Yep, that's right, more potty talk...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
I hadn't really planned on having any facilities onboard other than a #1 bottle.
I was looking for something the other day on Amazon and this popped up:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KPFC1R...olid=1ODC36DNV3D23&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Which after looking into I came across a Dometic version:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00194F0C...olid=1ODC36DNV3D23&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Which then of course led me to a Camco model:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074YW746...olid=1ODC36DNV3D23&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Just wondering if any one has one of these or something similar in their van that they use regularly.
Seems good for #1's, easy to use a bag in for #2's, and fairly small footprints.

I had something like this given to me and it works.... but it is big and still smells bad. It is a pain to empty. It is better then my bucket, bag and kitty litter, but it doesn't fit in my van so .....

Uncle Todo said:
Just wondering if any one has one of these or something similar in their van that they use regularly.
Seems good for #1's, easy to use a bag in for #2's, and fairly small footprints.

I've had a Thetford Campa XG for 15 years or so. When I travelled this past summer I used it exclusively because of COVID. Thetford has been making them for decades and are good quality.

Emptying them is a hassle but it was typically about 3-4 weeks before I needed to deal with it.

The model I have holds 5.5 gallons max so it's pretty heavy when full.

I've been considering removing the passenger seat to make more room, not that I'd use the potty there per se but...

Others do it:

Plumbers  van.jpg

Attachments

• Plumbers  van.jpg
    Plumbers van.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 20
all your choices..lol.. are the exact same most of us had to make as well.

i also have eyed my passenger seat for removal and all of that space and for me that extra seat is far to valuable . in case i have a passenger.. and for future resale. i did discover that only 4 simple bolts needed to be undone and i was able to turn the seat around... it took all of 3 minutes to do... and i now have a more living room feel to the van.. and my buddy's can have a place to sit... without snuggling me on the couch/bed.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=40717

i spent a lot of money and time trying to figure out a bathroom of sorts. I'll post the link..lol

i ended up with a poobox with a bucket inside. it's fantastic.  the size is also perfect as it fits right between the front seats and so i also have a side "table" .. it seals up great and so no odor .. but i would not be stocking up on "parcels" in it either.  When i have company there it is also covered with a table cloth of sorts... you know just so it isn't in operation mode.

when out camped some place i can put the poobox into a potty tent thing and have it outside.

anyhow you can see my tribulation in the link above.

i wish i had known that way before all the testing and rebuilding...

Uncle Todo said:
I've been considering removing the passenger seat to make more room, not that I'd use the potty there per se but...

Mine is located at the left rear of the van for a couple of reasons. In hot weather the toilets can be a little smelly and the air movement from the dash vent will be toward the back of the van to help with that. My van has fixed rear windows but I'm shopping for one of the tilt-out windows to help with ventilation while stationary. That location also puts it at a good distance from where I prepare food and lounge in my reversed passenger seat.

When camped, it's easier to climb in the rear doors to use it because I usually have a bunch of stuff in the aisle between the bed and counter/storage on the opposite, door side.

Located at the rear doors makes it easier to access for emptying, cleaning and refilling.

Uncle Todo said:
You will need more privacy than is available in the cab.

I located my bucket in the cabin area, inside a utility cabinet with all the extras close at hand. A sealed stainless cannister takes care of the smellies. Some use an ammo can for this, good seal but hard on your body. 

If you have a window van you will need to consider privacy there in the cabin also. I have had bystanders peer into my van invading my privacy, can't unsee that experience.   -crofter

Oh boy another potty thread I’m so excited.!! I hate talking about it as much as I hate doing it but I can’t avoid it. I just build a simple box high enough to be comfortable with a hole in the top (and a lid of course)a shelf for a 5qt ice cream bucket. The bucket is labeled family size which always gives me a smile.Underneath that shelf there’s Storage for personal hygiene stuff. And some room for other cleaning supplies. I bought some sliders to put on the thing so I can slide it out from its corner where there’s a little more room to use it but I can’t find the sliders right now. It works, I have seen and had better but it works. Being a guy who grew up with an outhouse and a chamber bucket I guess my standards aren’t as high as some others. By using rest stops convenience stores and nature centers and parks restrooms I avoid using my own about 75% of the time. Thanks for another opportunity to talk about pooping in a bucket. God bless the nomads those with plumbing and those without.

I use a luggable loo, stashed under my bed where it's handy. For me, those cassette toilets seem like too much fuss, and too much weight. The bucket is easy to move, easy to air out, and easy to empty.

Thanks all for your valuable input. It seems to me the bucket solution will be the best route for me.
Mainly I can have a dual purpose bucket, inner bucket to doo the dooty, and out for other storage, plus move it around easily as needed.
Just trying to be mindful of as many options as I can think of while still in the planning phase.
Hoo rah!
Edit: No idea why I ended with that, don't think I've ever said it before except maybe during a drunken hootin and hollerin.

I use a foldable chair cut so that it looks like a toilet seat. Wrap a 13 gallon trash bag around the top, pour some kitty litter in the bottom before pooing, do my thing but pee is ONLY in a separate bottle, and then wipe and throw some more kitty litter on top to absorb the moisture to lessen threat of stink/leak. Swirl top of bag until it's a tight cord, then loop thru itself 3 times to keep air from coming in or out. Often put in another plastic bag. Put in a plastic carton outside and take to the trash every so often.

The foldable chair is wonderful because it takes pretty much no space when folded up, like any folding chair. It's not a permanent space commitment.

I have a Thetford port-a-pottie. I have used it a few times, maybe 3 times. I bought it because an area I was prospecting in required you to be self contained for long term stays and they considered them to be self contained. cat holes and buckets were not allowed. however in some places like the LTVA's they do not consider it as self contained.

like others have said they are kinda a pain. when dumping them you get up close and personnel with your poop.

I plan on installing waste tanks on my trailer so that I can stay in long term areas. being self contained makes it so much easier to comply.

BTW if anybody wants one they can have mine free. it's very clean.

highdesertranger

we have the first portapotty listed in the thread. It's a temporary situation until we get our sticks and bricks back again. Yes, you are up front and personal with your shit, but between using no toilet paper (it goes in a little wastebasket) and using Happy Camper the day before we empty it, it is liquified so there are no "lumps".

Cons : it's heavy and awkward to dump, but we don't let it fill up to the 5 gallons to keep it light. And, we're used to dealing with our own shit, so ya get used to the yuck factor.

Pros: unlike a bucket, I don't have to empty it and find a trash can to stink up every day. My nose is too sensitive to let it sit. With the portapotty, there's no odor at all unless it's actively in use. And we can go a week or more depending on whether we are using outside facilities.

We've decided that when we get on the road again we will bring the portapotty with us if we can get it to fit. We're that happy with it., especially the smell situation.
Ted

highdesertranger said:
waste tanks on my trailer so that I can stay in long term areas.  
Is there a minimum size tank required for most areas...?..an industry minimum?...

If I remember correctly 10 gallons was required in some of the BLM areas if you were not close to their micro flush stations.

in the LTVA's they want a 10gallon black tank minimum and they want it permanently mounted. it's funny because in Northern California they let you use portable systems. a port-a-pottie for black and a blue boy for grey was fine, but a bucket was not but the ammo cans that river rafters use were ok as they had automated stations that handled them. so it really depends on where you are at, lots of different regulations, however black tanks are ok everywhere.

also I believe this is only going to become more widespread as living in vehicles becomes more common. I know some areas have become real shit holes.

last year while getting gas in Quartzsite I overheard two employees bitching about people dumping their poop in the trash cans. we really need to clean up our act. in some areas all trash gets sorted by real people and nobody wants to sort your shit.

highdesertranger

I used to have over 5000 books. It really hurt getting rid of most of them I still have about 500 in storage. What does that have to do with potties. One of those books was “how to shit in the woods”. It didn’t cover van dwelling but it covered a lot of the things that are similar and had some of the most hilarious stories including a four page definition of the word shit that went into things like shitfaced, built like a brick shit house, you little shit. And with that humor was some practical information. A recommended read if it’s still available. Just wanted to add a little bit of my own poop to the discussion.

it takes to long to truly compost human feces that you could just dump anywhere. highdesertranger