run into some of us on the road that might help you with it later. The water heater I mentioned is a mod that is cheap, about $120.

Does the rig have a shower space, I didn't see one, great if it does.

Looking at the pictures of the chairs, you might just buy a swivel and mount the chair on it, You'll have to look when you have time. You can buy just swivels, they're pretty cheap.

Corky

Welcome to the CRVL forums! Nice rig! Make sure you get a lock for your cargo hitch carrier and locks for your propane tanks and anything else you're storing there.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

That's a really slick unit. I'd say your off to a great start.

Try a weekend trip for a shake down run.

Congratulations on your new home! It looks like it's been well cared for. The exterior seems to be in very good condition so I'd leave the stripes on.

Unless you'll be staying somewhere with electric hookups once you get to Colorado you should drain and winterize the water system and plan on using the facilities where you'll be working- if that's possible.

I agree with T & K...leave the stripes on. They look nice and taking them off will be a bigger chore than you can possibly imagine. Plus, they very well may leave big shadows of where they were, not to mention, leaving gobs of adhesive residue all over the place, which is a huge pain to get off. (I'm in the sign business...I know what I'm talking about.)

As for the shower...yeah, if the resort has showers you can use, then that's definitely the way to go!! Nice long, hot showers??? You ain't gonna get that in your van!

Where are you from?? What kinda of degree did you get??

Looks like you're off to a great start!!
Welcome to the board! :D

corky52 said:
Garden hose will work, but most parks want you use a white food grade one and they don't put a taste in the water.

Propane plan sounds OK, keeping much propane inside is not good.

Learning and improving is a given in this lifestyle.

The RV water heater isn't cheap to either fix or replace, so don't waste time on it right now. You'll run into some of us on the road that might help you with it later. The water heater I mentioned is a mod that is cheap, about $120.

Does the rig have a shower space, I didn't see one, great if it does.

Looking at the pictures of the chairs, you might just buy a swivel and mount the chair on it, You'll have to look when you have time. You can buy just swivels, they're pretty cheap.

Corky

I see what you meant now. I did some research and found out the green garden hoses are not good to drink out of! thanks for that!

And i agree, I am using propane for the time being until I get a solar panel system. Until then mr heater and a stove with a CO detector will have to do. Ill be sure to use plenty of ventilation.

Dang, thats unfortunate to hear about the heater. Im hoping I can use the resorts showers until I come up with a solution. Ill look into that water heater though. Thank you. And no no shower :(

Ill have to find a swivel! I am staying in the van tonight and I already need a nice place to sit and a table!

cyndi said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums! Nice rig! Make sure you get a lock for your cargo hitch carrier and locks for your propane tanks and anything else you're storing there.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

copy that! Thank you. Im looking into getting a storage box for it.

Bdog1 said:
That's a really slick unit. I'd say your off to a great start.

Try a weekend trip for a shake down run.

Testing it out this weekend. Already helped me start realizing things that i need and change.

tonyandkaren said:
Congratulations on your new home! It looks like it's been well cared for. The exterior seems to be in very good condition so I'd leave the stripes on.

Unless you'll be staying somewhere with electric hookups once you get to Colorado you should drain and winterize the water system and plan on using the facilities where you'll be working- if that's possible.

Thank you! Yeah im excited I think I got a great rig especially for a starting platform.

How do I winterize the water system? I am planning on using it but i dont want the cold to cause any problems.

Patrick46 said:
I agree with T & K...leave the stripes on. They look nice and taking them off will be a bigger chore than you can possibly imagine. Plus, they very well may leave big shadows of where they were, not to mention, leaving gobs of adhesive residue all over the place, which is a huge pain to get off. (I'm in the sign business...I know what I'm talking about.)

As for the shower...yeah, if the resort has showers you can use, then that's definitely the way to go!! Nice long, hot showers??? You ain't gonna get that in your van!

Where are you from?? What kinda of degree did you get??

Looks like you're off to a great start!!
Welcome to the board! :D

Copy that, stripes are staying on! Yeah im taking full advantage of the sources I have at the resort!

Im from florida! And I graduated SCAD with a degree in Industrial Design.

Thanks again! Im excited to finally be a part of it.

akrvbob said:
Great looking rig and a great plan!!

I would give serious thought to a big tool box to put on your hitch haul to keep your bottles safe--out of sight is out of mind. I bought a big contractors box at Home Depot that fit mine perfectly and I believe would hold 2 20 pound bottles. Post about it here:
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/using-hitch-haul-cargo-carrier-receiver-hitch-extra-cargo-space/

Here are pics of the box:
hh-boxes-on.jpg

Thats a great idea. I was thinking of getting one of those? Home depot is on the list for tomorrow! Thanks! How do you keep people from stealing the whole box from your hitch?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585
The above plastic tub, a shower curtain and the water heater I gave you earlier will let you shower in your van if you want.

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/products.php?product_id=1615
The above is a link to one of the places I've gotten pedestals for seats from.

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/products.php?product_id=1614
These straps help you put the pedestal and seat together, save lots of fab work.

WalMart has several cheap wooden folding tables, about $10 if I remember correctly.

Corky

"How do I winterize the water system? I am planning on using it but i dont want the cold to cause any problems."

I'm not familiar with the construction of camper vans but most RVs are not designed to be used in the winter. Fresh water tanks are usually inside and will be safe from freezing as long as you have a source of heat however pipes that run along exterior walls will freeze. Most grey and black water tanks are exposed to the outside air and will freeze. The only way to safely use your water system in the winter in a cold climate is by hooking up to electricity and putting some type of skirting around the bottom of your van with a heat source to keep that area warm. The skirting will prevent you from using the van as a daily driver so it's not very practical. Campgrounds and RV parks are often closed for the winter so check on that too.

Winterizing means draining all of the water from the tanks and pipes and filling anything that might freeze like pipes and pumps with antifreeze. You can still live in your van over the winter. It just takes a bit of ingenuity. Here's how a guy who lives in Alaska does it - http://tinyhouseblog.com/yourstory/winter-rv-living-alaska/

Welcome to the forum. I like the layout of the van better than what I saw at the show this week.

Please check your Mr heater for altitude restrictions. I believe at 7000 ft the air starts being too thin for them to be used. Also if you plan on staying in the van here, it gets bitter cold up there.

oVWo (love it!),

In regards to the Mr Heater Buddy at high altitudes:

Never had a problem with it until over 10,000 feet, when it wouldn't light. Took it outside to trouble shoot and it lighted right up, no problem. Back inside the van, and within a minute, it went out. Back outside, fired right up and kept burning. Again, wouldn't work inside unless I kept it next to the open door (not just a window). I think the combination of high altitude and me and my small dog breathing, even with a window open two inches, caused the oxygen sensor to shut it down. The propane stove worked fine (it doesn't have that sensor).

I also carry a small electric space heater that I use with a heavy duty (12 gauge) 15 amp extension cord run through a small side vent window when shore power is available. It can be run 24/7 and will keep you quite comfortable.

There are numerous videos on you tube that show how to winterize your rig. Know that if you choose to use antifreeze, use one that is marked RV antifreeze.

If you are staying long term at a ski resort and temps are below freezing all the time, keeping tanks and water lines from freezing can be a constant worry. You may want to consider not using them. Under those circumstances, I drain all lines/tanks, use water in jugs (one with a spout that is set on the counter by the sink), a collapsible basin in the sink to catch wash water, and I line the toilet with heavy duty trash bags, to be disposed later when convenient.

In my E-150, a swivel won't work because the seats are installed right next to the wall/door and there isn't room to turn the seat around. I did see online a swivel base made for handicapped use that slides sideways, then turns. Pricey and I'm not sure if it will work with just any seats. May be worth a google search, though.

Btw, very nice rig! You'll change things in a way that works for you. Have fun and best wishes :)

Wow, what great advice everyone is giving!!! Amazing!

To keep your hitch haul from being stolen, you can get a standard pin that goes in your receiver hitch that has a lock on it. A key will go in the end and unlock it. You can get them anywhere, Walmart has them and should be the cheapest.
Bob

Thanks for all the tips and tricks guys! It is helping me a ton to prepare for this trip. I have located the gray, black and fresh water tanks. All of them are located on the inside of the van. If I am connected to shore power and I am able to run a ceramic heater most of the time I should be okay using the water correct?

I was also thinking about using a small space heater

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16503222?...32137752&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81188936552&veh=sem

under my bed which is where black and fresh water tanks are located to keep them from freezing when not plugged into shore power. and also one under the sink where the gray water is located. Im just not sure if my battery will power them without dying.

I also did buy a locking pin for the hitch, harbor frieght, 8 bucks. Love that place. Also bought a cargo hitch carrier for 45 bucks as well.

As well as the swivel. It does look like my seats are too close to the door.

I also have been reading about mr heater at higher altitudes. It seems under 10,000 and I shouldnt have a problem. It is kind of hit or miss though. Im hoping to have shore power so I can get a ceramic heater and not have to worry about it as well as a stove.

jsSJtnZl.jpg

I put up one of those shoe storage door hanger on the wall next to the toilet for extra storage of random stuff.

HjwYZBol.jpg

My garbage can in its rightful place. Velco

tUsREaxl.jpg

I also put another one of the shoe hanger behind passenger chair. Helps organize random little things. Its great. Also that white bar along the top is where I am going to hang cloths (between the seats) since there is no where else to hang them.

ZKqOMpul.jpg

I put hooks on bottom of kitchen cabinet to hang mugs to save counter and drawer space. I also bought these ritelights? They use AAA batterys. I bought three of them and placed them throughout so I don't need to run the extra battery on the van using the main lights.

Thanks again everyone for the supportive advice and warm welcome! Keep em coming! Im taken all the help I can get.

oVWo,

Unfortunately, as far as I can find, any electric heater will drain your battery very quickly. The ones I have seen draw 11-12.5 amps. If your tanks are inside, though, and you keep the interior warm, they should be fine.

If you are connected to an outside water source with the white hose, that hose and connections will need protecting from freezing. Many people use pipe insulation on the hose (Home Depot/Lowe's/et al) and wrap the faucet, like on a house. The only problem I ever had was the valve on the black water tank froze shut, and there were ice plugs at the incoming water hose brass fittings. I wrapped the dump valve areas with a piece of a water heater blanket and that worked. I also wrapped the water connections more heavily. My RV is parked in an RV park and they ask us to drip faucets during a hard freeze so I do (it's their water bill). So far so good. Where I am rarely gets below mid-20's for more than a day so if you are at a ski resort, I assume it will be colder for longer periods and you may need to do more. I defer to those with lower temperature experience with that. There is such a thing as a heated hose, and heat tape that you can wrap around your hose, but they are expensive and the reviews aren't so great. Also, the electrical cord on them is short, the warranty is voided if you use an extension cord, so your water faucet and electrical outlet must be very close to each other to use a heated hose. Which is why I don't have one.

You have hit on the two big challenges on RV living in extreme environments: maintaining your personal comfort and the integrity of your rig. This is why I suggested avoiding even using those features because some days, I just get tired of dealing with it all. It's also why I love my home made simple van, no plumbing, no batteries, no worries :)

I see you're figuring it out! It's fun for us old timers to watch a new timer learn to walk. I wish you happy times and great successes!

Alright guys! so i have been giving some thought into going to colorado. I dont think its a very suitable place for a first time van dweller. Im a local florida and honestly when it hits the 60 i start to bring out the heavy jackets. So instead I think I might head up to Chattanooga or ashville to find work. Any recommendations? And thanks again everyone you have been such a great help!

ReQtlhtl.jpg

Testing it out! Its all coming together!