Need a mattress for my sleeping platform...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldwolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this question. I am looking for a mattress to go on my 26" wide bed platform in my van.
I am looking at this one from Amazon. There are many others similar but more expensive also on Amazon. Maybe they are better, not sure yet.
This one is 24" wide which is probably okay. The outer cover is washable, a plus in my book.
Do any of you use this type of mattress? Seems like it would be reasonably comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNX9LH...olid=14NXO6JFJ6FYR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Wish I could help. I went to a mattress store to buy mine (10" latex). The best way to try before you buy. Sleeping comfort is not the place to pinch too many pennies. You spend a third of your life there. Better sleep to me equals better quality of life.

Oldwolf said:
Not sure where to put this question. I am looking for a mattress to go on my 26" wide bed platform in my van.
I am looking at this one from Amazon. There are many others similar but more expensive also on Amazon. Maybe they are better, not sure yet.
This one is 24" wide which is probably okay. The outer cover is washable, a plus in my book.
Do any of you use this type of mattress? Seems like it would be reasonably comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNX9LH...olid=14NXO6JFJ6FYR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I think 2" is a bit thin for a platform bed. And I like a pretty firm bed. 

Were it me, I'd be looking for at least 3" of thickness. I bought a 4" tri-fold foam mattress for a similar price for my platform, and it is really comfortable.

When I stayed with someone in a camper, I got relegated to the dinette bed, but I could not fold up tight enough to get comfortable on the 4'x 5' bed (with the table down). I laid two 3" thick 4' long 24" wide backrests end to end, and slept on the floor. I slept OK, but the width wasn't wide enough, and the thickness wasn't thick enough for my 5'10" 185# frame.

I think you will regret not getting at least 26" wide (to match your platform), and may opt for 27", or 28" wide just so your elbows aren't out in space. 2" thick is not enough, I would go a minimum of 4" for good sleep.

Thanks for all of the great pointers everyone.
Do you feel the fold-points on the tri-fold mattresses when laying on them?
Kinda seems like they would gap a bit when sleeping.

Some of the comments indicate that the washable covers on these mattresses are not too durable. Maybe I could use a summer-weight sleeping bag as a mattress cover? What have you guys found concerning the durability of the mattress covers that come with tri-folds?

You want your shoulders to land on a solid area and also your hips. A three section mattress meets that criteria. So the answer is that those joints won't bother you when you lie down because they are not directly under your hips or your shoulders.

The shape and size of a sleeping bag will determine if it will fit over the tri-fold mattress. Sleeping bags come in such a wide variety of sizes the only way to know if it will work is to look at the measurements of the sleeping bag. Remember that the bags are measured when they are laying flat but your mattress will be several inches thick so you have to account for that when choosing a bag for a cover.

What I did for a cover on a 26" wide mattress was to go the fabric store and get some 60 inch wide fabric. Bought a length about a foot longer than the length of the mattress. Doing a little sewing I turned in into what looks like a giant sized pillow case. To do that I folded it in half lengthwise, sewed across the bottom end and up the long side. Turned over the edges at the top so that the raw edge of the material was not exposed and stitched that down. If you know how to put in zippers then you should do that instead of leaving the end open. It you can't sew then you could get a friend to do it or hire someone to make it. If you can sew but don't have a machine then check in at a local senior center, they usually have a sewing machine or two on hand. You don't have to be a senior or a member to visit a senior center. But do remember to offer them a donation if you can afford to do so. They have a lot of overhead cost and do rely on donations.

IMO 2.5 inches is not thick enough for full time use. you need a thicker mattress. highdesertranger

Ask Al at rollingsteeltent he got a comfy bed

highdesertranger said:
IMO 2.5 inches is not thick enough for full time use.  you need a thicker mattress.  highdesertranger

Yes, the 4" seems to be a better solution. It's always a question of space optimization it seems. I have 14" clearance under my bunk, enough for some fairly large plastic storage boxes. Above the wood bunk, iirc, I have about 34" of clearance. Sounds like a lot, but I still can't sit up straight in bed. Add the 4" of mattress (which will collapse some under weight) and my 34" of clearance is less.

Of course, my wife says "Why do you need to sit up straight in your bed?". Good point, I guess. :-/

Maki2 - Great ideas. My wife is an accomplished seamstress, I am sure she could easily put together a nice mattress cover if I couldn't get the sleeping bag idea to work out.

I am finding there are 4" mattresses with a thick layer of regular foam plus a thinner layer of memory foam, all adds up to 4".
Then there are mattresses with 4" of regular foam.
I've never slept on memory foam, and am wondering if I would benefit from it.

Most of the comments above seem to be from happy campers with all foam mattresses...

I think you will realize that the foam goes flat about the time the mattress cover wears out. The Tri-folds like many inexpensive foam mattress need to be replaced fairly often. How often depends on how often you use them. Of course if you have a substantial body weight you will not want to get one of them anyway as you will bottom out with your hip hard against the base.

Oldwolf said:
I am finding there are 4" mattresses with a thick layer of regular foam plus a thinner layer of memory foam, all adds up to 4".
Then there are mattresses with 4" of regular foam.
I've never slept on memory foam, and am wondering if I would benefit from it.

Most of the comments above seem to be from happy campers with all foam mattresses...

Foam is very comfortable, if a bit hot in the summer.

These cheaper foam mattresses do need to be replaced every couple years or so, depending on your weight and their composition. But - they're cheap!

In two years' time you might decide you like van dwelling enough to splurge on a really good foam mattress. But in the meantime - try out the cheaper-but-adequate option.