Anyone here have a Sienna with an awning?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldwolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently my Toyota Sienna has roof rack side rails only. I want to install a retractable awning off on one side for camping. I probably need cross rails to be able to bolt the awning assembly to the vehicle. In your opinion, are the OEM cross rails sturdy enough to have the awning housing bolted to it while cruising down the road? I'd like to see or hear about how you installed your awning to a minivan.

These are examples of the awning assemblies I am thinking about:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCFKPN...olid=14NXO6JFJ6FYR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TRNQYP...colid=14NXO6JFJ6FYR&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I have found it to be easier and cheaper to DIY an awning. a tarp, a couple of poles, a runner if you want, done. highdesertranger

We bought the 2500mm (8' 2") ARB for our Ford Transit van, and it's nicely made. Given ARB's reputation for quality in the off-road scene, and the track record of these awnings (with a reasonable price) in-particular, it was a no-brainer for us.

I'm currently fabricating awning-specific brackets to mount it on our van, as we don't have a roof rack.

Craig

What I have found out that;s the best thing for a DIY is buy the actual awning replacement it is a heavy fabric but you can power wash it to clean and you will want to at some point ? I bought mine off ebay it wasn't cheap around 200 dollars but should last forever.
I have a converted cargo trailer so I bought one 15ft but it was so heavy and hard to roll it up for one person I decided to cut it 9ft and I had a 6 foot section that used to cover the rear door down deck area on the back of the trailer.
it worked out great and they match, the only problem is the hooks I used to attach it to the trailer leaves about a inch of space so I need to go to lowes and find some type of plastic type thing like you might use for gutters and attach that so the water will go over the gap.
on the side where I leave the awning attached I might could change the hooks to bolts and attach it to the trailer.
on the back with the rear ramp I have to put it up as I need it.
I am not a big fan of the easy up tents in fact I have a few that are broken but you can take the legs off and they work great for the corners .
one thing I also found out is the best way to stake them down is to buy the ratchet straps the cheapest ones from wall mart and they come in red to see better after you stake it down you can apply the proper tension with the ratchets

So, first thing I need are crossbars. I have pretty much decided to go with Malone Aero2 bars, they type that used t-slot fasteners. What crossbars did you put on your mini-van?