Budget friendly 2000Watt pure sine wave inverter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobOfYork

Reaction score
It's time for me to select the inverter I am going to be using. I need a 2000watt pure sine wave inverter but it needs to be fairly budget friendly.

These are the two I am looking at.

Renogy 2000w

Amazon.com: Renogy 2000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Battery Converter, ETL Listed with Built-in 5V/2.1A USB port,and AC Hardwire Port Solar Power Inverter

GoWise 2000w

Amazon.com: GoWISE Power 2000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 12V DC to 120V AC with 3 AC Outlets + 1 5V USB Port, Remote Switch and 2 Battery Cables (4000W Peak) PS1003: Automotive

Any opinions on these? Or have a better recommendation as far as what inverter to buy?

I'm slowly getting there. :)

Well I looked at that Renogy when I was in the market and it had a lot more bad reviews on Amazon. Somehow they cleaned them up. That other one I have no idea as I never even heard of them. Maybe a knock off of Go Power? Highdesertranger

Something I had to consider was you may be better off to use more than one inverter. Running a large 2000 watt inverter with larger internal energy losses as well as a bigger fan to run a 350 watt load is not very efficient use of energy. With my smaller system it made sense to use multiple inverters or the generator for higher short term loads. The smaller inverters were also less expensive.

My findings have been that cheaper inverters are not worth it. I never got the wattage on the label, sometimes half.

I have a Samlex 1000W PSW and it has had no issues. Currently, it is overkill for running a 350 watt rice cooker.

A 2000W PSW Samlex is $399.80 @ Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Samlex-America-Solar-SSW-2000-12A-Inverter/dp/B004OU99UE

I was automating temperature control on a dorm fridge at the time, and I contacted customer support to find out what voltages were present on the remote signal lines. The fellow that answered my query was very helpful, and quite happy to have a request that was not the usual fare.

bullfrog said:
Something I had to consider was you may be better off to use more than one inverter. Running a large 2000 watt inverter with larger internal energy losses as well as a bigger fan to run a 350 watt load is not very efficient use of energy. With my smaller system it made sense to use multiple inverters or the generator for higher short term loads. The smaller inverters were also less expensive.

Thank you. I like this idea. I can run a desktop computer off a 1000w inverter when needed. It only has a 460watt power supply. Then any kitchen appliances off a second 2000w inverter. Pressure cooker pulls 1200watts but usually for no more than 10 minutes.

Thanks for mentioning it.

wayne49 said:
My findings have been that cheaper inverters are not worth it. I never got the wattage on the label, sometimes half.

I would love to get a more expensive inverter but my build budget is just about depleted. So I am stuck with having to get a budget inverter.

highdesertranger said:
Well I looked at that Renogy when I was in the market and it had a lot more bad reviews on Amazon.  Somehow they cleaned them up.  That other one I have no idea as I never even heard of them.  Maybe a knock off of Go Power?  Highdesertranger

I found the GoWise one being recommended by Will Prowse on his site and youtube channel.

highdesertranger said:
Well I looked at that Renogy when I was in the market and it had a lot more bad reviews on Amazon.  Somehow they cleaned them up.  That other one I have no idea as I never even heard of them.  Maybe a knock off of Go Power?  Highdesertranger
Yeah you know how bad reviews get "cleaned" mysteriously...
Renogy: "Hey Amazon, do you want our ad revenue, delete these comments..."

Budget and PSW don't really go together unless your budget is about 3x mine. To each their own though.

You dont need a PSW (pure sine wave) inverter to run resistive heating/cooking appliances: appliances that heat with a heating element only, no compressors, no fans, no microprocessors.

You can use a cheaper modified sine wave inverter to power things like electric griddles, toasters, crock pots etc, because they almost always have 'resistive' heating, no fans or motors, no electronic microprocessors, etc. 

But you should use a pure sine wave inverter for 'sensitive' electronics, such as a laptop computer, a microwave, flat panel TV etc. If you dont plan to power a microwave on an inverter, you can get by with a nice lower wattage PSW inverter for your electronics, and a big ol cheaper but stout MSW (modified sine wave)  inverter for cooking appliances such as your pressure cooker. 

This will result in reliability thru redundancy, and assuming you have sufficient battery capacity, you might even be able to use both at the same time for different devices.

Have you checked WZRELB power inverters? They have good pure sine wave power inverters and they are reliable and affordable too. Only downside is the country of origin, which is China.

If you are considering Renogy stuff, check out their Ebay store.
I saved hundreds on my batteries and inverter getting them there.
They also have frequent sales if you get on their mailing list, plus they give you a 5% discount.
As far as large inverters eating up battery with idle current. I'm not seeing a ton of that happening with my 3000W Renogy inverter.
But then I suppose how much that matters depends on how you are charging your battery bank. And if you have challenges meeting your power budget.

One thing to keep in mind when reading inverter reviews is installation mistakes. Many inverters come supplied with undersized cables which causes the inverter to shut down with an under voltage fault when running a big load. Copper cables are expensive but the sellers would avoid many returns by supplying proper cables. A battery with insufficient capacity or poor connections will also cause a low voltage fault. Another common problem is ground fault that is often caused by wiring issues on the AC side.

Greetings. After much deliberation in your same situation. I also went with a samuelux .The reason being is I believe the S in the model number is for solar and a tolerates voltage swings so it doesn't shut down the inverter for over voltage maybe take a look at the high voltage disconnect values. I seem to remember the reviews on Amazon when I was shopping about the inverters shutting down on solar for over voltage on some of the other models particularly from China. But if my old brain serves me correctly I do believe the samuelux was on some of the satellites maybe went to the moon or something and that that just sold me the only bad thing about the samuelux is the battery connectors for the inverter .They may have changed it since I bought mine.Buy high quality stuff quality stuff just get a remote and you're good to go. Hope that helps River PS I use Google speech so if the punctuation is not quite right blame it on Google