New chick - no idea what I'm doing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
muddy said:
Well, isn't that always the way. "You don't have to be ready, you just have to go" - Joe Abercrombie.

An Abercrombie quote gets you +1 Reputation! :D

“Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he's a lover.”
― Joe Abercrombie

waverider1987 said:
Ya I recommend doing something like that if you're nervous.  It's actually not as big of a deal as your mind will make you think it is, if yours is anything like mine...full of doubt and worry, ha. I can actually say that week was the happiest I've felt in many many months...maybe years.

This is awesome to hear, thanks for the update.  I'm a planner by nature and I'm in total control of everything, so doing something like this would take time to get past that usual doubt and worry.

I think I might try a trial run as well......take some time off and hit the road.  Then when I get a taste of it then I will be more ready to make it happen full time.

Cheli said:
This is awesome to hear, thanks for the update.  I'm a planner by nature and I'm in total control of everything, so doing something like this would take time to get past that usual doubt and worry.

I think I might try a trial run as well......take some time off and hit the road.  Then when I get a taste of it then I will be more ready to make it happen full time.

Ya, do a trial run.  Just got back from a one-nighter in a small town about 2 hours away.  Just drove up there friday night, stayed the night at wal-mart, woke up, took a look around town, then drove back this evening.  Would've stayed longer but got family stuff to do tommorrow.  I think the hardest thing for me, leaving for the first time, was the idea of spending the night in my car someplace other than a campground (Been camping a lot).  Urban boon docking is very much a new experience, but something that's worth doing.  I guess I've now done it 5 times, each time at a different wal mart.  Just make your car as comfortable as possible and it'll be nice.  I'm not looking forward to the heat, cuz i don't think i can urban boondock when it's hot out, since I wouldn't feel safe rolling my windows down to let the breeze in, I'd have to find someplace to camp.  But I have looked into swamp coolers, so, maybe...

waverider1987 said:
Ya, do a trial run.  Just got back from a one-nighter in a small town about 2 hours away.  Just drove up there friday night, stayed the night at wal-mart, woke up, took a look around town, then drove back this evening.  Would've stayed longer but got family stuff to do tommorrow.  I think the hardest thing for me, leaving for the first time, was the idea of spending the night in my car someplace other than a campground (Been camping a lot).  Urban boon docking is very much a new experience, but something that's worth doing.  I guess I've now done it 5 times, each time at a different wal mart.  Just make your car as comfortable as possible and it'll be nice.  I'm not looking forward to the heat, cuz i don't think i can urban boondock when it's hot out, since I wouldn't feel safe rolling my windows down to let the breeze in, I'd have to find someplace to camp.  But I have looked into swamp coolers, so, maybe...

Swamp coolers do not work too good where the humidity is high, Like the east coast in the summer, they work best out in the dry deserts of the west.
I have used them before but you need a supply of water for them that might be an issue.

I think the heater core and cooler of ice is more promising than swamp cooler.

Oh ya...the second one I've seen...that's what I was thinking :) maybe "swamp cooler" was the wrong term...heh.

A swamp cooler is evaporative.

The second unit is not ideal because it adds humidity.

The first unit is better. You want something that uses a heater core and that collects the condensation.
Here is a diagram of Off Grid 24/7's unit (his A/C unit haha):
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-12-volt-AC?pid=141867#pid141867

I have heard that blocks of ice work have more cooling power than cubed ice.

Not gonna read back through, but iirc you have a 4-runner?

7780a98626b6d4be530e806139de3b85.jpg
ad08aeae5d18af924082b41ad75f87ef.jpg

BradKW said:
Not gonna read back through, but iirc you have a 4-runner?

7780a98626b6d4be530e806139de3b85.jpg
ad08aeae5d18af924082b41ad75f87ef.jpg

Very nice setup you have. That was the setup I was originally going to go with until I decided I wanted to have my bed indoors in-case of extended rain or cold weather

Nice! Yes, I have a 4runner that's serving as my little conversion camper right now but I'm saving to get a real one because I want to live in it full time :)

I just found out on saturday that a very close friend of mine killed herself. She was only 35. A bright light in this world, touched many hearts which are now broken.

I know that she would want me to do this thing...now I have no excuse not to. The plan is set, action is in motion. This is going to happen, and soon.

It always sucks to lose a good friend , especially at such a young age...........
I'm glad you are deciding to make the jump to this lifestyle for her !
May you never be disappointed.

waverider1987 said:
I just found out on saturday that a very close friend of mine killed herself.  She was only 35.  A bright light in this world, touched many hearts which are now broken.

I know that she would want me to do this thing...now I have no excuse not to.  The plan is set, action is in motion.  This is going to happen, and soon.
Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend. :(

I am also new to this lifestyle but I am now living in my van and I'm learning by trial and error what will work or not work. Good luck and I wish you all the best life has to offer.

VanGrrl57

It's funny that I made that original post 2 years ago, and yet my feelings are still exactly the same. I did end up getting my conversion high top van. I've done more solo trips and with my S.O., sleeping in the van and boondocking. Now I'm getting ready to go to the RTR in January. I have no plans for after that. I may try and find a job to keep me traveling. It's hard now that I'm in a relationship but this lifestyle is something I've also always wanted. I wouldn't ask for her to leave the life she is comfortable with and loves, so I don't think it's fair that I have to settle into a lifestyle that I feel is limiting and constricting. It's time to fly...

Intimidating to make the leap for sure... It took me forever to finally buy an RV and move into yet. I think the younger you are the easier the transition might be. Older habits and long term life styles are very hard to break. Good luck on your adventure!